Options

Fancy An 18 Year Old!

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,940
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm 29 (and gay) and will be 30 in December. The other night I was out with a friend and we were having a few drinks in a bar and this guy and a girl came and sat on the seats near us in the bar. Eventually the guy went to the toilet and while he was gone the girl started chatting to us. Turned out the guy she was with was her brother. Anyway, eventually he came back from the toilet and she introduced him to me and my friend. The four of us were chatting for ages and they were both really, really nice. It was obvious that they were both younger than us. The girl was in her early twenties and it turned out that the guy had only turned 18 the day before! Anyway, they were both really nice and we ended up staying out with them the whole night and showing them around London and didn't get home until 7am. Now, I never ever go for young guys...they've never been my type. However, this guy was very good looking, but it was his personality I was more drawn to. For such a young age he was very mature. We exchanged numbers at the end of the night, but more as in a friend way...even though I could tell that he fancied me. I didn't bother messaging him or anything, however I've just been on Tinder which I go on once in a blue bloody moon and he ended up popping up. We ended up matching. I'm not sure what to do though...he's a really, really nice guy I do fancy him, but I've never dated someone so young. I'm a nightmare and so fussy and find it hard to find someone I connect with. I'm not really sure whether to pursue this or not and see what happens. Has anyone been in a similar position and has any advice?

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you planning on something serious or just a fling?

You're both of age, so there's nothing wrong with a fling. However, nothing serious is likely to come of it, and I think you know that or your wouldn't be asking for advice.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of advice are you after?

I don't think 18 and 29 (11 years difference) as an age gap is a bad thing or particularly abnormal.

It sounds like it would be based on solid foundations (ie. good personality match rather than just looks) so if you're both happy, go for it!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the same age gap as with a girl who picked me up one night when I was 29. It lasted two and a half years.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice would be - you fancy him, he apparently fancies you, you both got on well with each other and have similar interests. So, go for it.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're both of age so as far as having a bit of fun is concerned, go for it. The age gap might be an issue if you're hoping for a long term relationship but it doesn't sound impossible. A mature 18 and young 29 should be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I assume you both dont live near each other, if you were showing them around town? That might be a bigger issue than the age thing.
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my female carers is 19 (20 in July) and I'm 40 next month, I do think she's really nice but a 20 year age gap is FAR too big, and it wouldn't be appropriate to date her even if I knew her under different circumstances IMHO.

Same with 23 year old Sandy, who's recently gone on maternity leave, I think she's wonderful, funny, gorgeous, bossy, she's like a bossy little sister to me really, but even I knew her under better circumstances I'd still be 16 years and 4 and half months her senior, too big a gap IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you both dont live near each other, if you were showing them around town? That might be a bigger issue than the age thing.

I live in London and he lives about 30 minutes outside. He had been to London loads before, but had only ever done tourist stuff.
  • Options
    WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 29 and would tear my hair out dating a 18 year old..... it would be like dating my former self..... plus i feel i would be holding them back
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_Allen wrote: »
    One of my female carers is 19 (20 in July) and I'm 40 next month, I do think she's really nice but a 20 year age gap is FAR too big, and it wouldn't be appropriate to date her even if I knew her under different circumstances IMHO.

Same with 23 year old Sandy, who's recently gone on maternity leave, I think she's wonderful, funny, gorgeous, bossy, she's like a bossy little sister to me really, but even I knew her under better circumstances I'd still be 16 years and 4 and half months her senior, too big a gap IMHO.

Big gap (close to above) between my sister and her longterm boyfriend who she's been with for 30 years but never married strangely.

I know a few more between 10-20 years too. So really does depend on the individual.

Sometimes it's a fling, sometimes you end up friends, sometimes ...
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_Allen wrote: »

Can I ask, are your carers for Aspergers?

I didn't know you needed them for that.
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Can I ask, are your carers for Aspergers?

I didn't know you needed them for that.

That and other things too personal to divulge on the Internet.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nearly 11 years between hubby and I, doesn't cause is any problems. It's all about where you are in your life, if he is interested in you go for it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Age gaps should not matter.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,124
    Forum Member
    Whiskyrum wrote: »
    I'm 29 and would tear my hair out dating a 18 year old..... it would be like dating my former self..... plus i feel i would be holding them back

The 18 year old you could be quite different from the 18 year old guy in question. The OP says he came across as mature for his age.

I would say make contact and see what happens. Maybe he's not attracted to other 18 year olds,
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its your life. If it feels right, go for it! We all have to take a leap of faith sometimes.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say go for it! You seem to have similar interests and he knows you like him and vice versa. I don't think age gaps are a problem, my parents age gap is 10 years and I see nothing wrong with it at all.

If anything he might like an older man, you never know.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,308
    Forum Member
    I'm 29 (and gay) and will be 30 in December. The other night I was out with a friend and we were having a few drinks in a bar and this guy and a girl came and sat on the seats near us in the bar. Eventually the guy went to the toilet and while he was gone the girl started chatting to us. Turned out the guy she was with was her brother. Anyway, eventually he came back from the toilet and she introduced him to me and my friend. The four of us were chatting for ages and they were both really, really nice. It was obvious that they were both younger than us. The girl was in her early twenties and it turned out that the guy had only turned 18 the day before! Anyway, they were both really nice and we ended up staying out with them the whole night and showing them around London and didn't get home until 7am. Now, I never ever go for young guys...they've never been my type. However, this guy was very good looking, but it was his personality I was more drawn to. For such a young age he was very mature. We exchanged numbers at the end of the night, but more as in a friend way...even though I could tell that he fancied me. I didn't bother messaging him or anything, however I've just been on Tinder which I go on once in a blue bloody moon and he ended up popping up. We ended up matching. I'm not sure what to do though...he's a really, really nice guy I do fancy him, but I've never dated someone so young. I'm a nightmare and so fussy and find it hard to find someone I connect with. I'm not really sure whether to pursue this or not and see what happens. Has anyone been in a similar position and has any advice?

My partner is 11 years older than myself. We have been together almost 21 years and are getting married in June.

Go for it I say!
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,372
    Forum Member
    You get on like a house on fire, you fancy him and believe he fancies you, or at the very least likes you. Go for it I say! Life is too short for regrets.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tom Daley and his partner, and Stephen Fry and his partner can manage with significant age gaps, there's nothing stopping you OP.

Just remember the unwritten rule: half your age plus seven years is considered socially acceptable by many. Not that it matters either way, go for it and good luck!
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Any update on this then?
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    If Tom Daley and his partner, and Stephen Fry and his partner can manage with significant age gaps, there's nothing stopping you OP.

Just remember the unwritten rule: half your age plus seven years is considered socially acceptable by many. Not that it matters either way, go for it and good luck!

Rupert Murdoch is well inside that 85 versus 59 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I'm meeting him this weekend so we shall see what happens!
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I'm meeting him this weekend so we shall see what happens!

Aw good luck! Hope it goes well :)