Options

The difference between a single/double tuner

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wanted to know what is the difference between a single tuner and a twin tuner I have some idea (I think) but I just need some clarification as its for the bedroom. Many thanks sent

Comments

• Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single tuner has 1 tuner and a twin tuner has 2.

Some single tuners allow you to watch a prerecorded programme whilst recording 1, some don't. Either type will allow you to watch the programme as it is recording.

With a twin tuner at the very least you can watch either a prerecorded programme or another channel whilst recording a programme, so for instance you could watch Channel 4 whilst recording BBC1.

Other twin tuners allow you to record 2 programmes and have the option of watching either of the programmes as they record or a prerecorded programme.

Twin tuners like the Topfield and Humax allow you to record 2 and watch a 3rd channel. The only proviso is that the 3rd channel must be on the same mux as either of the 2 recorded channels. Of course you also have the option of watching either of the recording channels or a prerecorded programme.

I have probably made it a lot more complicated than it should be and I'm sure somebody will explain it better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Padre
    Twin tuners like the Topfield and Humax allow you to record 2 and watch a 3rd channel. The only proviso is that the 3rd channel must be on the same mux as either of the 2 recorded channels. [/QUOTE]

Thats fine its what I thought it was but can you explain to me what you mean by "the same mux" as I plan to buy a twin tuner for my living room and just wanted to know specifically about recording 2 channels and watching one so please explain "mux" to me please and thanks for replying to my previous post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multiplex. A number of channels can be broadcast at the same frequency. Therefore a tuner can receive any of the channels on the same mux without re-tuning. A twin-tuner will allow you to record any two channels from any frequencies and also view a third at the same frequency as one of the other two.
  • Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multiplex. A number of channels can be broadcast at the same frequency. Therefore a tuner can receive any of the channels on the same mux without re-tuning. A twin-tuner will allow you to record any two channels from any frequencies and also view a third at the same frequency as one of the other two.

AFAIK the only PVR's available at the moment that allow viewing a 3rd channel whilst recording 2 are the Topfield and the Humax.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,835
    Forum Member
    There are currently six muliplexes being used by terrestial digital TV. The stations are grouped on them here

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Richard
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,835
    Forum Member
    Another difference between single and Twin tuner recorders is that there are now AFAIK no single tuner HDD only recorders being made. As said already the main difference is between Twin tuners that can record two programmes at once and those that just record on one tuner and use the other for watching something else live.

As padre says only the Humax 9200 and the Topfield can do the 2 recordings plus watch a third live if on same Mux as one of the recordings trick.

There are by the way no recorders with both a HDD and a DVDR with twin digital tuners. They all only have one digital tuner although I think some have a digital and an analogue tuner. They cannot however AFAIK record from both at the same time.

It is all a bit confusing really :D

Richard
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote:
    Another difference between single and Twin tuner recorders is that there are now AFAIK no single tuner HDD only recorders being made.

How about the Humax 8000T and Technotrend (e.g. GHDD1782DVBT 80GB)? Not sure they are still being made but they are both still advertised for sale.

Colin