Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion 41 (Spoilers)

Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
Forum Member
✭✭
Continuation of: World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion 40 (Spoilers)
And he's done what to show that?

I would prefer it, Vince is out of touch nowadays, and I dread the days when HHH and Stephanie get all the power, because they'll push their "friends" who include the likes of Seth Rollins, to the Moon, at the expense of almost everybody else who isn't John Cena or Roman Reigns.

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,000
    Forum Member
    Rich_Allen wrote: »
    I would prefer it, Vince is out of touch nowadays, and I dread the days when HHH and Stephanie get all the power, because they'll push their "friends" who include the likes of Seth Rollins, to the Moon, at the expense of almost everybody else who isn't John Cena or Roman Reigns.

That doesn't answer the question I asked. I asked what Shane had done to prove he'd take WWE back to the good old days.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Quite a good list, all considered. I'll just point out the ones I strongly disagree with:

Goldberg - Poor in-ring competitor. One trick pony who never found any sort of overness after he lost his streak.

Booked horrifically in the WCW quagmire after streak ended but I feel he exuded a tough guy presence that HHH could only dream of and was hugely, hugely over,
    Rey Mysterio - Excellent cruiserweight who should never have been pushed as a main event competitor, or even more laughably world heavyweight champion.

In my opinion, possibly the best TV workers ever and his style revolutionised the industry. Pointing to his title run as a failing is unfair and has come to be one of the those WWE self-fulfilling prophecies. Vince didn't think he would work as champ, was persuaded by Patterson, and then booked him to lose clean on TV week after week to Angle, Henry, Khali and even Finlay. No wonder people didn't find him to be believable as champ. But a better worker than HHH in my opinion.
    Bret Hart - Lost all relevance when he left WWF. Would have been irrelevant in the Attitude Era even if he stayed.

One of the most influential stars in the business, both as a worker himself and in terms of his influence. He made Steve Austin as a top star and his Canada vs US feud was pure Attitude Era before the branding existed, as was him cursing out Vince. Better in the ring than HHH.
    AJ Styles - Has only just joined the big leagues. To say he is better than HHH at this stage is ludicrous. Great in-ring but have always been questions over his mic work.

This is one where we have to ask what the parameters of this question are. HHH is bigger as a star but I think Styles is a better worker, was influential in the beginnings of the modern indy scene and was able to seriously adapt his style going from TNA to New Japan. The fact that he managed to carve out the reputation he did in the shit show that was TNA is a testament to him in itself.
    Batista - This is a joke, right?

Nope. HHH was on top for years with a pretty poor drawing record but popped a million Mania buys with Dave. I think that tells us something. Plus, Batista was very versatile as a character, playing both heel and face to great effect and was underrated in the ring almost as much as HHH is overrated. More charismatic too.
    Terry Funk - Never made that big leap. A legend in the business but no HHH.

This criticism I find very bizarre. Not withstanding his run against Hogan on top in 1985-86 and his Chainsaw Charlie stuff in the Attitude Era, the peak of Funk's career really didn't come at a time when the WWF was the be all and end all of wrestling so criticising him for apparently not making that big leap is anachronistic. Better promo and worker than HHH and was a star in every place he wrestled, including NWA, WCW, ECW and All Japan.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK I will respond to some of those more specifically but what I will say is that you frequently say others are a "better worker" than HHH in your reasons - something that is, in many ways, down to personal preference. I love HHH's in ring style - perfect mix of technicality and brawling, plus his selling is excellent.

I was thinking about just how subjective the idea of a "good worker" is the other day...outside of The Undertaker and HBK (possibly Kurt Angle at his peak), I do not think wrestling fans have any sort of agreement as to who the best in-ring workers are. We've even see evidence of that over the last few pages - Flair is regarded by some as the best ever, others as a one-trick pony!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    FMKK I will respond to some of those more specifically but what I will say is that you frequently say others are a "better worker" than HHH in your reasons - something that is, in many ways, down to personal preference. I love HHH's in ring style - perfect mix of technicality and brawling, plus his selling is excellent.

I was thinking about just how subjective the idea of a "good worker" is the other day...outside of The Undertaker and HBK (possibly Kurt Angle at his peak), I do not think wrestling fans have any sort of agreement as to who the best in-ring workers are. We've even see evidence of that over the last few pages - Flair is regarded by some as the best ever, others as a one-trick pony!

Well yes, that sort of thing is entirely subjective bar a few consensus picks. I guess it depends on what we look for in a wrestler. But I also think you can assess the impact of their work on the bigger picture.

The only real thing we can rank them on objectively is in terms of drawing money, but that's even difficult due to changing business models over the years. But I think the discussions are interesting to have nevertheless, as long as we can back up our points.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Funk was a star everywhere. Regarded by his peers as one of the greatest talents ever.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Funk was a star everywhere. Regarded by his peers as one of the greatest talents ever.

And many forget that he only did that hardcore stuff in the late stages of his career at one time he was a very good technical wrestler.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    top all rounders is very subjective but my nods would be

1)Bret Hart
    2)HBK
    3)Kurt Angle
    4)curt henning
    5)Owen Hart
    6)Ric Flair
    7)mick floey
    8) Steve Austin
    9)the rock
    10)Sting

mentions for Undertaker, Terry Funk, Scott Hall, HHH, Brian Pillman, Jericho and goldust.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer it, Vince is out of touch nowadays, and I dread the days when HHH and Stephanie get all the power, because they'll push their "friends" who include the likes of Seth Rollins, to the Moon, at the expense of almost everybody else who isn't
    John Cena or Roman Reigns.

Lol, you do realise that NXT is ran pretty much entirely by HHH, right?

The likes of Zayn, Balor, Owens and Nakamura are the long-term future of WWE, not Reigns and Rollins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Lol, you do realise that NXT is ran pretty much entirely by HHH, right?

The likes of Zayn, Balor, Owens and Nakamura are the long-term future of WWE, not Reigns and Rollins.

Where did Reigns and Rollins come from again?
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HHH and Steph pushing Bayley, Balor, Owens, Zayn, Sasha Banks and Rollins (all of them got pushed hard in NXT so are clearly liked).
    I'm dreading it! Push those young guns Kane and Big Show instead.

Am I in a minority in thinking HHH amd Steph taking over WWE would have some positive difference but wouldn't suddenly be a magic cure for everything?

Davenport, Iowa and Pepsi Cola Beach, Florida if you're asking.
    Oh and NXT too.
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! World Heavyweight Title when he was just handed it and he refused to put over RVD and Booker at Mania!

If they were that bothered they would have used it for someone else but no same old shit in 2016 like it was in 1999 and he just wants to beat Flairs record.

Putting the World title on him without him actually winning it was a good thing to do. It played into the gimmick HHH had power over Bischoff and also led to the beginning of Evolution being born. (It was also explained that HHH was the last individual to hold the Big Gold so it was only 'fair' it was returned to him). Had they a tournament I dont see how HHH would have drawn that much heat and the many wrestlers opposed to his reign. At that time people paid tickets to see someone take the title of him, thats basically the idea behind most of his reigns to build someone up.

As for Booker T and Wrestlemania, you honestly think Vince would give WCW's last champion that glory at Mania? It was a throw away match. As for RVD, he was no more than a midcarder and putting the title on either of them would just mean feuding with HHH as there was no one credible to the title, instead with HHH retaining it lead to Nash, Steiner, HBK, Goldberg all challenging him and if we are being honest with ourselves those are much bigger names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Am I in a minority in thinking HHH amd Steph taking over WWE would have some positive difference but wouldn't suddenly be a magic cure for everything?.

I think we could be in the minority lol. Triple H is the saviour of everything. I mean, he's completely impotent in his current role as head of creative, head of talent development, head of live events but you just wait, when he becomes head of creative, head of talent development, head of live events everything will change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we could be in the minority lol. Triple H is the saviour of everything. I mean, he's completely impotent in his current role as head of creative, head of talent development, head of live events but you just wait, everything will change.

But he has no control Hollie lol!

On screen, I remember really not being of his face run and far prefer him as a heel.

In fact most of my current favourites I took a while to warm to and be won over by (not that I'm a huge HHH fan really).
    Has anyone had anything similar with their favourite superstars or have people just been fans from the start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    But he has no control Hollie lol!

On screen, I remember really not being of his face run and far prefer him as a heel.

In fact most of my current favourites I took a while to warm to and be won over by (not that I'm a huge HHH fan really).
    Has anyone had anything similar with their favourite superstars or have people just been fans from the start?

I was instantly drawn to Trips and Undertaker, love them both and pretty much always have. It took me a while to warm to Tyson and Cesaro (sobs) and for some reason I've warmed to Reigns. I didn't instantly like Lesnar when he returned but I love him now.

The biggest one I suppose I grew to love is Nikki.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

FCW. It became NXT but the next generation of NXT stars are the ones who are truely HHH's.
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest problem with HHH, is that even in out of character interviews, the man seems to be so far up his own arse it's not funny IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was instantly drawn to Trips and Undertaker, love them both and pretty much always have. It took me a while to warm to Tyson and Cesaro (sobs) and for some reason I've warmed to Reigns. I didn't instantly like Lesnar when he returned but I love him now.

The biggest one I suppose I grew to love is Nikki.

Nikki I changed my view on pretty much as soon as she turned heel back in 2014. Yes I even liked her during the 'Growing Up Bella' period. The material was the issue there not her for me.

Eve Torres was another superstar I only appreciated late on. I just thought of her as another overpushed Diva Search model but in her last 18 months I really was won over. Good in-ring, reliable and a very entertaining heel and involved in the classic 'ETH' feud. And outside of WWE too, she seems a genuinely likable, intelligent woman.

Plus she was sexy as hell - especially in those glasses. Of course not the only reason I was a fan but it didn't do any harm.

Ziggler got proper X-Pac heat from me when he first debuted in WWE. However, I actually sort of enjoyed a feud he had with Khali and he won me over very quickly with his in-ring performances.

And even Rollins (sorry) I didn't immediately warm to when he debuted on the main roster. I just thought of him as the one from the Shield with stupid hair originally. I quickly realised my error. :(:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The biggest problem with HHH, is that even in out of character interviews, the man seems to be so far up his own arse it's not funny IMHO.

Which is such a rare trait in this industry lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Nikki Bella, I only learned yesterday that she was going to move to Italy to become a professional footballer before Brie convinced her to do a WWE try-out.
  • Options
    Matthew WardMatthew Ward Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know where I can find the nWo Anthology?
    Youtube have removed it like they do everything and anything remotely interesting!
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I can find the nWo Anthology?
    Youtube have removed it like they do everything and anything remotely interesting!

search it on google then click on the dailymotion link
  • Options
    Matthew WardMatthew Ward Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    search it on google then click on the dailymotion link

Dailymotion hates my laptop!
  • Options
    AgeOfTheGeekAgeOfTheGeek Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dailymotion hates my laptop!