Options

Six degrees of separation theory

Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Only just recently come across this and it's quite an interesting theory indeed. For those who don't know, it basically means that you are within 6 steps of being introduced to absolutely anyone alive in the world. There's a lot to read up about it, which I've skimmed briefly on the Wikipedia page..

Do you think it could possibly hold true? It's hard to picture myself inadvertently shaking hands with Kim-Jong-Un through mutual friends of friends, but then again, is it impossible? We have no idea who friends of friends of friends of friends know.

Comments

• Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it's literally true, but I do believe the concept is likely true. That being, you're 6 steps removed from a great many people, some of whom you'd never expect. But that doesn't mean you really are "connected" to them.

For example, I found out once that I'm 3 steps removed from someone famous. I'm not though, it's meaningless, there isn't a chance in hell that I would ever be able to use that connection for, well, anything.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been tested.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,355
    Forum Member
    Ask Kevin Bacon.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like it's an obvious question: What about someone who has no friends?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has been disproved.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    I feel like it's an obvious question: What about someone who has no friends?

That hit home hard :cry:
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,839
    Forum Member
    Only just recently come across this and it's quite an interesting theory indeed. For those who don't know, it basically means that you are within 6 steps of being introduced to absolutely anyone alive in the world. There's a lot to read up about it, which I've skimmed briefly on the Wikipedia page..

Do you think it could possibly hold true? It's hard to picture myself inadvertently shaking hands with Kim-Jong-Un through mutual friends of friends, but then again, is it impossible? We have no idea who friends of friends of friends of friends know.

I have worked out only five stages from myself to Kim-Jong-Un *probably only four.

Here it is; I had a neighbour who worked in the film industry as a technician who had worked with Angelina Jolie. She knows (and apparently hates) Madonna. Madonna dated Dennis Rodman (basketball player) who is one of the few people from the west to have visited Kim Jong-un (in 2013).
    *It is highly likely Jolie has met Rodman so that is one less.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I think it has been disproved.

Not

Proof! Just six degrees of separation between us
    In a world of 6.6 billion people, it does seem hard to believe. The theory of six degrees of separation contends that, because we are all linked by chains of acquaintance, you are just six introductions away from any other person on the planet.

But yesterday researchers announced the theory was right - nearly. By studying billions of electronic messages, they worked out that any two strangers are, on average, distanced by precisely 6.6 degrees of separation. In other words, putting fractions to one side, you are linked by a string of seven or fewer acquaintances to Madonna, the Dalai Lama and the Queen.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend's ex boss knew Nelson Mandela well, so I'm only a few steps away from many world leaders and celebrities...I'm sure one of them must have met Kim Jong Un
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Read Granovetter's 'Strength of Weak Ties' (1973). I'm quite lucky in as much as my Strong Ties (father, husband), place me one handshake away from Downing Street (and therefore 2 handshakes from most world leaders), and also one handshake from the Queen. By extension, if I'm the node, then you are now one additional handshake away from that network. Job done.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You will never shake hands with Kim Jong-un. The idea is that someone you know personally knows someone who knows someone, et cetera [x6] ..who knows Kim Jong-un, or whoever, not that you will ever be introduced to everyone in the world!

It does indeed hold true and has been proven mathemagically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a average though. Some people will be connected to others by 1 mutual person but others may be 100. The idea that's only and ever 6 is not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will never shake hands with Kim Jong-un. The idea is that someone you know personally knows someone who knows someone, et cetera [x6] ..who knows Kim Jong-un, or whoever, not that you will ever be introduced to everyone in the world!

It does indeed hold true and has been proven mathemagically.

What about a person with no friends or known relatives? The people you read stories about being found in their house dead five or so years after they actually passed...

They can never be connected with any other person and all other people can never be connected to them.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I have worked out only five stages from myself to Kim-Jong-Un *probably only four.

Here it is; I had a neighbour who worked in the film industry as a technician who had worked with Angelina Jolie. She knows (and apparently hates) Madonna. Madonna dated Dennis Rodman (basketball player) who is one of the few people from the west to have visited Kim Jong-un (in 2013).
    *It is highly likely Jolie has met Rodman so that is one less.

I can do it in three- a friend of mine used to write for Terrorizer magazine and became good friends with Milan Fras, the lead singer of the Slovenian industrial band Laibach, who last year became the first Western band to play in Pyongyang, where they were introduced to Kim.

...all of which means everyone in this thread is now within six steps of the fella, if we count conversing online...

(I've also been in a film with Angelina Jolie- I was an extra in one of her scenes in Hackers. But it's apparently a rubbish film, so that might not count).
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    my friend's ex boss knew Nelson Mandela well, so I'm only a few steps away from many world leaders and celebrities...I'm sure one of them must have met Kim Jong Un

Yes, that works for me too. My parents had dinner in the presence of the Queen (and met her, obviously) who has connections to many people, some of whom I feel sure must have met Kim Jong Un.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I can do it in three- a friend of mine used to write for Terrorizer magazine and became good friends with Milan Fras, the lead singer of the Slovenian industrial band Laibach, who last year became the first Western band to play in Pyongyang, where they were introduced to Kim.

...all of which means everyone in this thread is now within six steps of the fella, if we count conversing online...

(I've also been in a film with Angelina Jolie- I was an extra in one of her scenes in Hackers. But it's apparently a rubbish film, so that might not count).

In that case I am definitely only 4 from Kim because I have of course met you.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Laibach are ace. I corresponded with Trent Reznor for a good few years so that should net me a good few oddities from film and music. Arnie in 2 or 3 for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Laibach are ace. I corresponded with Trent Reznor for a good few years so that should net me a good few oddities from film and music. Arnie in 2 or 3 for example.

Trent'd instantly get you anyone from Genesis P-Orridge to David Lynch, Oliver Stone or Lindsay Buckingham...
    In that case I am definitely only 4 from Kim because I have of course met you.

You have indeed! Which also, though I don't like to mention it, puts you at one remove from Buzz Aldrin.

Of course, on one level this is how conspiracy theories work...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...actually, all this has just reminded me of a conversation I was having at work the other day with one of our volunteers. We've both lived in the same area for years, have many of the same interests and know all the same pubs and clubs, and it's kind of odd how we don't have any friends in common (or didn't before we became friends ourselves). Turns out, however, we both DO have friends who have met Michael Fagin, the bloke who broke into Buckingham Palace years ago... which is an odd connection, considering it would make far more logical sense for us to have joint local friends.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...actually, all this has just reminded me of a conversation I was having at work the other day with one of our volunteers. We've both lived in the same area for years, have many of the same interests and know all the same pubs and clubs, and it's kind of odd how we don't have any friends in common (or didn't before we became friends ourselves). Turns out, however, we both DO have friends who have met Michael Fagin, the bloke who broke into Buckingham Palace years ago... which is an odd connection, considering it would make far more logical sense for us to have joint local friends.

It's odd how on a local level it's sometimes a bit round the houses to get a link but internatonally many people are 1, 2 or 3 away from megastars and politicians etc.
    I also have an Uncle who headed up a forensic psychistry research project in secure hospitals in England which would net me some unusual names and deeply unpleasant people like Beverley Allit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trent'd instantly get you anyone from Genesis P-Orridge to David Lynch, Oliver Stone or Lindsay Buckingham...

You have indeed! Which also, though I don't like to mention it, puts you at one remove from Buzz Aldrin.

Of course, on one level this is how conspiracy theories work...

Indeed I was going to make that my original example of being only two from the first man on the Moon i.e. you-Buzz-Neil - but I remembered how reluctant you are to make your link to Buzz public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed I was going to make that my original example of being only two from the first man on the Moon i.e. you-Buzz-Neil - but I remembered how reluctant you are to make your link to Buzz public.

It's OK. We're among friends-of-friends-of-friends.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents have met Edith Head (back in the 70's), which puts me a couple of steps away from many big Hollywood stars, directors, etc.

Oooh, get me :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    My parents have met Edith Head (back in the 70's), which puts me a couple of steps away from many big Hollywood stars, directors, etc.

Oooh, get me :p

Wow; Edith Head she must be on more film credits than other person living or dead apart from Dolby and even more than Ken Morse.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    When I first heard about the theory I was somewhat sceptical as my immediate thought was "... but I don't know anyone famous".

However, Dad told me that he'd been at school with Stanley Baxter and it didn't take much effort to find out that Baxter had worked with British stars such as Ronnie Barker, Leslie Phillips, James Robertson Justice, Julie Christie, John le Mesurier, Terry Scott, Dennis Waterman, Frankie Howerd and Eric Sykes ... to name but a few. I'm pretty sure Baxter must have met the Queen at some point, but even if he didn't, several of those on the list certainly did, so that also opened up a long list of world leaders.

In addition, Baxter appeared in a Bing Crosby Christmas Special, which also featured David Bowie, so there was an immediate connection to the film and music industry here and in The States across several decades.

I've actually just followed that one up ... with an interesting outcome.

1. My father who was at school with ...
    2. Stanley Baxter who appeared in a TV special with ...
    3. Bing Crosby who sang a duet with ...
    4. Marlene Dietrich who was friends with ...
    5. Ernst Udet, the WWI fighter ace, who became the Director-General of Equipment for the Luftwaffe in WWII so often met with ...
    6. Adolf Hitler! :o