Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

Reginald Molehusband: Missing in Action


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15-02-2006, 09:15
Dek Hogan
Digital Spy Reporter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Solihull
Posts: 688

Someone from the COI has just been on BBC Breakfast appealing for a copy of the great Public Information Film featuring the legendary Reginald Molehusband.

Reggie was famous for struggling to park his old Austin 1100.

Apparently neither the COI nor National Film Archive still have a copy.

How can we possibly lose a national treasure such as this?

This explains his absence from both volumes of Charley Says where he was a glaring omission.

We must find Reggie. Scour your (really)old VHS recordings! Someone must have a copy!
Dek Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-02-2006, 09:57
oilcat
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Aberdeen / Claw Division
Posts: 17,223
Reginald Molehusband!! man oh man that takes me back!!

I remember this advert, in fact it was probably the first ad that stuck in my mind because of the guys name...I remember as kids whenever we saw someone struggling to park a car they were taunted with the great mans name
oilcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 10:24
1701-E
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Belfast (ex-ntl) VM
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by Dek Hogan

We must find Reggie. Scour your (really)old VHS recordings! Someone must have a copy!
Or even your V2000 or Betamax collections!!
1701-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 10:25
Oldbod
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in Hitchin
Posts: 12,989
Originally Posted by oilcat
Reginald Molehusband!! man oh man that takes me back!!

I remember this advert, in fact it was probably the first ad that stuck in my mind because of the guys name...I remember as kids whenever we saw someone struggling to park a car they were taunted with the great mans name
I remember it well, having been called that a few times myself
It was one that stuck in everybodies memory because, as you say, of the guy's name
Oldbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 10:30
whitfield
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 327
Amazing. Someone will definitely have it - old Reginald was the most repeated public info film ever. How could they lose it?!
whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 11:04
ludovica
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 25,134
I'm over 40 but I have no recollection of this one.. What dates did they say it was made?
ludovica is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 11:37
Agent Krycek
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stalking David and Neal
Posts: 32,816
I have no recollection of it either (extremely late 30's) but am possessed by a sudden desire to change my surname to Molehusband
Agent Krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 12:17
nibb
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Wales
Posts: 354
What about Augustus Windsock, the OAP cyclist!
nibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 12:43
Dek Hogan
Digital Spy Reporter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Solihull
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by nibb
What about Augustus Windsock, the OAP cyclist!

I think that was voiced by Kenny Everett who was also the voice of Charley the Cat.

Anyone know who Reginald was played by?
Dek Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 12:52
Dek Hogan
Digital Spy Reporter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Solihull
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by ludovica
I'm over 40 but I have no recollection of this one.. What dates did they say it was made?
Not sure of the date but it had a late sixties/early seventies feel to it. I think it was in colour but I'm not entirely sure why I think that because we had a black & white set at the time.

It was shown a fair bit during World at Sport on ITV, we tended to get Rolf Harris teaching kids to swim during the Saturday morning offerings of Joe 90 and the cartoons.
Dek Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 13:03
nibb
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Wales
Posts: 354
I remember it, I used it constantly to take the piss out of my mother when she was learning to drive!!
nibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 15:04
Blake Connolly
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North London
Posts: 9,311
The BBC News site is doing a brilliant season on PIFs all this month.

Here's the Molehusband article

...and here's the scariest thing ever commited to film.
Blake Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:09
Dek Hogan
Digital Spy Reporter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Solihull
Posts: 688
If you do track down Mr. Molehusband please contact the Central Office of Information: films@coi.gsi.gov.uk
Dek Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:17
slappers r us
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: katmandoodieland
Posts: 49,393
how have they lost Reginald Molehusband

every time i park my hubby calls me Reggie
slappers r us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:18
slappers r us
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: katmandoodieland
Posts: 49,393
Originally Posted by Blake Connolly
The BBC News site is doing a brilliant season on PIFs all this month.

Here's the Molehusband article

...and here's the scariest thing ever commited to film.
Pity they dont make them like that any more
slappers r us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:22
coopermanyorks
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In Gods Own County
Posts: 20,021
Hi

Sound only version can be heard here

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignmen...es/adverts.htm

and scroll down to Reginald Molehusband

it may jog someones memories , I am 47 and can remember it well
coopermanyorks is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 21:56
Louise P
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3

Well well, what a surprise I got to catch the BBC1 Breakfast show on Wednesday morning (15/2/06) to see an appeal for a public information film with a character named Reginald Molehusband. Only a few months ago I searched the internet for information on this to try and get a copy of the film, after much discussion about it with my family ..maybe the fact I was searching for Molesworthy or Molehouse didnt help!

The star of this classic advert is a relative of mine ..so I can exclusively reveal that the actor playing Reggie is Ian Gardiner.He's now retired from acting, but still in fine fettle and I trust his parking skills are a lot better than his character. Next time he visits I will ask him to demonstrate, ha ha. It was way before my time so I haven't actually had the pleasure of seeing the film, and unfortunatley I don't think he has a copy of it either, so I can't wait to see if it turns up. I am mailing all the information from the BBC website to my uncle ..I'm sure he'll be chuffed to bits that there's a nationwide hunt for him!

I wonder if the Central Office of Information or the National Archives would be interested in talking to the actor himself if not actually getting a copy of the film?
Louise P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:25
lord_gaty
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 225
Whenever I execute a "right first time" parallel parking manoeuvre, my wife will say "Well done Reginald!" Clearly he left a big impression on those of us of a certain age.
lord_gaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04
Louise P
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3

Watch BBC1 Breakfast on Friday 3rd March 2006 at approx 08:20 for an article on this Public Information Film

...and a remake with the original actor rejunivating his character, Reginald Molehusband

There was also an interview with Ian Gardiner on BBC radio 4 on Wednesday 1st March at 08:25 talking about his role ...and the fact he was only paid a one off fee of ten quid ..what, no royalties?! Still no sign of the original film either
Louise P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 16:57
Zeus
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Leeds
Posts: 10,110
Originally Posted by Louise P
maybe the fact I was searching for Molesworthy or Molehouse didnt help!

?
Gadzooks! I thought he was called Reginald Molesworthy as well! Was there a separate advert starring Reginald Molesworthy?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 17:38
Louise P
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3

The TV interview with my uncle aka Reggie Molehusband was rescheduled due to other news stories and will now be on tomorrow morning, fingers crossed ie Saturday 4th March 2006 on BBC1 Breakfast between 8.30 and 9 am. This will include his remake of the film, also available on the BBC website's magazine section at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4770268.stm

Now you can relive those old memories!

Louise )
Louise P is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:31.