Options

Cannes bans the Burkini

Sultan TigerSultan Tiger Posts: 1,225
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The mayor of Cannes in southern France has banned full-body swimsuits known as "burkinis" from the beach, citing public order concerns.
David Lisnard said they are a "symbol of Islamic extremism" and might spark scuffles, as France is the target of Islamist attacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37056742

Was the mayor right to ban the Burkini? 147 votes

Yes
66% 98 votes
No
33% 49 votes

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll just buy a wetsuit and swim cap instead.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Even if this had nothing to do with muslim dress or wasn't associated with Islam in any way, I think the whole outfit would still look a bit "wrong".....considering that in general, women will choose to wear either a swimsuit or bikini, so suddenly this outfit comes out and will look far too conservative for the majority I'd assume.

BUT, due to the fact that it's associated with muslims and the religión in general then I'm not surprised by the mayor having banned it on their beaches.

Due to recent terror attacks in France obviously. I suppose noone wants reminders of a religion that breeds extremism.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,858
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. I love France- I have family there- but when will thry start realising that dictating what women can wear is just not cool. When I think of symbol of religious extremism, a burkini doesn't automatically spring to mind... but hey, let's pick on the girls, eh?
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a tricky one. There is obviously a level of paranoia at the moment there so I can understand why they have taken this decision even if I dont know if it is right. I dont know what the solution is though :/
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    ISIS are winning. It isn't all about bombs and bullets.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Even if this had nothing to do with muslim dress or wasn't associated with Islam in any way, I think the whole outfit would still look a bit "wrong".....considering that in general, women will choose to wear either a swimsuit or bikini, so suddenly this outfit comes out and will look far too conservative for the majority I'd assume.

BUT, due to the fact that it's associated with muslims and the religión in general then I'm not surprised by the mayor having banned it on their beaches.

Due to recent terror attacks in France obviously. I suppose noone wants reminders of a religion that breeds extremism.

So anyone who's recognisably Muslim should stay out of sight and cover their place of worship with a tarpaulin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. I love France- I have family there- but when will thry start realising that dictating what women can wear is just not cool. When I think of symbol of religious extremism, a burkini doesn't automatically spring to mind... but hey, let's pick on the girls, eh?
    I don't think it's about dictating what women can wear is it? I've never seen a woman wearing a burkini on a beach, so I'd assume from that, that it's a recent phenomenum, that is generally worn by muslim women.

Following rules is not being dictated to. That is basically what society is....obviously.

And in truth, it is associated with Islam, and considering that the terror attacks France has suffered recently have been from extremists of that religion, then I can hardly blame the mayor for taking the initiative of banning it.

It's a bit like rubbing someones face in it isn't it....
  • Options
    IronwithinIronwithin Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    People should not have to see their outward religious attire in a public place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems before the muslims could even get out-raged, the left has mobilised to over-rule the mayor.

The League of Human Rights (LDH) said it would challenge the ban in court.
    "It is time for politicians in this region to calm their discriminatory ardour and defend the spirit of the Republic," local LDH leader Herve Lavisse said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    So anyone who's recognisably Muslim should stay out of sight and cover their place of worship with a tarpaulin?
    No, I'm merely talking about the thread subject of the burkini.

I've just read the BBC article, and tbh, the burkini looks absolutely ridiculous in the same way as the burqa does.

Yes, that's purely my opinión, but I am glad that this decisión has been taken. Especially in this present climate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    No, I'm merely talking about the thread subject of the burkini.

So it's only when in close proximity to the sea that people shouldn't be reminded of the religion? That's an odd criterion.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he forgotten that Muslims also died in the Nice and most other European Islamist terrorist attacks? What does he think he'll achieve by implying that any woman who chooses to wear a burkini is an Islamist?
    Both are damned insulting and insensitive and at a time when the opposite should be the reality.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Ironwithin wrote: »
    People should not have to see their outward religious attire in a public place.

Do you feel the same with a nun in a habit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it's only when in close proximity to the sea that people shouldn't be reminded of the religion? That's an odd criterion.
    No idea why you're trying to twist what I've said....

I've no idea of when the burkini came in ( I've never seen one on a beach, so I can imagine it's a recent thing) and if there was no association with Islam, then maybe it'd be ok....anyone would certainly stand out, and it would look a bit odd, but I doubt it'd be banned.

But due to the fact that it is associated with Islam, hence the reason for the banning of it. In the same way that the burqua was banned.

I don't think its anything to do with implying that every muslim is a potential terrorist etc, I just think maybe the French are trying to keep their practices and their culture as they are and have always been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Has he forgotten that Muslims also died in the Nice and most other European Islamist terrorist attacks? What does he think he'll achieve by implying that any woman who chooses to wear a burkini is an Islamist?
    Both are damned insulting and insensitive and at a time when the opposite should be the reality.

But do you really think that is what he is implying?

And yes I agree with you about not being insulting and insensitive in these times we're living in, but that can be applied to muslims as well, when although the majority of them are not going to be in agreement with extremists, they must know though that to wear a garment that basically shrieks Islam to all may not be the most sensible thing to wear.....
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

It's to avoid a wave of extremism. An undercurrent of fanaticism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

That's a bit of a shallow interpretation that relies on the assumption the clothing is tide to the level of radicalisation in the brine of the viewer.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité is dead
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité is dead

Pandering to conservative Islam long term wont increase liberté or égalité - seems the French have figured that out.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »

So France thinks the best way to avoid extremism is to piss them off by banning their religious attire??
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally I'm in favor of people wearing whatever they want, but I don't see the burkini as something to celebrate, if it's existence is due to people being conditioned to see it as wrong to dress appropriately for swimming.
  • Options
    Floyd_Goodman.Floyd_Goodman. Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I agree it should be banned im sorry but who knows what they could be hiding down it. Theres no need for it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was Iran hanging gay people, or Saudi Arabia refusing women the right to drive, many posters on here would be saying "their country, their rules".

So same applies in this instance.
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    I agree it should be banned im sorry but who knows what they could be hiding down it. Theres no need for it.

That applies to any clothing. What are you hiding in your clothing at the moment?
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding a mask and flippers to this attire will be one way of cleverly circumventing the ban
This discussion has been closed.