Options

Why did spitting image finish

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
Forum Member
Ok i know this is a bite late, by about 10 years or so, but I used to love spitting image i thought it was one of the best politcal satire shows back in the day, and i thought it was much loved by the nation, but why did it finish, There is enough material to do it again, and the puppets were amazing, why did the do 2dtv instead surely this was more time consuming than the puppets???

any anwers would be grateful

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Sorry I dont know why but I also enjoyed it and no, the cost and time would be a lot greater if they did puppets instead of 2Dtv. You could do a 2DTV episode quite easily on any computer alot quicker, but for the puppets you would need costumes, sets, cameras, lighting, puppeteers, etc.

Although I think it might have been due to poor viewing figures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    maybe coz im a artist l liked the simple use of puppetry to portray the leaders, and in foriegn countries like russia and germany they still have similar programs, so i have heard. I would love to bring it back, it would be good now. Wonder if they could put it on BBC4 or something. Good place for it. U think the bbc would buy it ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    First off, I don't know why.

But.

Well, everyone has an opinion and here's mine.

I think it was running out of steam and was getting less and less funny. (And maybe less and less people were watching it, hence reduced viewing figures and eventual cancellation). Damn it, it was on Comedy Connections a few months ago, they probably explained its demise. I watched it but alas I can't remember what they said ...

Ah, but in it's glory days, it was surely one of the greatest satire programmes the British Isles has ever seen!
  • Options
    CaramelCaramel Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard recently there have been discussions about its return to our screens. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c3096824 wrote:
    Ok i know this is a bite late, by about 10 years or so, but I used to love spitting image i thought it was one of the best politcal satire shows back in the day, and i thought it was much loved by the nation, but why did it finish, There is enough material to do it again, and the puppets were amazing, why did the do 2dtv instead surely this was more time consuming than the puppets???

any anwers would be grateful

Possibly because the Tories were easy to lampoon whereas Blair et al are beyond parody...
  • Options
    GWRGWR Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spitting Image was axed because it had simply run out of steam... actually, many people believed that it stopped being good about five or six years before it was finally dumped.

The audience figures were well down on what it used to get in its heyday, and it was actually a fairly expensive programme to make. As has been pointed out, 2DTV allows a Spitting Image-style format to be produced much more quickly and at considerably less cost.

If you haven't already, you might like to seek out the book "Tooth And Claw" by Lewis Chester - it's the behind-the-scenes story of how Spitting Image came to be made, and it details just how expensive it was (and why). It's long out of print, but you can pick up a second-hand copy via Abebooks.co.uk - they have one at the moment for 55p!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this the other day, it's time it came back, it's been so long now I am sure it would be fresh and have a whole new audience
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    ISTR the explanation at the time (ie. the height of the Tory sleaze allegations) was, that real life had become funnier than anything the Spitting Image writers could come up with.
  • Options
    GWRGWR Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this the other day, it's time it came back, it's been so long now I am sure it would be fresh and have a whole new audience

But why go to the considerable expense of making a sketch-based satirical show with puppets when you can make exactly the same jokes much more cheaply with 2DTV?

Spitting Image really was a very expensive show to make. They had to pay for the puppet workshop, the puppet operators, the voice artists, set design and construction, wardrobe, several days of studio time per episode, plus editing and other post-production... nobody is going to greenlight that kind of expense any more, not when 2DTV has shown how you can achieve the same basic effect much more cost-effectively.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    Those puppets were so scary. :eek:
  • Options
    go_bravesgo_braves Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I always felt the 'puppets' were great but that the scripts were poor most of the time.
    The all time great Spitting Image sketch was when Mrs Thatcher and her Cabinet were out at a posh restaurant having a meal.
    Maggie said to the waiter 'I'll have the steak please.'
    The waiter said to Mrs T 'and the vegetables ?'
    She replied 'Oh they'll all have the same as me' !!!
  • Options
    Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think (as with many satirical shows) the material was becoming tired. The conservatives were in power and nothing that interesting was happening. But now with the Iraq situation and George W Bush they could be as good as their 80s heyday. I really enjoyed the Ronald Regan sketches. They should bring it back. And I actually heard a rumor a couple of years ago that it was to return in 2005. So far nothing more, so I guess it was just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    JJ2005JJ2005 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I was a fan of Spitting Image but, as has already been pointed out a few times, it had run out of steam at the end. The later series were nothing special. It probably should have been kliied off a few years before its eventual demise.

I think Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and other popular comedy shows benefit from not overdoing it year on year.

There were only 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers made and every single one of them is outstanding. There were only 24 episodes of Blackadder made plus a few specials, again every episode is a gem.

Conversely I remember many terrible episodes of Spitting Image towards the end.

Quit at the top appears to be the right thing.
  • Options
    Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Winner's puppet was equally as stomach churning as the real thing, but the most vile had to be Kenneth (the snail) Baker who was at one time the Education Minister. Douglas (Mr Whippy hairdo) Hurd had a funny voice and I personally loved the Kenneth Clarke puppet complete with tin of beer in hand. Roy Hattersly stood out because he spat as he spoke and water squirted out just like the crying Gazza puppet. Puppets aside, I think that just before the scripts became humourless, I found the Margaret Thatcher sketches where she seemed unhinged were well presented. Superbly chilling like she was in an old folks homes and suffering from dimensia hysteria and paranoia, priceless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    What about Rod Stewart, who had a certain male part for a nose ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Dr Quincy wrote:
    Puppets aside, I think that just before the scripts became humourless, I found the Margaret Thatcher sketches where she seemed unhinged were well presented. Superbly chilling like she was in an old folks homes and suffering from dimensia hysteria and paranoia, priceless.

Ah yes, very Miss Haversham! Room filled with cobwebs, Mrs T sitting in an armchair, rocking back and forth "I used to be Prime Minister, y'know"
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Plunkett
    Friday May 20, 2005

Plans to resurrect satirical puppet show Spitting Image have been abandoned after one of its original creators dropped out and the estimated cost of the project ran into several million pounds.

Producer John Lloyd held talks with ITV about bringing back the show, which lampooned politicians and celebrities from Margaret Thatcher to Madonna during its 12-year run from 1984 to 1996.

But Mr Lloyd has been unable to persuade his fellow co-creator and puppet maker, Roger Law, to take part.

"ITV were very keen and there couldn't be a better time to bring it back but Roger just doesn't want to go there anymore," said Mr Lloyd. "He lives on Bondi Beach in Australia and is having a great life painting kangaroos and duck-billed platypuses.

"You wonder whether it could be done without Roger but it just wouldn't be the same. He is more than just a name on a piece of paper - he is a very inspirational guy and central to the whole thing."

Full article here (Free registration required).
  • Options
    JJ2005JJ2005 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    A lot of people believe that Spitting Image made and broke political careers. The prime example being David Steele, the Liberal leader who became joint leader with David Owen when the Liberals merged with the SDP to become the Liberal Democrats. Steele was portrayed as a little puppet in Owen's pocket and it really destroyed his credibility and reputation. That was possibly a step too far for SI which should have been lampooning politicians and politics and not influencing them or it.

Other casualties were Douglas Hurd with his Dalek voice, Roy Hattersley whose puppet spat as he spoke and Kenneth Baker who was portrayed as a slug. I think Thatcher’s portrayal as a masculine cigar smoking fascist probably actually enhanced her career as she was portrayed as a strong leader surrounded by weak willed idiots.

I remember a classic sketch with Thatcher and her Cabinet dining in a restaurant. Thatcher orders a steak and the waiter asks “What about the vegetables?” She replies “They’ll have the same as me”. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a classic.

I liked the specials though.

"The presidents brain is missing" etc :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Quincy wrote:
    I think (as with many satirical shows) the material was becoming tired. The conservatives were in power and nothing that interesting was happening. But now with the Iraq situation and George W Bush they could be as good as their 80s heyday. I really enjoyed the Ronald Regan sketches. They should bring it back. And I actually heard a rumor a couple of years ago that it was to return in 2005. So far nothing more, so I guess it was just wishful thinking.

The idea has been scrapped.

It would have cost too much to make all the new puppets.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    That was a classic.

I liked the specials though.

"The presidents brain is missing" etc :D
    Some things never change!
  • Options
    VinnieMoleVinnieMole Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I reckon Spitting Image faltered, like a lot of other 80s satire, when it no longer had Mrs T to rail against. Ok, they had the John Major 'peas' gag but those years were just too grey.

I used to work on holiday camps in the 80s and, despite its original intent, I will never forgive them for that bloody "Chicken Song" which became part of that great canon of work which includes "Agadoo" and "The Birdy Song". Never liked the prog as much after that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    JJ2005 wrote:
    A lot of people believe that Spitting Image made and broke political careers. The prime example being David Steele, the Liberal leader who became joint leader with David Owen when the Liberals merged with the SDP to become the Liberal Democrats. Steele was portrayed as a little puppet in Owen's pocket and it really destroyed his credibility and reputation. That was possibly a step too far for SI which should have been lampooning politicians and politics and not influencing them or it.

:D

To be fair, if the guy wasn't big enough (no pun intended) in terms of personality or ability to get past this sort of thing then he shouldn't have been in politics anyway. Satire is hardly a new idea and although I was never an avid or indeed regular reader I remember seeing a few copies of Private Eye around the mid-late 80's and thought that some of what they were doing was far more cutting than SI. I'll be damned if I can remember exactly which articles made me feel that way but it was a long time ago.

As I recall, my Dad was convinced that Tony Blair's puppet ("leader, leader, I'm going to be the Leader!"), which came to prominance after John Smith's death, would have wrecked his career. If only.
  • Options
    OD on TVOD on TV Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    The explanation that Comedy Connections gave was that the BBC had just launched Have I Got News For You which consisted of 5 people sitting around a desk and was just as satirical and got far higher ratings for a tiny fraction of the money. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    digispecdigispec Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Spitting Image too. I was surprised when it was axed.
    I know the Russians copied the program. It's still running there isn't it?