Options

Have any expressions from TV shows ended up in your regular vocabulary

Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
Forum Member
Not sure where to put this thread, but here goes.

Have you heard anything on TV that you now use in your regular speaking vocabulary.

I had a hospital appointment today and wife asked me what we would do about food,
so I replied : "I'll pick up a bucket of beaks on the way back" (meaning fried chicken)

This expression "Bucket of beaks" came from Married with Children years ago, when Al Bundy was ordering food for his neighbours wedding on the cheap, and asked if the "Bucket o'beaks" came with claws as well.

I also had a habit a while back when describing anything or paraphrasing, by saying "Yadda, yadda, yadda, the thing the thing"
Which was how the oil refinery boss used to speak in "Grace Under Fire"

I know these are US shows - but - apart from Apprentice type idiots speaking like David Brent - have you or anyone you know taken to a phrase you heard on TV.
Not catchphrases - just something random that must have stuck in your brain, and you use regularly. ?

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheeeeeit (NSFW)
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Only Me - Harry Enfield
    Good Moaning - 'Allo 'Allo
    Simples - Alexsandr Orlov
    Oooh! - Frank Spencer (complete with hand gesture)

All done with correct accents of course.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was only through watching recent repeats of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, a show devoid of catchphrases, that I realised just how much of their work has entered my vocabulary.
    Soupy twist, don't be dirty, damn damn and double damn with an extra helping of damn on the side, 'something is as 'something' does for any banality whatsoever.

Most of The Fast Show seems to have entered public consciousness in a way that matches Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    It was only through watching recent repeats of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, a show devoid of catchphrases, that I realised just how much of their work has entered my vocabulary.
    Soupy twist, don't be dirty, damn damn and double damn with an extra helping of damn on the side, 'something is as 'something' does for any banality whatsoever.

Most of The Fast Show seems to have entered public consciousness in a way that matches Shakespeare.

Which was nice.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apart from the OP's initial example wouldn't all the others mentioned be regarded as catchphrases?

I guess there could be ways of constructing a sentence which would be similar to Blackadder's alliteration or Cat's "Deader than..." which you could adapt for any situation

Blackadder: He's mad! He's mad. He's madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of this year's Mr Madman competition.

The entire panel's deader than A-Line flares with pockets in the knees!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Language Timothy" - Sorry

There was a small phase during either 2001/2002 when everyone I knew used to say "Whatssssuuuppp" from the Budweiser advert but luckily it fizzled out after a few months
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True dat ! ( The Wire )

Course you can , Malcolm ! ( old TV advert )
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still say " today , I am eating yoghurt " occasionally at dinner time ( Fast Show )
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Everything I say is my opinion", which Ken Campbell's character said once on "Judge John Deed" - he was an expert witness giving evidence in a case and the opposing barrister had said something like "That's just your opinion, isn't it?" I do quote this every once in a while.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when people swear in a loud voice in the shop in which I work, I always say Language Timothy!
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not TV, but from Shrek, for 5 minutes, I used it when things are not going well!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

I've never watched The Wire but I think I just might be using that one myself from now on!
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,411
    Forum Member
    I remember my friends and I used to say "Chinny reckon" quite a lot and "Milky milky." :D
  • Options
    bahbahbahbah Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Language Timothy - sorry
    Don't panic pike- dad's army
    What I call - Miranda (thankfully I've what I've call stopped)
    Jason but pronounced Yason - lead balloon
    There's somebody at the door chant ,- rod hull emu
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of Alan Partridge, I love him, in a way.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

I forgot I use "Scorchio" and "Boutros Boutros Gali" from time to time
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luvlly jubbly.

And sometimes 'Bonnet de douche (but only if I think people will get it) It's actually french for 'shower cap' but Del Boy often said it as meaning something good.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is I, Leclerc.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get where I am today without.........

CJ (Reggie Perrin series)
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Lovely jubbly
    You plonker

Both OFAH

Kind regards, from Miranda
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I correctly answer a question on a quiz show with a fact I picked up from a TV sitcom rather than an encyclopedia or school lessons then I say "I get all my knowledge from television" which comes from Men Behaving Badly.

Dorothy: (complaining) You spent far too much time watching television.
    Tony: (defending himself) I get all my knowledge from television.
    Dorothy: All right, then, where's Bosnia?
    Tony: Ah, no, that's news. I don't watch news.

:D
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Rock and/or roll' and 'a little from column A, a little from column B' - both from The Simpsons.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I forgot I use "Scorchio" and "Boutros Boutros Gali" from time to time

Suit you Sir!
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Wouter wrote: »
    Most of Alan Partridge, I love him, in a way.

I'll use at least one Partridge quote in every conversation - usually people have no idea I'm doing it. If it's with a Partridge fan mate, or we're emailing, the quotes come thick and fast. Not just the well known ones, we know the series back to front so any random line will do.

That's saaaad.
  • Options
    KaftanmanKaftanman Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a mate called Bill and every time he swears or something he gets a shocked, breathless "William!" like Dr Ogden in Murdoch Mysteries. :-D