Options

Bauer buys Orion Media

Comments

• Options
    richardpaul1987richardpaul1987 Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they don't fiddle with GEM they should be OK. Pretty much expected this to happen.
  • Options
    Sophie_GreeneSophie_Greene Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRMB1, 2 etc?
  • Options
    Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,326
    Forum Member
    Gosh that was quick, preahaps they will morph it into the city 1 network who knows.
  • Options
    richardpaul1987richardpaul1987 Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it helps bring them to their former glory, why not? Free 80s may turn to city 2 stations.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was surprisingly quick.

I hope they restore the old names (BRMB, Mercia etc). Free 80s could become a relay of Absolute 80s or perhaps more likely become part of the Bauer 2 network.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I hope they restore the old names (BRMB, Mercia etc). Free 80s could become a relay of Absolute 80s or perhaps more likely become part of the Bauer 2 network.

I do hope that happens as the websites are still registered despite not being used since 2010..
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,183
    Forum Member
    Wyvern 1 (on FM in Hereford & Worcestershire) with Wyvern 2 (on DAB only)

Would that work?

Wonder if Bauer will put any other of their stations on DAB in the 2 counties?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or how about a risk of a regional show on Absolute FM?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or how about a risk of a regional show on Absolute FM?

I don't think they will be adding regional content to 105.2FM, it's a "qualifying regional" which is covered by the D1 carriage of Absolute.

There are a couple of other questions - will they merge Free Birmingham & Coventry, and what will happen to Gem 106?

They could put Gem on Sound Digital, which would be a strong national competitor to Heart.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased with this development. I only really listen to Free Radio 80s for their Monday and Friday Goalzone football coverage, so I had feared that had Global got their hands on Orion these programmes would be discontinued given their track record of cancelling local sports output over the past 10-12 years.

While Bauer ended their local radio football commentary deals in Liverpool and Scotland last year, they have a much better record of maintaining local sports coverage and have retained their football phone-ins on Radio City and Clyde, so I'm confident The Goalzone - a well established programme hosted by one of the longest-tenured sports radio broadcasters in the country in Tom Ross - will receive the same sort of treatment and survive the change of ownership.
  • Options
    Mark MMark M Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So most people's predictions were on the money - good to see!

I guess this means the possibility of the heritage brands returning is now very real. It's certainly the way Bauer tends to work with stations like these.

Of course, any return of those brands is likely to come at the expense of most Midlands-based shows outside of weekday daytimes, but hard to see any scenario where that wouldn't have been the case.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see Bauer changing much with Gem 106 as its a very popular station the only thing they might do is add an overnight show.

On Free Radio I think they could go back to their original names and become part of the city 1 network. If this happens Breakfast will be extended to 10. They may introduce local 10-2 shows and then 2 o clock anthems followed by drive then join the network from 7pm - 6am
  • Options
    Radio_GeekRadio_Geek Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious to know if they'll keep Gem 106 out of the place 1 network. I'll put my money on sam and amy getting a show across the bauer city network on weekends. Replacing Paddy on Sunday?
  • Options
    Scotty_BScotty_B Posts: 2,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if it helps bring them to their former glory, why not?

Free is miles better than Bauer City network, Bauer have destroyed their network, yeah they may get their original names back but thats got to be scant consolation for the dire crap that will come out of the speakers.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_Geek wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if they'll keep Gem 106 out of the place 1 network. I'll put my money on sam and amy getting a show across the bauer city network on weekends. Replacing Paddy on Sunday?

Im thinking Saturday mornings replacing Stu and Kelly
  • Options
    mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    A little curve ball here but could Gem be the name they use for the City 1 stations? The rebranding of the WM stations would pave the way and Gem although means Great East Midlands, it doesn't have to mean anything elsewhere.

Although my money is Gem becoming Magic unfortunately but on the plus side, WM gains heritage names.

Interesting times ahead.
  • Options
    Scotty_BScotty_B Posts: 2,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Why would they use such a stupid name?
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Scotty_B wrote: »
    No. Why would they use such a stupid name?

Makes as much sense as 'Free'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldenage wrote: »
    Makes as much sense as 'Free'
    Because people related more to BRMB and it's history?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Im thinking Saturday mornings replacing Stu and Kelly

A slot on one of the magic station's highly likely.
  • Options
    HistoricDealerHistoricDealer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it all gone through without any competition issues?

I would say within a month of the official purchase date, brmb et al will be back.

Gem will stay as Gem in exactly the same way Wave is still Wave.

Sam and Amy will be on City 1 weekends in a similar timeframe.

Great news for pretty much everyone.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bauer are the people that own the City stations in Liverpool arent they?

If thats the case, when I was up in Liverpool last year, I caught a bit of Pete Price up there.

They need a decent late talk host, not flipping love songs!

Any one got Ian Perry's number, as the Midnight Line should come back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I,m looking forward to it actually. :)
  • Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free 1 Free 2 Free 3 and Free Talk would be good
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,183
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind betting Bauer will take some capacity on D1 for putting Gem out on DAB nationally - no room on SDL... now that would give Heart a real run for its money!

Also wondering if Bauer may put one or more of its other stations on to the Mux Co multiplex for Herefordshire & Worcestershire?