Options

2016: Year of the Celebrity Deaths?

Comments

• Options
    Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't really been bothered by many of the celeb deaths so far, strangely enough Victoria Woods death upset me but that's probably because I'm at that age I grew up watching her on TV and admiring her brilliance and normality. There are only a few people around at the minute that I do not look forward to hearing of their passing. Clint Eastwood, Mohameed Ali, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, Our Queen, proper stars, not jumped up nothing nobodies that are only known because of dumb social media.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Ken Dodd, Rolf Harris, Bruce Forsyth and Prince Philip. If at least one of them's not snuffed it by year's end, I'll be amazed.

I'm expecting a Jackson...and one of the younger ones alas :(
  • Options
    Robin TrippRobin Tripp Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Sonya or Robbie?
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    I'm expecting a Jackson...and one of the younger ones alas :(
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,254
    Forum Member
    It does seem as of a lot of stars are dying young this year, but sadly, it really isn't anything new.

At almost 79 I have outlived most of the great stars who were around when I was young.

The first that I remember dying was Humphrey Bogart at just 57, then Tyrone Power at only 44, Clark Gable at 59, Gary Cooper at 60, and Robert Taylor 57, so I'm afraid that it has been going on for a long time.:(
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem as of a lot of stars are dying young this year, but sadly, it really isn't anything new.

At almost 79 I have outlived most of the great stars who were around when I was young.

The first that I remember dying was Humphrey Bogart at just 57, then Tyrone Power at only 44, Clark Gable at 59, Gary Cooper at 60, and Robert Taylor 57, so I'm afraid that it has been going on for a long time.:(

You have a big birthday coming up.:)
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Sonya or Robbie?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have a big birthday coming up.:)

An even bigger one next year, I have already booked the venue. ;-)
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36108133

good article and interview with "Obituaries" guy at the BBC.
    his dept prepares the obituaries of "significant" people.

Definitely more celebs died in first 3 months of 2016

Log of obituaries used by the BBC

24 in 2016,
    5 in 2012
    8 in 2013
    11 in 2014
    12 in 2015

this was before April.
  • Options
    Sweet_ChocolateSweet_Chocolate Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Many other people die as well you know, not just celebrities.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many other people die as well you know, not just celebrities.

I'm getting rather sick of the cold, hard logic brigade on here pretending that 2016 hasn't had more celebrity deaths by this stage of the year than any recent year. As the stats above show, that is clearly NOT the case.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An even bigger one next year, I have already booked the venue. ;-)

That's the birthday I meant. ;):p
  • Options
    Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36108133

good article and interview with "Obituaries" guy at the BBC.
    his dept prepares the obituaries of "significant" people.

Definitely more celebs died in first 3 months of 2016

Log of obituaries used by the BBC

24 in 2016,
    5 in 2012
    8 in 2013
    11 in 2014
    12 in 2015

this was before April.

The problem with this metric is it only counts full-on obituaries not news articles, so the amount of famous people dying could be the same, they could be different types of famous people who only warrant a news article such as foreign political figures. Not to mention Nick Serpels added roughly 400-600 obits to the database in the past four years since that figure of 5, leaving a high probability a celeb will get a dedicated obit.

That pedantry aside the reality is it probably is the baby boomers who came to fame in the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s are reaching old age and this is just the tip of the iceberg. This is the deaths per 1000 by age group for 2013 if this continues then we can expect an absolute mass of celebrity deaths some timebetween 2015 and 2026 as deaths per 1000 rocket in baby boomers. As they've already extended this years BBC tribute to an hour, I can only imagine the length of those ones.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/death-reg-sum-tables/2013/sty-mortality-rates-by-age.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the birthday I meant. ;):p

Your an optimist aren't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

It may be fine to discuss who has already passed, but not to speculate on who might be next, which is poor taste.

Why is it "not fine" to speculate on celebrity death? Were not wishing them ill by doing so just having a punt on whether they might be the next one. Personally I reckon Kieth Richards or Muhammad Ali.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your an optimist aren't you?

Well, I am not your average nearly 80 year old, I have completed two London Marathon's in the past three years, and hope to be taking part in my 80th year too.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I am not your average nearly 80 year old, I have completed two London Marathon's in the past three years, and hope to be taking part in my 80th year too.;-)

Doing it on Sunday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doing it on Sunday?

No, I didn't get in this year, but I will be going up to cheer on my best mate, this will be his tenth London Marathon. :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really been bothered by many of the celeb deaths so far, strangely enough Victoria Woods death upset me but that's probably because I'm at that age I grew up watching her on TV and admiring her brilliance and normality. There are only a few people around at the minute that I do not look forward to hearing of their passing. Clint Eastwood, Mohameed Ali, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, Our Queen, proper stars, not jumped up nothing nobodies that are only known because of dumb social media.
    Precisely. The names who have been passing are the really significant A listers, not talent free sub z list non entities.

Who knows, everyone's expecting Prince Philip as he's nearly 95, or even the Queen now she's 90 but it could come from leftfield and end up being Charles instead knowing this year.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Collins followed by Bruce Forsyth, Lionel Blair and Paul McCartney all this year, place your bets..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Joan Collins followed by Bruce Forsyth, Lionel Blair and Paul McCartney all this year, place your bets..

Joan is on with Graham Norton now, and looks as fit as a fiddle. It is always those we never expected to die who have left us recently. I have been prepared to read about the demise of George Michael and Liza Minnelli for years, they will probably outlive us all.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's forgotten he's still alive but Fidel Castro hasn't been in good health for a long time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3548080/State-media-Fidel-Castro-attends-Cuban-Communist-congress.html
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan is on with Graham Norton now, and looks as fit as a fiddle.
    I know, she doesn't look her age at all! I still find her attractive and I'm 23. :blush: I hope she's got a few more years in her yet but you never know with the way this year is going.

I'll add David Attenborough to the list of predicted deaths.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    I know, she doesn't look her age at all! I still find her attractive and I'm 23. :blush: I hope she's got a few more years in her yet but you never know with the way this year is going.

I'll add David Attenborough to the list of predicted deaths.
    This reminds me of another David who seems to have vanished from public gaze but was all over the place a few years ago and widely mimicked. He even came to my school in the 80's for a summer fete - David Bellamy. He's still alive and kicking somewhere aged 83.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is concern for Caroline Aherne, who has cancer, and her voice hasn't been heard Gogglebox for the past two weeks. :(