Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

A Cheap DIY Freeview Aerial (anyone can make)

Old 06-01-2006, 09:32
NEWLINEtv
Forum Member

Hi

I've noticed that ALOT of people keep asking this so I thought I'd share the knowledge and that is if you want an aerial all you need is

(1) a Wire Coat Hanger (surely everyone must have at least one, maybe its hiding somewhere have a look about)

(2) a TV Extension Lead (everyone will have at least one proberly from an old vhs machine)

and its simple what you do next, Plug the wire into the Freeview box and the other end the Wire-Coat-Hanger slots into and once you move the coat-hanger about you will get a siginal and wala job done

before anyone asks if this is true or a load of bull try it out for yourself, it works, simple, nothing high-tech involved eh!
NEWLINEtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38
TheOneEye
Banned User

But what if you only have plastic coat hangers
TheOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:14
NEWLINEtv
Forum Member

you can pick one up from your local shop
NEWLINEtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:48
taylor1966
Forum Member

I have a coat hanger made out of a bent arial
taylor1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:52
AndyBurns
Forum Member

[quote=NEWLINEtv]and wala[/QUOTE

I think you meant "et voilą"
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:57
TheOneEye
Banned User

could you make a tv extension lead out of a metal coat hanger?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:03
Fishface

I've got a dat 75 in my wardrobe. I use it for hanging my shirts on.

'Doh!'
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07
TheOneEye
Banned User

Originally Posted by Fishface
I've got a dat 75 in my wardrobe. I use it for hanging my shirts on.

'Doh!'

Really how many shirts can you hang on it I am in need of more hanging space.
Old 06-01-2006, 13:59
John259
Forum Member

That'll do nicely if you're fairly close to the transmitter.

If you live further away, something a little more sophisticated may be needed. A dipole, a reflector and a few directors will give much better results if it's pointing in the right direction and is as high up as possible.

Get your UHF frequency band from http://www.wolfbane.com and then calculate the wavelength. 300 divided by the frequency in MHz gives you the wavelength in metres.

Each arm of the dipole should be just under half the wavelength. The reflector and directors are just rods of roughly the same length as the wavelengh. Arrange them in the same way as outside aerials. In most cases all the rods need to be vertical for main transmitters and horizontal for relays.

Mount the rods on something non metallic such as a bit of wood.

Connect the inner and outer of the coax to the two arms of the dipole. It doesn't matter which way round.

Be careful if you go clambering about in the loft. Obviously a homemade lashup won't usually be suitable for putting on the roof.

If you live too far away from the transmitter then a professional outside aerial is the only answer.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28radio%29

John
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 16:54
tin
Forum Member

[quote=AndyBurns]
Originally Posted by NEWLINEtv
and wala[/QUOTE

I think you meant "et voilą"
LOL!
tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 17:33
John259
Forum Member

A very important correction to my earlier post:

In most cases all the rods need to be horizontal for main transmitters and vertical for relays.

Apologies for the mistake,

John
Old 06-01-2006, 18:25
mrfreeview
Forum Member

The question I ask myself about all this is: Do I really want to live on the top of a big hill (Sutton Coldfield, Emerly Moor, Wenvoe, Rowridge, Black Hill, Mendip) or under the base of some metal structure (Crystal Palace)

I think I stick with my DAT45 using it for the purpose it was designed....and my shirts well there all over the floor as I can't seem to buy a coat hanger anyplace!

It would appear as if there is a bit of a national shortage! There almost as rare as Rocking-horse sh*t, what with EVERYONE making there own TV antennas! And whilst we talking about that subject perhaps this whole thread is just Bull-Sh*t!
mrfreeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 19:12
JimJacks
Banned User

I got mine from a Pound Shop , its a cracking digital aerial , black base , sliver hope and two extendable antenna. plug it in move it around to find sweet spot and bobs your uncle.

I dont live under the mast , i have hills around me , i look out at tower blocks and trees .

And its nicer to look at than a coat hanger .

Get rich quick scheme

Keep placing posts on here of how difficult getting a Freeview signal is but lucky for you punters it just happens that for a meer £150 pound ill come round with me ladder and fit a £30 pound aerial and Cable kit . just out of the goodness of my heart. And you will get freeview then.

Go on you know its a bargain ....

Last edited by JimJacks : 06-01-2006 at 19:13. Reason: dumb fingers
JimJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 19:40
asdigi
Forum Member

Hi

I've noticed that ALOT of people keep asking this so I thought I'd share the knowledge and that is if you want an aerial all you need is

(1) a Wire Coat Hanger (surely everyone must have at least one, maybe its hiding somewhere have a look about)

(2) a TV Extension Lead (everyone will have at least one proberly from an old vhs machine)

and its simple what you do next, Plug the wire into the Freeview box and the other end the Wire-Coat-Hanger slots into and once you move the coat-hanger about you will get a siginal and wala job done

before anyone asks if this is true or a load of bull try it out for yourself, it works, simple, nothing high-tech involved eh!
i did this when i last went on holiday it was a communial tv aerial into all the rooms and it also had a couple of analogue satellite channels on it too and a channel which was a local radio station with a slideshow of things to do in the area playing. but the reception was awful in the evening and as there was a vcr i took the cable off the vcr that went to the tv and put a coathanger on the end and got a near perfect reception but without the extra channels they were sending through
asdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:01
Rosco_25235
Forum Member

I tried it out just now and it worked almost as well as my indoor Thompson indoor aerial. If i had a stable surface to put it on, I could use it as a normal aerial but I don't. What I have to say is that it works as well as and indoor aerial and if you want to save a couple of pounds, just do this.
Rosco_25235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:27
SteveMcK
Forum Member

Hi

You do realise, of course, that you've just completely blown your chances of making a fortune by selling this information to idio^H^H^H^H people on eBay for 4.99.
SteveMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:32
blinky2005
Forum Member

Originally Posted by JimJacks
I got mine from a Pound Shop , its a cracking digital aerial , black base , sliver hope and two extendable antenna. plug it in move it around to find sweet spot and bobs your uncle.
Sounds like the same ones I use. The shop I got them from was Poundworld (Cramlington Branch). I use one with my Compro DVB-T200 card in one room and one with a Oggle 3D Box (latest ASDA one) in another. I've tried several other indoor aerials and none have come close.

Last edited by blinky2005 : 06-01-2006 at 20:50.
blinky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:32
3dom
Forum Member

Originally Posted by John259
A very important correction to my earlier post:

In most cases all the rods need to be horizontal for main transmitters and vertical for relays.

Apologies for the mistake,

John
This is not right some relay masts use horizontal signals there is one near where i live which is horizontal which is a relay mast from winter hill.
3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 22:36
JimJacks
Banned User

Originally Posted by SteveMcK
You do realise, of course, that you've just completely blown your chances of making a fortune by selling this information to idio^H^H^H^H people on eBay for 4.99.
Oh Bugger said Poo

I Dont believe it!

I will never get rich now , and i was going to ask £5.99 plus give them my extra special Pdf ebook on how to make a recycleable coat hanger out of Tree for free ......

Just carnt get the staff...
JimJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17
John259
Forum Member

Originally Posted by 3dom
This is not right some relay masts use horizontal signals there is one near where i live which is horizontal which is a relay mast from winter hill.
Yes, fair enough, that's why I said "in most cases..." - John
Old 07-01-2006, 11:16
AdamS
Forum Member

Hmmmm.... The coat hanger aerial thing has been around for years and is nothing new... However the dat75 coat hanger thing has given me an idea...

If I was to use my freeview box as a hanger and as mentioned previously a coat hanger makes an excellent aerial ...... well you do the maths! LOL

AdamS.
AdamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:34
DerekPVR
Forum Member

Originally Posted by AdamS
Hmmmm.... The coat hanger aerial thing has been around for years and is nothing new... However the dat75 coat hanger thing has given me an idea...

If I was to use my freeview box as a hanger and as mentioned previously a coat hanger makes an excellent aerial ...... well you do the maths! LOL

AdamS.
Or use it for tripple decker, twin row tie rack.
DAT75 for double wardrobes and the DAT45 for single wardrobes.
DerekPVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:01
rfw
Forum Member

You could try a piece of wet string.
rfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:11
John259
Forum Member

Originally Posted by rfw
You could try a piece of wet string.
Not in a thunderstorm, Mr Franklin
Old 07-01-2006, 13:05
Rosco_25235
Forum Member

Why not use a Coke can or something and connect it up to the coat hanger, provided that the can is made of steel as it is a better conuctor than aluminium.
Rosco_25235 is offline   Reply With Quote