Options

Frequency - US Pace

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone who watched the film with Dennis Quaid back in the mists of time might enjoy this new series. A present day police detective discovers that she is able to speak via a ham radio with her estranged father who died in 1996. Starts on Wednesday.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2461644313/

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curious to see how this plays out.

Will they wrap up the plot of the film in the first couple of episodes or stretch it out over the whole season?

If it is wrapped up do the father and daughter carry on solving crimes of the week (whilst trying not to mess the timeline up too much)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Curious to see how this plays out.

Will they wrap up the plot of the film in the first couple of episodes or stretch it out over the whole season?

If it is wrapped up do the father and daughter carry on solving crimes of the week (whilst trying not to mess the timeline up too much)?

I think he's a policeman too in this. Wasn't he a fireman in the film? So, I imagine it's about different crimes. Looking forward to seeing how they play it out.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly, in the movie Dennis Quaid was a fireman who originally died in a fire in the past. His son is a present day police officer who finds his dad's old radio and is able to use it to communicate with his dad in the past.

So they've changed the son into a daughter?

I always liked the movie. Not sure how it'll pan out over a series though, unless the movie plot is the story arc spread over several episodes and it's a one-off series. Much as I love time travel stories when they're done well, I don't think the concept has the legs to work as standard, episodic, solve-the-crime-of-the-week TV fayre.

I'll have to look out for a UK broadcaster. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was a son in the film played by Jim Caviezel. Also, for fans of the genre there's another one starting tonight called Timeless.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi782218777/
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    The plot seems very Back to the Future in that they change the timeline then have to work together to bring back the old one but with improvements.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, for fans of the genre there's another one starting tonight called Timeless.

Had forgotten about this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was a son in the film played by Jim Caviezel. Also, for fans of the genre there's another one starting tonight called Timeless.

Someone who's going to watch should start a US Pace thread for Timeless as it starts tonight. Looks more of an action series than careful study about the consequences of meddling with time.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (posted in the correct thread this time)

Wow. :)
    one of the problems with time travel shows is how the characters limit themselves with what they try to accomplish. Looks like the show will be concerned with saving mom and capturing the serial killer but she could do so much more.
    eg. get a list of kidnapped kids from that year, and a list of murdered people too, send this info back to 19## ?, save a bunch of people, QED. But they never seem to think of doing that.
    Similarly with that old 7 days show, I woulda REALLY liked them, right after the guy gets in the machine, so us to've seen some mysterious guy add a thumb drive into some secret compartment. Then, when the pod is retrieved, some other mysterious guy would get the drive and act on the info - stocks and other stuff kinda thing. But nope.
    Even so I can forget about the potential bigger scope of the show and enjoy it for what it is. :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A good start, faithful to the film.

Personally I hope they get the family stuff out of the way early (as we've seen it all from the film) and then make it a procedural about solving crimes using the time thing.

I think there is some TV law that says a character can't use time travel to profit from. :)

That's why gambling never works, ala 7 Days, or Goodnight Sweetheart.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see the film. Thought the pilot of the series has potential. I know it is fantasy, but the daughter taking the radio to her dad in the hospital was just silly - no antenna to connect it to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    Didn't see the film. Thought the pilot of the series has potential. I know it is fantasy, but the daughter taking the radio to her dad in the hospital was just silly - no antenna to connect it to.

Yes that bit didn't make sense to me either. I can only assume he either set up and antenna in the hospital or he contacted her after getting out of the hospital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think there is some TV law that says a character can't use time travel to profit from. :)

That's why gambling never works, ala 7 Days, or Goodnight Sweetheart.

Or use it to save anyone they aren't personally connected to. :)

And also the amount of change their time travel tinkling causes is directly related to the budget of the show. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

And also the amount of change their time travel tinkling causes is directly related to the budget of the show. :p

Yes that is the most important rule of TV Time travel shows. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought at the beginning it lacked the better and eerie atmosphere that the film had, when the sky was lit up because of the solar activity. Anyway, I thought the rest of it was good and so will stick with it.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first episode was pretty good.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw the film so I have nothing to compare it to but I thought the pilot was excellent. You always have to ignore a lot of the "timey-wimey" stuff in show like this and just accept what's happening but this seems to have a fresh enough concept to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similarly with that old 7 days show, I woulda REALLY liked them, right after the guy gets in the machine, so us to've seen some mysterious guy add a thumb drive into some secret compartment. Then, when the pod is retrieved, some other mysterious guy would get the drive and act on the info - stocks and other stuff kinda thing. But nope.

But how would the mysterious guy 7 days ago know that the mysterious guy in the present had planted the info? And would the information be valid anyway given that the purpose of the mission was specifically to change history (butterfly effect and all that)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I'm out.

It's gone down the wrong route IMO.

It follows too closely the film plot, which we have already seen, but it does it in too serous and po-faced a way.

The father is not a likeable character unlike in the film and Payton just doesn't pull off her character.

I was hoping it would be more a case of the week show, using the knowledge of the future to change the past while trying not to affect her own life with any changes.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Sadly I'm out.

It follows too closely the film plot, which we have already seen, but it does it in too serous and po-faced a way.

The father is not a likeable character unlike in the film and Payton just doesn't pull off her character.

I was hoping it would be more a case of the week show, using the knowledge of the future to change the past while trying not to affect her own life with any changes.

I think a lot of series if based on a film tend to follow the same path for the first season, I loved the film but both Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel are excellent in it, not sure Peyton and whoever the guy is who plays the dad have the magic to hold the show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I'm out.

I'm not out but it tried my patience when she didn't speak to her mom. Serious, WTF was that all about. Stupid, just frickin stupid. She goes off on her dad for not doing anything, then when she has the PERFECT frickin opportunity to help save her mom she wusses out. What a dink. >:(
    And that uncovering of the 'bunker' at the end. Seriously, the home owner would've filled that sucker in years ago, right ?! And if they find bones in it that have laid there undiscovered for all those years then f@ck this show. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Baz_James wrote: »
    But how would the mysterious guy 7 days ago know that the mysterious guy in the present had planted the info? And would the information be valid anyway given that the purpose of the mission was specifically to change history (butterfly effect and all that)?
    someone shifty involved in the program could do the following:
    Jan1 - build the hidden compartment
    Jan2 - pins note on fridge, "if machine ever appears from the future and our team is sent out to retrieve it, check the hidden compartment"
    then from Jan3 onwards each day he notes down the winning horses in each race onto a usb drive
    [then he waits, the program was running for years]
    April 7A - he gets such an order and is sent to retrieve the pod because .....
    ( on April 14 - guy+pod was sent back, but before he leaves, our mysterious guy puts that usb drive in the compartment. )
    April 7B - he's got the drive and sees the results from Jan3 up to April13, he puts money on those from April 8th onwards, and wins billions.*
    This is just an example, he could put the names of murdered people.
    He could've even done a deal with a high powered firm whereby each day they list their mistakes, things they wish they'd done, things they wish they hadn't. He then takes the drive to them and they have 6 days worth of actionable information, like bidding $5million more will win them that contract.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I'm not out but it tried my patience when she didn't speak to her mom. Serious, WTF was that all about. Stupid, just frickin stupid. She goes off on her dad for not doing anything, then when she has the PERFECT frickin opportunity to help save her mom she wusses out. What a dink. >:(
    And that uncovering of the 'bunker' at the end. Seriously, the home owner would've filled that sucker in years ago, right ?! And if they find bones in it that have laid there undiscovered for all those years then f@ck this show. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

^^^^^ That just about covers it for me, wanted them to find the girl running or something as they were leaving or discover her to see the memories changing...cos I was wondering what would happen to the detective partner? guys memories
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And that uncovering of the 'bunker' at the end. Seriously, the home owner would've filled that sucker in years ago, right ?! And if they find bones in it that have laid there undiscovered for all those years then f@ck this show.

I didn't even get that far, it would have definitely put me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the start of the ep when that nurse got taken I was "hey, doesn't our gal have access to ALL the killers victims records, so shouldn't she know that this gal was taken at that date and thus would've been able to slip that info into the conversation with her dad" ?

But then the show won me over cos it appeared that with this nurse being in a different area, her abduction hadn't been linked to the killer. Hey, the show DID think things through when writing the ep.

Then with her speechlessness and the midnight gardening my :cool: turned to :cry:

Please let them turn it around in ep3 cos ep1 was a cracker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    I think a lot of series if based on a film tend to follow the same path for the first season, I loved the film but both Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel are excellent in it, not sure Peyton and whoever the guy is who plays the dad have the magic to hold the show
    It's an interesting show but yes they've made it far too serious - few touching light hearted moments- and it's hard to feel sympathetic to the characters particularly the daughter who is constantly moody and aggressive and I'm afraid not very likeable. Dad character is all right but he's been pushed around by his bullying daughter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still sticking with it, but that did grate too when the daughter wouldn't speak to her mother over the radio after all the fuss she'd made telling her dad to do it. I think the mother's still in danger, so far, and so that would still be her first priority. I'm also not feeling the friendlier atmosphere they all had in the film. What's the deal with her supposed best friend? He's also coming across as being a bit of a weirdo at the moment.