Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

The Dole and training courses, why I cant get on them?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2006, 14:40
scruffpot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113

I am on the dole, I have qualifications (English degree and maths GCSE).
I went to a jobs fair today, because there were a few agencies and I was in need of some advice cv check etc.

I am Inhouse trained at driving fork lifts (I dont have the proper qualifications but can be authorised to drive).
I saw a company which works with learn direct and a few other companies offer training to get the full fork lift license, being Im on the dole I though that would be usefull get the full qualification then I can go get a job asap (ok not fantastic job but its money).

However I found out you have to do a literacy and numeracy test before going on the course. I was asked if I have qualifications I said 'Yes I do' (see above)
I was told being I have qualifications I would have to pay to go on the course if I didn't it would be free!!! even though Im on the dole wanting to train to get off the dole and work.

So therefore if you have botherd to go and get an education but end up on the dole to go back into training to get qualifications to get a job you have to pay (mind your on the dole with very little money). Where as you havent got qualifiactions its all free.

It doesnt make much sense to me, ok I know there are people who want jobs no qualifactions etc, and its good for them but if your like me with qualications you have to shell out loads of money to get a job. Crap init.
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-05-2006, 15:06
Weeksy
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,704
Hold on, you have a degree in English and you can't get a job?

Something about your post doesn't add up... don't you have A-Levels? Kinda essential for a degree I thought. You can't just go from GCSE to uni....
Weeksy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:27
scruffpot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
I have a degree and A levels.
I have applied shed loads of jobs even retail but have been told Im over qualified even by the agencies.
I live in the south west where down here its mainly customer service outbound telesales. done that once never again.

thats why im thinking about retraining, or even getting a qualification so i can go and get a job by next week and get off the dole. even if its just fork lifting in a warehouse.

but my point is to go on these courses if you have got qualifiactions you have to pay? where is if you dont have any its free.
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:36
Eye2006
 
Posts: n/a

I have recently been put on a thirteen week course!Stops here.There is NO course atall.I live in Lewisham and have to travel to Colliers Wood everyday just to do a bit of jobsearch for thirteen weeks.On interview I asked them what the courses were like.And they turn around and state,"We don't have courses anymore due to Government not giving us enough funding anymore''.
I suddenly thought,why I bothered to come .


First you need to get on to Newdeal,then you need to get onto a gateway to work course.On the Gateway to work course you are often confronted by tutors who have attitudes against unemployed people.One time I was told that I loved being unemployed.By the end of the day I threw a cup at the wall but really wish I had thrown the tutor out the window.

It is mainly jobsearching.No courses and only a few volunteers coming in to tell you that they will listen to what ails you.NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.

But oh!The jobcentre have become different.They are so arrogant that you have to make an appointment to see anybody.They even go as far to put bodyguards outside the entrance.No appointment then you can only use the telphone to Belfast and then get put through to someone less than half a mile away.Upstairs.

The Rushey green Jobcentre has become a border control.There is a line which meets the carpet and the wood floor.Cannot pass the line without showing evidence of an appointment.One time,somebody got thrown out and they nearly broke that persons neck.The advisors always wanted JSA claimers to go to the jobcentre.Now it looks like they want you to call Jobcentre Direct on the telephone as they dont want vizavi with any of its clients.As if they are swept off their feet.The other day I saw two advisors playing card game.Whatever it was,there accompanied a barrel of laughter and all the other advisors were placing bets of who would win.THe winner would get fifty pounds to spend where they liked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:39
nanamoan
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,648
with so many people now having degrees I think the job market is getting tougher, although I wouldnt have thought it that hard that there was nothing!! When did you finish uni and what have you been doing since? I cant believe that there are no jobs when you have a degree? Are you sure that you want to work? or just want to spend your time getting qualifications??

Unfortunately, it seems that the more qualified you are the most it costs to get better qualified. I am currently employed full time but after 18 years in an office have decided for a career change, I am having to pay for my degree myself whilst I carry on working and am intending to use the degree to go on and do teaching for which there is now being charged tutition fees which I find quite extortionate as its an extra year full time study, where I have to give up my job and be a student, get a bursary, student loan, and end up owing more money to be able to teach the future generations!
nanamoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:42
topcat2
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,949
Originally Posted by nanamoan
with so many people now having degrees I think the job market is getting tougher, although I wouldnt have thought it that hard that there was nothing!! When did you finish uni and what have you been doing since? I cant believe that there are no jobs when you have a degree? Are you sure that you want to work? or just want to spend your time getting qualifications??

Unfortunately, it seems that the more qualified you are the most it costs to get better qualified. I am currently employed full time but after 18 years in an office have decided for a career change, I am having to pay for my degree myself whilst I carry on working and am intending to use the degree to go on and do teaching for which there is now being charged tutition fees which I find quite extortionate as its an extra year full time study, where I have to give up my job and be a student, get a bursary, student loan, and end up owing more money to be able to teach the future generations!
I am the same I had an Eng degree and A Levels etc and it took me 6 months to get a job that paid more than 10k per year. Its rubbish.
topcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:46
scruffpot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
That is absolutly disgusting.

HEY TV crews, Dispatches etc, tell you what, me a EYE2006 give us some money and cameras, let us make a documentary about the whole JSA etc situation.

Im not going to knock the people who deal with me at the JSA in my town because they have been really helpful and I get to see someone specially every 2weeks (which is a bit strange usually you have to que up) downsatirs and I bypass it all.

Im trying to get a job go on courses and there is no help what so ever, if you have qualifiactions.

The adult college by me, Im waiting till oct for a course that has set me back 400 pounds, do you think If I had no qualifiactions it would be free, the awnser to that is actually, YES.
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:49
Pink Mouse
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Eye2006
First you need to get on to Newdeal,then you need to get onto a gateway to work course.On the Gateway to work course you are often confronted by tutors who have attitudes against unemployed people.One time I was told that I loved being unemployed.By the end of the day I threw a cup at the wall but really wish I had thrown the tutor out the window.

great fun isnt it!? Ive been on a gateway to work course, it was fantastic, 25 people cramed in a area suitable for 15 with only 10 computers to do jobsearch on, tutors who spoke to you like you were jobless because you were either 1, stupid or 2, lazy,

either way they want to to apply for every job in the paper regarless of wether or not you are qualified for it because its 'good interview experince' yeah right great when the employer looks at you gone out when if you actually manage to bluff a interview they realise you have no idea what the job is about!.

Also they have no idea what "I want to work with computers" I know someone who went to them and said this and they were sent on a admin course - no my dear he said "computer course" not admin course, he did say clearly that he wanted to work repairing problems on networks, not causing them.

I think you found my pet hate! gateway to work courses!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:52
Pink Mouse
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by scruffpot
I am on the dole, I have qualifications (English degree and maths GCSE).
I went to a jobs fair today, because there were a few agencies and I was in need of some advice cv check etc.

I am Inhouse trained at driving fork lifts (I dont have the proper qualifications but can be authorised to drive).
I saw a company which works with learn direct and a few other companies offer training to get the full fork lift license, being Im on the dole I though that would be usefull get the full qualification then I can go get a job asap (ok not fantastic job but its money).

However I found out you have to do a literacy and numeracy test before going on the course. I was asked if I have qualifications I said 'Yes I do' (see above)
I was told being I have qualifications I would have to pay to go on the course if I didn't it would be free!!! even though Im on the dole wanting to train to get off the dole and work.

So therefore if you have botherd to go and get an education but end up on the dole to go back into training to get qualifications to get a job you have to pay (mind your on the dole with very little money). Where as you havent got qualifiactions its all free.

It doesnt make much sense to me, ok I know there are people who want jobs no qualifactions etc, and its good for them but if your like me with qualications you have to shell out loads of money to get a job. Crap init.

Its unfair isnt it?

What makes you different because you have a degree? nothing you are out of work like everyone else, do they think people who had degrees hoard money under their beds for this kind of stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 15:57
scruffpot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
Originally Posted by nanamoan
with so many people now having degrees I think the job market is getting tougher, although I wouldnt have thought it that hard that there was nothing!! When did you finish uni and what have you been doing since? I cant believe that there are no jobs when you have a degree? Are you sure that you want to work? or just want to spend your time getting qualifications??

Unfortunately, it seems that the more qualified you are the most it costs to get better qualified. I am currently employed full time but after 18 years in an office have decided for a career change, I am having to pay for my degree myself whilst I carry on working and am intending to use the degree to go on and do teaching for which there is now being charged tutition fees which I find quite extortionate as its an extra year full time study, where I have to give up my job and be a student, get a bursary, student loan, and end up owing more money to be able to teach the future generations!

I finished uni in 2001, I worked throughout uni everyday in a crappy job in the evening, after uni i went to work for an exhibition centre building concerts shows etc, good job money etc, but on average 82 hrs a week with no extra benefits or over time paid just one straight wage. 5 years of that I had enough, actually my body had enough and gave up. I relocated down sth because of the chance to plus where i lived was a not very nice town, fed up of being attacked most nights by gangs, lifestyle etc and just general shite.
Have worked up till crimbo then we all got sacked.
So yeah degrees mean nothing, only problem when you look into a lot of graduate jobs a majority are all marketing sales.
So yeah ive paid my way through taxes, even through uni, dont have a student loan I worked, even paid the entrance fees myself. Had a bloomin good time though
Ok it doesnt help liveing where i live down sth west jobs are not good and the money isnt to good (plymouth) but then I wouldnt swop this for any other large town ever.beaches 10 mins away dartmoor etc clean air space green parks most places.

After what ive paid through taxes etc, Im qualified but is there any help for people like me to get on corses for free. No.
Makes me wonder was it all worth it, should i have given up school, college, uni, to go on the dole and get it al for free.
But then Ild never of done that cause im used to hard graft, not just flaoting through it all.

Im not knocking ppl who have no qualifiactions and are doing something for them selves fair play to you and good luck, its just my position im talking about
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 16:00
topcat2
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,949
A friend of mine a few years ago did a drama degree hes really into drama and performing arts and then wanted to get on this musical apprenticeship scheme through the job centre but guess what because he has a degree he can't do it.
Doesnt get him work though does it and if hes qualified for it and prepared to do the work why should the scheme go to some spotty oik who can't be arsed rather than someone who is really really up for it and wants to do every aspect of it. He graduated 6 years or so ago now and I think he still doesn't have that good a job this scheme would have really helped him. It really pisses me off.

I have another friend who has 3 kids, worked for 6 months when she finished school at 16 and has been on benefits ever since. They paid for her to do a college course 2 years ago including childcare costs and everything and then offered but she hasn't taken them up on it, to pay for her to do a uni course too. All paid for no debt. Incidentally since she finished it she still doesn't have a job or have any intention of getting one seemingly. So have a few kids and abuse the system and you get everything paid for, keep your head down and work hard you send up with a huge mountain of debt and your prospects still aren't much better for it. Is there any incentive to actually work in this country.
topcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 17:25
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Weeksy
Hold on, you have a degree in English and you can't get a job?

Something about your post doesn't add up... don't you have A-Levels? Kinda essential for a degree I thought. You can't just go from GCSE to uni....
You can get on degrees without them, especially if you are classed as a mature student and have relevant experience
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 17:27
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
There is a grant, you can get up to 200 off course fees. You need to be on benefits, and it doesn't matter about the level of qualification that you have already studied to.

It used to be that if you had studied a degree, you weren't entitled to help, even if you were benefits. But you need to find a provider that will except the voucher you get given.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 17:33
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Eye2006
I have recently been put on a thirteen week course!Stops here.There is NO course atall.I live in Lewisham and have to travel to Colliers Wood everyday just to do a bit of jobsearch for thirteen weeks.On interview I asked them what the courses were like.And they turn around and state,"We don't have courses anymore due to Government not giving us enough funding anymore''.
I suddenly thought,why I bothered to come .


First you need to get on to Newdeal,then you need to get onto a gateway to work course.On the Gateway to work course you are often confronted by tutors who have attitudes against unemployed people.One time I was told that I loved being unemployed.By the end of the day I threw a cup at the wall but really wish I had thrown the tutor out the window.

It is mainly jobsearching.No courses and only a few volunteers coming in to tell you that they will listen to what ails you.NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.

But oh!The jobcentre have become different.They are so arrogant that you have to make an appointment to see anybody.They even go as far to put bodyguards outside the entrance.No appointment then you can only use the telphone to Belfast and then get put through to someone less than half a mile away.Upstairs.

The Rushey green Jobcentre has become a border control.There is a line which meets the carpet and the wood floor.Cannot pass the line without showing evidence of an appointment.One time,somebody got thrown out and they nearly broke that persons neck.The advisors always wanted JSA claimers to go to the jobcentre.Now it looks like they want you to call Jobcentre Direct on the telephone as they dont want vizavi with any of its clients.As if they are swept off their feet.The other day I saw two advisors playing card game.Whatever it was,there accompanied a barrel of laughter and all the other advisors were placing bets of who would win.THe winner would get fifty pounds to spend where they liked.

I'm on New Deal, and thankfully I've bypassed that stupid "Gateway to Work" course. If you get your placement sorted out quickly you can do this.

I have to say I'd get very angry if someone told me I loved being unemployed! It is the most boring thing ever! Maybe some people love being unemployed, but its very frustrating to hear that from some idiot who doesn't even know you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 18:53
Sir Chasm
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: everywhere and nowhere
Posts: 3,569
Originally Posted by Weeksy
Something about your post doesn't add up... don't you have A-Levels? Kinda essential for a degree I thought. You can't just go from GCSE to uni....
Oh yes one can ...
Sir Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 19:00
Sir Chasm
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: everywhere and nowhere
Posts: 3,569
Originally Posted by Eye2006
NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.
These "New Deal" courses for the unemployed ... are they any good? Presumably not if you've been round three times
Sir Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 19:06
Eye2006
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by ejmd
These "New Deal" courses for the unemployed ... are they any good? Presumably not if you've been round three times

They used to be until the government withdrew funding for various training courses.Newdeal.I call it a Raw Deal across the board.

The teachers remind me of Squidward.They hate their jobs and find it more interesting to be at home,reading the arts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 19:44
AstraZen
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 667
Im on new deal. Doing voluntry work for a charity shop for 12 weeks. The first place at the 'training place' so horrible, 95% of people did not want to work and plain criminals, drug dealing on induction and constantly interupting the person who has come in to give further advice. Really pissed me off that did, and I hope i never have to go through it again.
AstraZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 20:16
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Malone1uk
Im on new deal. Doing voluntry work for a charity shop for 12 weeks. The first place at the 'training place' so horrible, 95% of people did not want to work and plain criminals, drug dealing on induction and constantly interupting the person who has come in to give further advice. Really pissed me off that did, and I hope i never have to go through it again.
Thats why I would advice anyone who is about to go on New Deal to get their placement sorted out quickly. Then you can start it once you're offically on the scheme.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:34
scruffpot
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
update update update.....went to the dole office today this mornign to sign on, told them what i had been told at the careers fair etc, the bloke agreed with me that it isn't fair how it is run, and that is special circumtances have put me on the corse, well its a 4 months waiting list but.... ill ahve job by then however even if i have a job if i can get the time off i can go on it still
See rememeber fight for what you think you can get.
scruffpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 14:05
sm9ai
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by Weeksy
Hold on, you have a degree in English and you can't get a job?
Not at all. This is repeated all across the country. This government has completely wrecked the graduate market.
sm9ai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 14:10
johnhmd2005
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 88
I've been on JSA for a few months now, but unemployed longer Apparently, in a few weeks I'll be passed onto this New Deal thing, oh great...

Life is worth living.. isn't it?
johnhmd2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 14:35
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by johnhmd2005
I've been on JSA for a few months now, but unemployed longer Apparently, in a few weeks I'll be passed onto this New Deal thing, oh great...

Life is worth living.. isn't it?
You'll end up on it for 3 months if you get your placement sorted out now. Don't wait the first 13 weeks, that gateway to work course is rubbish.You are so much better off if you get your placement sorted out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 01:20
Bonesy84
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ????
Posts: 2,663
think am coming to going on gateway to work god its a waste of time
Bonesy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 01:30
Sulriss
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Bonesy84
think am coming to going on gateway to work god its a waste of time
Well why don't you get a placement sorted out? I know I keep going on about it, but you don't have to wait the first 13 weeks, once you're on New Deal you can just start a placement. Seems a lot better than waiting around and being forced to go on that stupid course.
  Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:04.