Options

Ofcom decision on Most Haunted

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
Here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/pcb46/

Essentially - complaints against Most Haunted and Living TV against the validity of MH NOT upheld, because the programme is entertainment and is NOT scientific.
Ofcom also recognised that, having established the programme over a number of series, it would now be clear to viewers that the intended purpose of these programmes was for entertainment.

Reading between the lines, Ofcom is saying: Yes, we know it's fake, Living knows it's fake, you know it's fake - live with it.

Also - same Ofcom bulletin - the Friendly TV decision is a rare gem.

Comments

• Options
    swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    Oooo do I smell a flame war coming on? ;)
  • Options
    MadSmithsMadSmiths Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?? Most Haunted is fake??? :eek: I thought it was a genuine scientific experiment.I thought that faked Possessions,coin/spoon throwing,table shifting,Ladder throwing were all part of 'scientific experimentation'? :rolleyes: Gosh,you cant trust anybodt nowadays,can you? ;)
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckorange wrote:
    Reading between the lines, Ofcom is saying: Yes, we know it's fake, Living knows it's fake, you know it's fake - live with it.

Yes thats exactly it lol, this seems to say it all really.
    On balance - taking into account the context of the programme itself and the presentation within the series - we consider that overall Most Haunted/Most Haunted Live should be taken to be a programme produced for entertainment purposes. This is despite what appears to be occasional assertions by the programme that what viewers are witnessing is real. As such this programme should be seen in the light of shows where techniques are used which mean the audience is not necessarily in full possession of the facts.

Edit: just to add i wouldn't post this on living forums, i just tried it didn't last long :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swirlygirl wrote:
    Oooo do I smell a flame war coming on? ;)

The ruling is vague enough to keep everybody happy. I've got a fire extinguisher ready, just in case, mind.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is still a second Ofcom ruling to come from the "Asylum" MHL it's a completely separate report to this one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4500322.stm

From BBC site:

"Ofcom ruled that the TV show contains "a high degree of showmanship that puts it beyond what we believe to be a generally accepted understanding of what comprises a legitimate investigation".

Priceless! :D