Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

Stations that have disappeard from M.W.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30-11-2005, 10:50
North_Sea FM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 510

I can only think of a few BBC local stations that have switched off thier MW transmitters over the years: -

Radio Northampton 1107Khz
Radio Nottingham 1521Khz
Radio Oxford 1485Khz (now classic gold in Hampshire)
Radio Hereford & Worcester 819Khz
Radio Shropshire 756Khz (now Radio Maldwyn)
Radio Gloucestershire 603Khz (was Cheltenham Radio)

Can anyone name anymore, or suggest any other stations they think should close down using Medium Wave?
North_Sea FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-11-2005, 10:54
Inkblot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: West London
Posts: 20,859
Originally Posted by North_Sea FM
I can only think of a few BBC local stations that have switched off thier MW transmitters over the years: -

Radio Northampton 1107Khz
Radio Nottingham 1521Khz
Radio Oxford 1485Khz (now classic gold in Hampshire)
Radio Hereford & Worcester 819Khz
Radio Shropshire 756Khz (now Radio Maldwyn)
Radio Gloucestershire 603Khz (was Cheltenham Radio)

Can anyone name anymore, or suggest any other stations they think should close down using Medium Wave?
BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester still has two MW frequencies I believe.

BBC Radio London lost its MW transmitter ages ago - its frequency is now used by Sunrise Radio.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 11:00
North_Sea FM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Inkblot
BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester still has two MW frequencies I believe.
You're right, they still use 738, but closed the Hereford relay on 819 some time ago. I think BBC Hereford & Worcester took over Radio Shropshire's Ludlow relay on 1584?
North_Sea FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 11:03
youtalkcrap
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 49
You 'll be able to add the whole of the Capital Gold networks tx's to this list soon. Aren't they due to go Digital?
youtalkcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 12:07
broonale
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 54.98N 1.6W
Posts: 4,910
BBC Radio Cleveland 1548khz FM Only and has been for a while.
broonale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 12:11
MikeBr
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Herts
Posts: 5,268
Originally Posted by youtalkcrap
You 'll be able to add the whole of the Capital Gold networks tx's to this list soon. Aren't they due to go Digital?
Their strategy document, as opposed to the newspaper stories before it was released, makes no mention of them closing AM frequencies, merely encouraging listeners to use digital for their new Capital Gold/Life station. In any case if they did go off AM Ofcom would just readvertise the licence.
MikeBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 12:13
Arthur Grainger
 
Posts: n/a
Commercial stations include KCBC in Kettering.

Mellow 1557 in tendering, now Dream 100 on FM.

Cheltenham Radio aka Boss 603 in Cheltenham, now CAT FM.

Radio 1170 in High Wycombe, now Swan FM.


So there's still a bit of scope for development on medium wave in these areas, probably for access radio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 12:51
North_Sea FM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Arthur Grainger
Commercial stations include

KCBC in Kettering.
Mellow 1557 in tendering, now Dream 100 on FM.
Cheltenham Radio aka Boss 603 in Cheltenham, now CAT FM.
Radio 1170 in High Wycombe, now Swan FM.
KCBC is now Connect FM on 107.4 & 97.2

CAT FM, has been a Star station for a while now.

1170, which became 107 Swan FM, are now Mix 107.
North_Sea FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 18:27
g jones
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bangor North Wales
Posts: 520
BBC GMR 1458 now capital gold Manchester although started out as another commercial broadcaster.

RTE 2 612 & 1278
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 19:23
barnacle
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Clacton on sea
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by North_Sea FM
I can only think of a few BBC local stations that have switched off thier MW transmitters over the years: -

Radio Northampton 1107Khz
Radio Nottingham 1521Khz
Radio Oxford 1485Khz (now classic gold in Hampshire)
Radio Hereford & Worcester 819Khz
Radio Shropshire 756Khz (now Radio Maldwyn)
Radio Gloucestershire 603Khz (was Cheltenham Radio)

Can anyone name anymore, or suggest any other stations they think should close down using Medium Wave?

Radio Kent on 1035 khz
Radio Leiceter on 837 khz (now asian network)
BBC WM on 1458/828 khz (as above)
Radio Manchester 1458 (now Capital Gold)

As to stations with too many AM channels, I think BBC Essex could close some of their AM TX'S, 1530 khz is adequately served by 95.3 FM, but I feel Manningtree on 729khz would need to be converted to FM as reception in parts of Manningtree and Harwich is poor and not helped by having BBC Radio Suffolk on the Same mast 0.4 mhz away from the main BBC Essex FM frequency.
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 19:37
MikeBr
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Herts
Posts: 5,268
Originally Posted by barnacle
As to stations with too many AM channels, I think BBC Essex could close some of their AM TX'S, 1530 khz is adequately served by 95.3 FM, but I feel Manningtree on 729khz would need to be converted to FM as reception in parts of Manningtree and Harwich is poor and not helped by having BBC Radio Suffolk on the Same mast 0.4 mhz away from the main BBC Essex FM frequency.
Scroll down this page and you will see that 1530 was one of the AM channels Ofcom were looking at when they started their Radio Review
http://medianetwork.blogspot.com/200...k_archive.html

They subsequently decided just to licence AM for community radio.
MikeBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 20:18
PDMB
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 787
In Northern Ireland: -

Townland Radio (828 kHz) & Hertbeat (1521kHz) closed several years ago.

On top of the Capital Gold relays I can see the Classic Gold relays in areas where there are very poor listening figures closing in the not too distance future. I am surprised that 1521 asn't been turned off already. I suspect it is still not worth the cost...even now, when all it is doing is relaying the London DAB service, and carrying a few local ads.

Community radio is probably the way forward for AM.
PDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 21:33
kiwi
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,127
I thought that a long time ago the BBC were to lose most of their MW frequencies as long as their FM ouput is adequate to cover the intended broadcast area.Except for a few listed in this thread I don't think this has happened to a large amount.For example,my local BBC station was meant to have its' MW frequency handed over to a local service and invitations were offered to get the frequency and rumors had it that Radio SAM(Sam standing for Surrey A M)had had been awarded the licence but the BBC still have the channel and the signal is diabolical and is drowned out by Manx Radio....funny that!
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 22:19
|||Jerusalem|||
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by PDMB

On top of the Capital Gold relays I can see the Classic Gold relays in areas where there are very poor listening figures closing in the not too distance future. I am surprised that 1521 asn't been turned off already. I suspect it is still not worth the cost...even now, when all it is doing is relaying the London DAB service, and carrying a few local ads.
latest rajar: reach = 1.0%, share 0.8%. the share was 0.3% a few months ago so it seems the only way was up!
|||Jerusalem||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 22:56
redcar1
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Redcar, N. Yorks
Posts: 1,766
The obvious ones, Radio 2 and Radio 3 don't seem to have been mentioned yet!

I still don't really know why Radio Cleveland lost its 1548kHz AM frequency as nothing has taken it over, which is what usually happens when a BBC station relinquishes an MF transmitter. Radio Newcastle still has 1458kHz and Radio York 666kHz.

As for excessive MW transmitters, I can't understand why Fresh Radio (Yorkshire Dales) has a transmitter (1413kHz) for Richmond when the signal from the main transmitter at Hawes (936kHz) always seems perfectly good there.
redcar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 00:22
Toxteth O'Grady
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,339
Originally Posted by barnacle
Radio Kent on 1035 khz
Which went to Country 1035, probably one of the least successful Independent Radio stations ever!
Toxteth O'Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:33
Mark C
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 4,980
Originally Posted by North_Sea FM
KCBC is now Connect FM on 107.4 & 97.2

CAT FM, has been a Star station for a while now.

1170, which became 107 Swan FM, are now Mix 107.
Isle of Wight Radio ditched 1242kHz in 1998 and moved to 107/102 FM
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24
Arthur Grainger
 
Posts: n/a
Virgin Radio dropped 1224 relays and moved to 1260.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 13:23
barnacle
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Clacton on sea
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by Arthur Grainger
Virgin Radio dropped 1224 relays and moved to 1260.
Our Virgin transmitter moved from 1224 to 1233 khz.

I remember listening to the tests on 1215 but as soon as both frequencies were o0n it was difficult to listen as both signals were interfering with each other causing a lisping sound.

I noticed a similar effect when listening to Liberty Radio on 963/972 am in the overlap area of their 2 transmitters.

would have been better if they had just moved the 963 khz tx to a clear channel.
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 14:32
Martin Phillp
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: London
Posts: 20,277
Originally Posted by Arthur Grainger

Radio 1170 in High Wycombe, now Swan FM.
Ahem, Mix 107!
Martin Phillp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 14:50
Inkblot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: West London
Posts: 20,859
Originally Posted by barnacle
I noticed a similar effect when listening to Liberty Radio on 963/972 am in the overlap area of their 2 transmitters.

would have been better if they had just moved the 963 khz tx to a clear channel.
963/972 now used by Club Asia, and the other day the two adjacent frequencies were carrying different programming, causing even more of the "lisping" effect. Must have been a fault at the 963 kHz transmitter as that was playing continuous music while 972 was running normal programmes.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 20:51
kev
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: South Notts (Waltham TV TX)
Posts: 19,362
BBC Radio Nottingham on 1521 disappeared years ago. (Still has 1584 for Clipstone).

1458 Manchester was Lite AM for a while, before becomming Capital Gold.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 22:26
ALAN306
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: North Midlands
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by kev
BBC Radio Nottingham on 1521 disappeared years ago. (Still has 1584 for Clipstone).

1458 Manchester was Lite AM for a while, before becomming Capital Gold.
IIRC it was BIG 1458 Manchester too before Capital Gold
ALAN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 23:10
robmanchester
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by ALAN306
IIRC it was BIG 1458 Manchester too before Capital Gold
You're right - it started off as fortune, then became Lite AM before TWG relaunched the station as Big 1458 in 2000
robmanchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:44
ney
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Scotland, Dunfermline Area
Posts: 9,090
Radio Scotland and BBC Radio Wales still broadcast on FM/MW as for a small part of the day they split into two. Theres not many local radio station on MW in my area just Forth 2 1548, Tay AM 1161 that dont have a good signal at night. Tay AM is also on 1584 but I cant pick that up in my area. I also can pick up Clyde 2 1152 but thats not really for my area and late at night the signal dont seem as good. Theres really no stations on MW down past Radio Scotland on 810. From 535MW-810MW theres no radio here just the odd foreign station that you may pick up after dark. After Virgin Radio on 1215 theres really nothing on MW apart from the odd foreign station and maybe a very odd once in a while an RSL untill you get to Forth 2 on 1548.

Darren
ney is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20.