Options

15, GCSEs next year, where do I start.

Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
Forum Member
✭✭
As the topic says, where do you suggest I should start to revise?

(Not that i'm not revising now :p)

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    your bedroom?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would spend time going over things you have learned in lessons, maybe reading extra books, its never too early to revise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Whatever works for you!

I've always been a crammer - staying up the night before the exam to review my notes. Friends of mine have used revision plans from February onwards. You know best what works for you - stick to that instead of enforcing rules that won't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your bedroom?
    smartarse. :p

----
    So I guess I'd just have to find a way that suits me then, I have had a look at past GCSE tests, they look pretty ok, and easy to understand.

• Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start revising early.... I didnt, screwed up my exams and was told i wouldnt be allowed in too 6th form.

Its taken me 4 years or solid hard work to make it up.... I had to take 2 GNVQ's to be qualified to take A Levels to be Qualified to go to University and ive just finished my first year, whearas had i got my expected Grades id have just finished my third and final year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take things slowly. Don't cram.

Be organised - makesure that your notes, work and books are all in order.

Ask teachers about revision classes and extra work you can do - they'll be happy to help.

Be calm, get lots of sleep, eat well and exercise. Work hard in class and listen to advice.

Find out what learning style you prefer (visual, auditory or kinaesthetic) and create revision material that helps you out with that. (message me if you need tips advising you on what type of revision suits individual learning styles)

Good Luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just done my GCSE's :D w0000000000t

My method of revision was : CRAM (like I've never done before).............I simply don't remember information when I'm not under pressure........

However it does depend on how much you have understood of the subjects etc.......and each person has their own style of revision
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    i only have 3 exams left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    just find a way that suits you - thats what i've done and they've been ok
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    And make sure you don't spend all your time here :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using these books to help me revise...
    http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/books4.asp

I find them pretty good, they make it all down to earth. :D
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Andy B wrote:
    I've been using these books to help me revise...
    http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/books4.asp

I find them pretty good, they make it all down to earth. :D
    Yeah I can vouch for those, they're very useful (and I sat my GCSEs 5 years ago).
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the BBC Bitesize that helped me quite alot, all down to earth and quite simple really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found making post it notes of key facts and sticking them up around my room worked for me - things seem to sink in when you see them all the time and I passed 13 GCSE's with no other revision but this.

Use whatever works for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bitesize is pish. Dont spend your time on this. Start revising about a month before the exams.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Euan wrote:
    BBC Bitesize is pish. Dont spend your time on this. Start revising about a month before the exams.

Don't knock it it helped me out, it puts things very plainly and easy to understand.

But in answer to the main question of this thread, just do what you find best, take on board what others say give some a try and if you like them great, if not it doesn't matter. Just do what suits you best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a crammer, revision for myself is quite literally impossible if i attempt to do it months before the exam, sadly.

I would suggest starting as early as possible, you don't want that awful feeling of 'Oh my God, I Can't do this' 3 days before the exam...
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Euan wrote:
    That's ridiculous. 45mins before the start of the exam is more than enough. It certainly was for me in Advanced Higher Geography.
  • Options
    Sir ChasmSir Chasm Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote:
    That's ridiculous. 45mins before the start of the exam is more than enough. It certainly was for me in Advanced Higher Geography.
    Perhaps you shouldn't have done any revision at all--certainly not a whole forty-five minutes worth! If the exam result is going to be worth anything, the examination should test what you know, not what you can cram into your short-term memory in three-quarters-of-an-hour just prior to the start-time :mad:
  • Options
    amjadcamjadc Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I always intend to start my revision early in february every year for the past 4 years, but i always manage to leave it too late and have to cram it all in at the end. Not good
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revision is pointless, go out and play football instead or meet girls. you'll learn more that way
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about revision. I never. Failed the lot mind, but, hey, so what. I studied in my mid-twenties and passed everything with flying colours because I was interested. What's the rush to pass exams while still a teenager - the age when you're least likely to actually want to do the damn things anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    especially as you have to work until you are 70 anyway, its not like you don't have plenty of time for a career
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to find out whats best for you.

How do you learn best? Do you take in things better by reading something, hearing something or are you a more active learner?

With this in mind work out a timetable.

Its far too early to start revising at the moment because you would have little to revise anyway. Just enjoy the summer for now and forget about tests and everything.
    Then half way through the year when youve done a lot of the work start revising a little each night. Not too much though as you wont be able to take it all in

That would be ideal. Dont leave it to the last minute.
    I did very little revision when I did my tests as am laid back and I regret it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends on the person, i did little revision and passed all my GCSEs fairly easily
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Sir Chasm wrote:
    Perhaps you shouldn't have done any revision at all--certainly not a whole forty-five minutes worth! If the exam result is going to be worth anything, the examination should test what you know, not what you can cram into your short-term memory in three-quarters-of-an-hour just prior to the start-time :mad:
    It wasn't about how much you know, it was about you use that knowledge and apply it to a scenario. The actual exam was a map interpretation question (which is pretty straight forward in terms of knowledge; you just need to think about it in the exam) and some statistical stuff, which was easy as I'd already sat my Maths (Stats) exam, which was signficantly more difficult. Finally, the result isn't that important as it's only worth 30% of the course total (coursewok accounts for 70%) and besides I'm already going to University anyway.