Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

yourpics@bbc.co.uk - causing people to attend incidents

Old 23-12-2005, 20:44
julianhensey
Forum Member

So a conclusion is now being drawn that the continual increase in news people saying "send us your pictures now" "give us your video clips" is actually causing people to attend incidents and get in the way of everyone trying to help. When the airplane crashed in Toronto people were taking pictures as they got out of a burning aircraft and turning around, and in Hemel Hempstead people were going towards the blaze to get the pictures....

the question now is: Is it time the news 24 people stopped asking for pictures as this causes people to visit sites and get in the way and possibly endanger their own and other people trying to escape live's?
julianhensey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-12-2005, 21:05
sosidge
Forum Member

If someone is STUPID enough to walk towards an oil fire to get a picture they DESERVE to have their life endangered.

It is called natural selection.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 21:10
Eclipse80
Forum Member

The thing is, when people endanger their lives (intentionally or not) there is usually someone risking their lives to save them
Eclipse80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 21:10
mossy2103
Forum Member

It's ALL news organisations asking for this - and we are all partly to blame, in our thirst for instant news coverage it's the quickets and most cost-effective way of getting important pictures first (without having to get a film/sound crew and reported on the scene).
mossy2103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 10:24
LostObsessive
Banned User

In answer to your question, No its not time they stopped.

If people are stupid to go through cordons (as they did at Hemel), then if they die, they die.

I went to Hemel, took some pretty cool pics, from behind the cordons. Whats wrong with that?
LostObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 10:29
blargoid
Forum Member

Very strong opinions! Let's face it though, no-one deserves to die. What's wrong with people wanting to take pictures of things? It's a digital age, no? As far as the comment about "getting in the way" goes I don't feel that's strictly true. I don't feel there is so much desperation to get a picture... it's only a news channel not anything earth shattering. News will travel, inevitably...
blargoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 10:36
RampantStag
Forum Member

Did you see how many mince pies Holly got in her mouth ! God its so big !
RampantStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 10:55
mossy2103
Forum Member

Originally Posted by RampantStag
Wrong thread methinks

Anyway back on topic - if people are stupid enough to risk their lives, then so be it. If they didn't do it for a phone picture, they'd probably do it for something else.
mossy2103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 11:21
DJ Dan
Forum Member

Good point raised here

It does seem the news coroperations are encouraging people to go to the incident but they are not forcing us to go. In the end if people are stupid enough to put their own lives at risks then it's their choice
I think it's more for the people who are already at the incidents to send pictures in
DJ Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 11:38
northern sky
Forum Member

Sorry mate, a plane crash or the likes isnt natural selection, it has nothing to do with nature and evolution.

But I'm now wanting to know what thread it did belong to???? the mind boggles.
northern sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 11:51
Colebox
Forum Member

Originally Posted by julianhensey
...When the airplane crashed in Toronto people were taking pictures as they got out of a burning aircraft and turning around...
There is one aspect there that bothered me about this; if people are THIS stoopid, they are potentially preventing others from getting out of buring planes etc endagering others' lives.

The trouble is, people seem to be very goullish; look at the tailbacks caused because people want to oggle car crashes on motorways etc.

I have also heard of situations where people, instead of helping the injured, are taking mobile phone photographs instead.
Colebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 12:04
ryanmorrison
Forum Member

It's called citizen journalism and it's only going to increase - to be honest in the digital age if people weren't taking pics to send to news channel they would only be taking them to post on Flickr, in blogs or on a message board.
ryanmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 13:16
thecharmingman
Forum Member

Its alright up to a point, if people want to take the pics let them. But it is bit sick sometimes, like after 7/7 when people first reaction was to get out their phone cam and film bodies, rather than try to help people.
thecharmingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 21:45
carl.waring
Forum Member

Originally Posted by northern sky
Sorry mate, a plane crash or the likes isnt natural selection, it has nothing to do with nature and evolution.
I think the OP was thinking that about the people who endager their own lives in taking the pictures, not those involved in the actual incident.

But I'm now wanting to know what thread it did belong to???? the mind boggles.
That makes two of us!
carl.waring is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 22:33
Alrightmate
Forum Member

Originally Posted by RampantStag
Whaaat?
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 23:01
Phil 2804
Forum Member

Originally Posted by sosidge
If someone is STUPID enough to walk towards an oil fire to get a picture they DESERVE to have their life endangered.

I couldn't agree more.
Phil 2804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 00:00
northern sky
Forum Member

I think the OP was thinking that about the people who endager their own lives in taking the pictures, not those involved in the actual incident.
Aye, I understand that, but it still isnt natural selection, be it people dying in plane crashes or risking their own lives to help others it still isnt 'natural selection'.

But hey, it's no big deal
northern sky is offline   Reply With Quote