Options

How long can you be sick until your employer can legally dismiss you?

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long can you be sick (with medical certificates) until your employer can legally dismiss you?
Can they sack you after the 28 weeks of statuary sick pay end?

Comments

• Options
    duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long can you be sick (with medical certificates) until your employer can legally dismiss you?
    Can they sack you after the 28 weeks of statuary sick pay end?
    Not sure if they can legally sack you straight away, but if it recurs again I think most firms make it extremely uncomfortable for the employee. The old motto watch ur back!
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I come from they cannot sack you while on sick leave. They can though when you get back from sickle..., but they cannot put that as a reason.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A company can sack you legally for being off sick a long time provided they follow the correct procedure and your illness is not covered by the disabilities act.

Most companies are reasonable about sickness, so if you are genuinely ill and have followed your company's sickness reporting procedure , I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a girl at work who had a bad car crash and was off sick for 2 1/2 years. After this time, she was offered voluntary redundancy and she accepted and got a pay off.
    I really don't think you can be sacked for being off sick but you can be paid off.
  • Options
    FrothyFrothy Posts: 227
    Forum Member
  • Options
    FrothyFrothy Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    newwoman wrote:
    We had a girl at work who had a bad car crash and was off sick for 2 1/2 years. After this time, she was offered voluntary redundancy and she accepted and got a pay off.
    I really don't think you can be sacked for being off sick but you can be paid off.

Was she being paid during all that time?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on what sort of sick you are off with - if your employers don't think you are fit to do the job, they can take action under capability grounds, or see if you can be moved into another position within the company.
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    newwoman wrote:

You can be dismissed for being unable to do the job, as others have said, ie. due to ill health. The organisation needs to ensure they have followed a fair process, checked no other jobs might be suitable (checked disability issues, ie whether any reasonable adjustments can be made to the job), ensured that they know as much about the prognosis for the job etc. The employee would have a right of appeal also.

There is no immediate link with sick pay though, ie when SSP runs out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm such a muppet.

I just rang work to let my boss know I'm not well (I have ehm, a dicky tummy, and that's being polite).

Meaning to say either "I'm not very well" or "I'm a poorly bunny" I got mixed up and went "I'm not poorly".

Now she's REALLY gonna believe me!! Doesn't help that work have a bee in their bonnet about my absences - I have had 8 days this year, 4 covered by a hospital sick note (I had wisdom teeth out under a general anaesthetic), 2 covered by a doctors note (yes I know I don't need a GP note until it's after 5 days, but they gave me such a hard time over it that I actually paid the doc for a note to prove I was ill - I had that winter vomiting thing at the start of the year) and a couple of days from what I've got now, which is essentially IBS made worse by the time of the month.

I *didn't* take time off when I got back from hols with a bleedin' sea urchin spine in my foot - I couldn't walk too well and I had to visit A&E to get it removed, but no, I still worked... But you can bet they will give me grief when I get in tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    u dont need a sick not for an absence under 7 days you are more than entitled to have time off due to illness. but i would express caution as alot of sick time is taken by people in short bursts like 1 day here 1 day there. as long as you are actually ill then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BoBaDoB wrote:
    u dont need a sick not for an absence under 7 days you are more than entitled to have time off due to illness. but i would express caution as alot of sick time is taken by people in short bursts like 1 day here 1 day there. as long as you are actually ill then you have nothing to worry about.

But not all company's pay sick leave or will just give you say 5 or 7 days in a year. After that you have to use SSP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The firm I work for dock your "bonus".

Not that it's much of a bonus, cos it's achieved by meeting factory production targets - which us office staff have little or no input towards. But if we go off sick for even just one day in a month, we lose bonus for that quarter. A lot of staff are wise to how their system works and will come in, work an hour or so, and then go home "ill" because it doesn't count then.

I don't think I'll get anything this year, but hey-ho..
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The firm I work for, if you're off, you don't get paid, simple as that! You're entitled to SSP after the 3rd day, and that's it.

A lot more employers are doing that these days it seems!
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had to dismiss a couple of people after being of sick for a year or more and on full pay/half pay on ill health grounds. It is not a quick and easy process, employers need to ensure procedures are followed.
  • Options
    grotbags1975grotbags1975 Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just go the depression route, its not hard to convince your doctor for certs! its the worst case scenario for an employer, they cant sack u, but u'll have to put up with ssp
  • Options
    senorsenor Posts: 2,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just go the depression route, its not hard to convince your doctor for certs! its the worst case scenario for an employer, they cant sack u, but u'll have to put up with ssp

Yes they can sack you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and that's what makes it difficult for people who actually DO get depression and need a break to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely!

God, why don't some folk realise that depression is a debilatating and disabling condition, not just when you 'feel a bit low'.

It makes me mad when folk try to milk the system in this way.

Anyone who has had depression will understand - if you haven't, believe me you don't want it.

Why is it acceptable to feign depression, but not fybromylagia or ME (2 other disabling conditions which also cannot be easily detected) ?
  • Options
    Transistor23Transistor23 Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Is an employer legally obliged to pay SSP and how long do they have to pay it for?

Surely they can't sack you whislt you're off sick?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that if you've worked for your employer for less than 2 years, they can release you of your services with no reason at all, this is what someone told me - is this true? I find it hard to believe this can be the law!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone who works for my parents sprainer her wrist about 4 months ago (before Christmas) and had the cast off within 3 weeks. However she keeps complaining to the doctor about the pain so he gives her another sick note. She is currently using the wages she got to go on holiday when she is in 'too much pain to work'. If someone like that can't be fired then if you are genuinly ill you will be fine.