Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

Can a stolen TomTom be traced?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2006, 12:36
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,608

To my extreme annoyance, I went outside this morning to discover that the front passenger window of my car had been smashed and my TomTom 300 satellite navigation system stolen.

Having turned the air extremely blue, berrated myself for leaving it in my car and phoning the police and my insurance, it's left me thinking that I'm unlikely ever to see it again. The police have nothing to go on because no-one saw or heard anything.

I doubt this very much indeed, but I wondered if a SatNav system could be traced when it's in use? I'll presumably have some sort of serial number if I dig out all the documentation that came with it, so would this be able to be traced by the company when it's next used?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. And before anyone says it, I know how stupid I was to leave it in my car! Lesson learned. Hope none of you guys make the same mistake.
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:43
panicj
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
To my extreme annoyance, I went outside this morning to discover that the front passenger window of my car had been smashed and my TomTom 300 satellite navigation system stolen.

Having turned the air extremely blue, berrated myself for leaving it in my car and phoning the police and my insurance, it's left me thinking that I'm unlikely ever to see it again. The police have nothing to go on because no-one saw or heard anything.

I doubt this very much indeed, but I wondered if a SatNav system could be traced when it's in use? I'll presumably have some sort of serial number if I dig out all the documentation that came with it, so would this be able to be traced by the company when it's next used?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. And before anyone says it, I know how stupid I was to leave it in my car! Lesson learned. Hope none of you guys make the same mistake.
Hi - 2 weeks ago my partners tom tom go 300 was stolen. He was using it for work purposes and he left his vehicle locked for 5 mins and when he came back the window was smashed and the Tom Tom gone! He usually takes it out with him and never leaves it in the car but the one time he did...look what happend. Also you can only get the insurance back on it if it was locked away out of site in the car and if it was on show you wont get a penny

He found an article saying that Tom Tom might be able to track the tom tom if u report it stolen but apparently the way the navigation is set up - it cant track individual tom toms - well thats what he was told anyway and he had to fork out and buy another one instead.

If you find anything else however please send me a pm so i can tell my partner. Theres such a big increase in thefts of these navigation systems its frightening. The thing is they are so expensive and its not the case that we could just afford to go and buy another one but needs must and as he uses it for his job hes had to fork out a second time leaving us broke.

He went on to Ebay - the prices are slighly cheaper for brand new.
panicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:12
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,608
I've just phoned TomTom, explained the situation and asked her if there was any way of tracing it.

Her exact reply was, "No. There's no way of tracing it."

And that was all!

I love helpful and symapthetic people!
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:14
panicj
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 166
Oh ffs thats all you need !! Oh well...what will you do now? Get a new one?
panicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:40
Knarf44
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Back in Brazil
Posts: 3,736
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I've just phoned TomTom, explained the situation and asked her if there was any way of tracing it.

Her exact reply was, "No. There's no way of tracing it."

And that was all!

I love helpful and symapthetic people!

Or maybe it's a deliberate policy not to say they can be traced so you have to go out and buy a replacement - more profit for Tom Tom.

Another thought - how come they don't have the equivalent to a mobile phone IMIE number so they can be electronically blocked?
Knarf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:47
Barry Scott
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Knarf44
Or maybe it's a deliberate policy not to say they can be traced so you have to go out and buy a replacement - more profit for Tom Tom.

Another thought - how come they don't have the equivalent to a mobile phone IMIE number so they can be electronically blocked?
They probably do and I think you might be right about the company's greed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:52
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by panicj
Oh ffs thats all you need !! Oh well...what will you do now? Get a new one?
Yes I'm going out in a bit and will probably get another one. They've come down in price since I got mine so I may get a slightly better one. The most annoying thing is that it was a birthday present from my fiancee. She knew how much I wanted one and it was more than she could comfortably afford - yet she still got me it. I'd be less annoyed if it was something I bought for myself.

Originally Posted by Knarf44
Another thought - how come they don't have the equivalent to a mobile phone IMIE number so they can be electronically blocked?
This is a fantastic point. I don't have an answer to it!
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 14:05
StuB
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hadfield
Posts: 509
I would expect that the reason they can't be tracked is because they don't transmit anything?

From my understanding, the unit contains the hardware to receive the positioning data from the GPS satellites and the software to display/interpret this data on the maps (and do directions).

If this is right, there is no way to trace and as the company itself doesn't have a broadcast network it can't disable a unit (as it simply uses the military GPS system).

If TomTom had their own network (transmitters or satellites) I would expect that the service would cost a lot more, probably with a subscription!

Cheers
Stu.
StuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 14:23
Knarf44
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Back in Brazil
Posts: 3,736
Originally Posted by StuB
I would expect that the reason they can't be tracked is because they don't transmit anything?

From my understanding, the unit contains the hardware to receive the positioning data from the GPS satellites and the software to display/interpret this data on the maps (and do directions).

If this is right, there is no way to trace and as the company itself doesn't have a broadcast network it can't disable a unit (as it simply uses the military GPS system).

If TomTom had their own network (transmitters or satellites) I would expect that the service would cost a lot more, probably with a subscription!

Cheers
Stu.

Ok, so why can't the SatNav makers put a small chip/receiver in the receiving unit and do a deal with eg T-Mobile or Vodfone that for a one-off fee, let's say 5, the stolen SatNav can be disabled via the mobile phone network.

Would that work?
Knarf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 14:29
<Finch>
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,587
Originally Posted by Knarf44
Ok, so why can't the SatNav makers put a small chip/receiver in the receiving unit and do a deal with eg T-Mobile or Vodfone that for a one-off fee, let's say 5, the stolen SatNav can be disabled via the mobile phone network.

Would that work?
Nope - because even with a chip, it wouldn't receive the phone network signals, it would a require a complete rehaul.

Nothing can be done, its a one-way system with no device interaction so I don't think it could work.
<Finch> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:03
Knarf44
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Back in Brazil
Posts: 3,736
Originally Posted by <Finch>
Nope - because even with a chip, it wouldn't receive the phone network signals, it would a require a complete rehaul.

Nothing can be done, its a one-way system with no device interaction so I don't think it could work.

But it's not impossible, right?

Ok, it would increase the cost of the unit's initially but like all electronic technology the unit manufacturing cost would eventually fall followed by the retail price.

I know from my sister (who's a Police Officer) that the stealing of car SatNav systems is getting almost as bad as it used to be with car radio/CD players.
Knarf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:11
jodpent
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 526
Well, nothing's impossible. It could be done, although there are significant design challenges and extra costs, battery life etc.

You are right when you say that the costs come down, but until that point consumers will be faced with a chocie of a TomTom or thief-proof TomTom which is exactly the same as the original, but larger and more expensive. I suspect that most people would choose the cheaper one and think 'I'll just be more careful'

Having said all that I think one of the options the government is thinking long term about road tolls is to link up GPS to mobile phones in cars so maybe its not such a mad idea !
jodpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:15
Stator
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by Knarf44
But it's not impossible, right?

Ok, it would increase the cost of the unit's initially but like all electronic technology the unit manufacturing cost would eventually fall followed by the retail price.

I know from my sister (who's a Police Officer) that the stealing of car SatNav systems is getting almost as bad as it used to be with car radio/CD players.
It's still bad for stereos. My car was broken into last year just before christmas when it was left on a main road overnight. They didn't get the stereo because they were ejits, but they did smash my window and bend the door so it needed replacing
Stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:19
Knarf44
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Back in Brazil
Posts: 3,736
So, any electronics/SatNav technicians out there - time to get those patents registered at the Patents Office before it's too late.

Knarf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 17:57
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,608
Just got home from buying a new TomTom from Dixons.

Decided to get the 700, since this is now the same price as the 300 was when my fiancee purchased it in October.

The very helpful guy at Dixons informed me that he has heard countless stories similar to mine of people who left the stand on display and had their car broken into.

He also informed me of the following worrying statistic: Over the Christmas period, TomTom made around 250 million in sales. 56 million of these have been reported stolen.

Again, don't leave your stand on view in your car people.
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 18:21
fat controller
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Slightly round the bend
Posts: 12,685
Makes me very glad I stick to the good old road map. It is really scary how people will smash into someones car and steal their property - I wonder how the low life feels when using their haul? Or are they simply being sold on for a fast profit?

PS - please don't take my opening line in the wrong way, I have no desire to trivialise what must be very distressful for you.
fat controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 19:52
highkite
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 241
Hi it might not be much help but the nice guys at pocketgpsworld have a database running in association with police forces to register stolen sat nav.
It's a thread on their forum where you can post the deatails of your device. Youl probally have to register on the site to post though!

Pocket GPS National Register

Simon
highkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 20:07
duckapluck
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,530
I am wondering if anyone knows where i can get tomtom 300 repaired? The screen is broken and i was quoted 175 euros by the manufacturers to have it repaired, but obviously then postage will be extra so im hoping someone has and idea.

Thanks
duckapluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 00:08
ashlyl
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: london
Posts: 174
When my son lost his mobile a few weeks back, the police told me to register with www.immobilise.com. You can register mobs, satnavs, laptops etc. If lost or stolen you report it on there. Then if police find item, they can put details in and reunite with owner.
ashlyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 16:11
Navplate
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
We have just finished beta testing our new Navplate website and would welcome your constructive comments and suggestions please.

The site allows you to create a unique Navplate Splash Screen for your portable TomTom Satellite Navigation System and take a step towards reducing crime.

http://www.navplate.com

Thanks
Simon
Navplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 16:15
Finglonga
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Stafford.
Posts: 4,504
Heard rumours that insurance companies are going to stop paying out for portable SatNavs getting stolen if the owner left it in the car on veiw. Just like leaving a mobile phone on the dash.
Finglonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 16:26
*Em*
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Near Bradford :D
Posts: 6,247
Mine Satnav seems impossible to steal.. all I have is a small button at the side of my steering wheel which connects me to an operator - they then programme where i'm going and hey-ho i'm off on a nice drive

It is a Smartnav, i'm pretty sure it can't be stolen maybe for those of you who have had thefts you should try having this fitted?? Only downside is there isn't a screen but other than that I think its great
*Em* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 16:52
occasional post
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here again!
Posts: 3,485
the answer is the same is it has been for radios. Most new cars have totally integrated radios built into the dash - these can't be stolen (or not without considerable effort probably ruining the radio). Of course you might choose a really expensive after marketradio which you could also plug in but most people wouldn;t bother.

Now sat nav is hetting cheaper it will more and more be in new cars - to a point where a new car without sat nav will be a rarity (like buying a car nowadays with a cassette). Over a few years after market sat navs will be rare.
occasional post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 17:00
silvernet
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK/ Spain
Posts: 1,666
Apparently, the thieves also look for sucker marks on the widscreens to locate a unit.

Personally I use an AA Road Map, nobody has ever nicked it, and I leave it on full view.
silvernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 17:02
occasional post
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here again!
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by silvernet
Apparently, the thieves also look for sucker marks on the widscreens to locate a unit.

Personally I use an AA Road Map, nobody has ever nicked it, and I leave it on full view.
Means nothing though. I carry my Tom tom with me at all times - so they can break into my car and all they'll find to steal is a packet of mints!
occasional post is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02.