Options

No DOGS on the BBC football game

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,483
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching the England match tonight.

Did anybody else notice a HUGE improvement to the interactive facility?

Admittedly, it took a lot longer than normal to activate after pressing the red button, BUT once it was working and I selected the "No Commentary" option, I was left with an almost perfect game of football!

Absolutely No DOGS whatsoever!
and No annoying commentary!

It was a little stange not having the clock and score on the screen all the time, but it was a great experience.

The only snag was that it wasn't in widescreen. But that wasn't really BBC's fault as Slovakia do not have widescreen cameras.

Brendan

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turned it off due to the lack of a clock! Very stupid not to have it on.
  • Options
    dan2002UKdan2002UK Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    What was the minute wait for interactive to load thought?

Fame Academy has no blue screen transition, and looks quite complex. The football looked a fairly simple affair, but it took ages to load.

I listened to 5live commentry, for the first time since ive had sky and I must say what a refreshing change it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by dan2002UK
    What was the minute wait for interactive to load thought?

Interactive during the footy only took around 10 seconds to loadup on my SKY+ and a damn sight more interesting than the first half :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by OnMacca
    I turned it off due to the lack of a clock! Very stupid not to have it on.
    I liked the lack of graphics. I usually find the clock and logo distracting.

The electronic adverts at the side of the pitch were distracting enough.

I have a clock in my room and can roughly judge the time remaining, and not once did I forget the score!!!!!!!

Brendan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the poor viewers who were 30 minutes late for the match and didn't know that we had fallen 1-0 down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by OnMacca
    What about the poor viewers who were 30 minutes late for the match and didn't know that we had fallen 1-0 down?
    What about them?

A reminder caption with the score appeared at the bottom of the screen during the match...... just like they used to do many many years ago.

If they were late, then they would have seen the score on the main BBC1 channel just before pressing the red button anyway.

If somebody switches to a movie channel 30 minutes into a movie, should there be a continuous DOG explaining whats happened so far?

Brendan
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by brendan_dj
    What about them?

A reminder caption with the score appeared at the bottom of the screen during the match...... just like they used to do many many years ago.

If they were late, then they would have seen the score on the main BBC1 channel just before pressing the red button anyway.

If somebody switches to a movie channel 30 minutes into a movie, should there be a continuous DOG explaining whats happened so far?

Brendan

Whenever there's a sporting event abroad, why do the BBC/ITV use the host broadcasters graphics for score captions and other information flashing on-screen (apart from the annoying continuous BBC/ITV score and clock DOG), rather than their own.

I.e. RTE graphics for the Irish Oaks or Irish Champion Stakes, and RAI Uno Graphics for Italian 6 Nations home games. BBC's own graphics would be a lot better, but no continuous DOG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by david16
    Whenever there's a sporting event abroad, why do the BBC/ITV use the host broadcasters graphics for score captions and other information flashing on-screen (apart from the annoying continuous BBC/ITV score and clock DOG), rather than their own.

This usually happens when they can't manage to get clean feeds from the host broadcaster, or they simply want paying too much for them, so in these situations they have to make do with the host broadcasters graphics.
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dog-less screen and an option in the interactive menus to add the dog/time etc back on then anyone? In fact, have it so that you can select the on screen clutter you like (score, dog, timer etc) and have the digibox send the info back to the BBC indicating what people chose - then that will give them an indiation of how popular dogs are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by tin
    dog-less screen and an option in the interactive menus to add the dog/time etc back on then anyone? In fact, have it so that you can select the on screen clutter you like (score, dog, timer etc) and have the digibox send the info back to the BBC indicating what people chose - then that will give them an indiation of how popular dogs are!

Perhaps an email to the BBC praising them for the lack of distracting clutter is warranted.

We are always very quick to criticise when broadcasters annoy us, but when they use initiative and do something positive, then it is worthy of praise!

Lets set an example and congratulate them and voice that a dogless picture is what the licence-payer wants.

Brendan