Options

Rock Radio 96.3fm

Comments

• Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you willl find that the format shown was in fact an updated one in that document. I have the previous ones on file and am not aware of any UTV changes up to the point when they sold the station. The last format issued was in 1999.

Whoever changed it is not important, the fact that it was changed fairly significantly is noteworthy. It's rather strange that the format printed in the consultation differs from the one that governed Q96 for a long time previously.

Interesting.

I identified a seachange in Q's music policy from the point at which Gary Burgess took over as PC in February 2003. Suddenly Q, having been re-named back to Q96, started playing a great deal more currents, and a bigger variety of currents than had been the case up until then. Examples included bands such as Tatu, Feeder and of course Red Hot Chillis with their "Zepphyr Song" (I would swear Paul McLoone played that ruddy song every time I tuned into him for almost a year!)

I believe the rationale behind it was to make Q's USP it's local content rather than its music, and a starightforeward hits and oldies playlist would give it broader appeal than a "classic hits" format. It was an interesting theory, but unfortunately it came at a time when Clyde 1 and Real decided battle it out with similar music policies.

Am I not right in thinking though, that at the time of the original Paisley licence contest in 1992, the Glennifer Sound/First FM bid in fact proposed something similar.....a broad-appeal 50/50 split of current/contemporary hits and classic oldies with lots of local content......but the then Radio Authority awarded the licence to PLR on the basis that their quality classic hits-led proposition offered more broadening of choice?

Could it be that at the stroke of a pen, the regulator may have effectively allowed Q to adopt the format proposed by the main losing bid in 1992? I would be interested to hear wavejockglw's views on this topic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Cant wait for it to launch good luck to all the team

What time is it launching at on the countdown it says
    1 hour 46 min 50 sec are that launching it at 5pm

http://www.rockradiofm.co.uk/
  • Options
    BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dj dave wrote:
    What time is it launching at on the countdown it says
    1 hour 46 min 50 sec are that launching it at 5pm

http://www.rockradiofm.co.uk/

That would make it 6pm for launch time Dave :)
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that at the stroke of a pen, the regulator may have effectively allowed Q to adopt the format proposed by the main losing bid in 1992? I would be interested to hear wavejockglw's views on this topic.

But the regulator has been quite clear that the music content of small scale licences is not really important to them - it is the local content that distinguishes them from their larger heritage competitors. 30% or 45% currents hardly changes the broad character of a service.

You will note that there has been a formal consultation on the move to Bailleston, for example, because it directly affects the local nature of the licence. But the change in music format, which arguably will make the biggest difference to what comes out of the speakers, is a commercial decision, about which Ofocm takes
    no interest.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Two minute countdown - Castle Rock... um... Rock Radio voiceover goes through some of the bands on the playlist.

60 seconds now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And it's off. Interestingly with Revolution by The Beatles. Was that not the first song on Beat 106?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 35,001
    Forum Member
    First song - Revelution, Beatles.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as beat 106 then....... original!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great idea to launch with the same song as a defunct station. :) Suspect no-one but the anoraks like us will notice though, so I don't think they'll be too concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rod Stewart launches the station - I would guess on tape, with the cheesy words: "You're in my heart, and you're in my soul Scotland, so let's rock."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sign of any reference to Paisley...... maybe tomorrow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good luck with that. I think it's going to be Scotland all the way, with a very rare Renfrewshire and Glasgow statement. I suspect the only meaningful reference to Paisley or Renfrewshire is likely to be local news and traffic - they're going to try and bury that as far as they can.

Little test for the regulators then - and for the people who complained about QFM last time around.

Website has launched - seems rather basic at this stage it must be said, but then they're not building on any existing national templates. Tom Russell looks terrifying.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote:

Website has launched - seems rather basic at this stage it must be said, but then they're not building on any existing national templates. Tom Russell looks terrifying.

Looks like the weekends will be largely automated too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    automated daily from 6pm too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like they've gone for a soft launch tonight with Kieron the first presenter going live tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they've gone for a soft launch tonight with Kieron the first presenter going live tomorrow morning.

You have to ask what's the point in launching at 6pm if you won't hear a jock on air till tomorrow breakfast? Surely a "proper" launch at peak morning listening time would be better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting - GMG are not going to push the boat out on this station. It's only going to be live 6am-6pm. 6pm-6am is down as "6-2-6 Non-Stop Rock".

Not many surprises in the schedule.

6am-10am Kieron Elliott on breakfast
    10am-10.40am Non-stop rock
    10.40am-2pm Tom Russell
    2pm-6pm David Grant (except he's now become David "The Captain" Grant, for some unexplained reason)

Weekend:
    6am-9am Wild Willie (?)
    9am-10.40am Non-stop rock
    10.40am-2pm David Grant (Saturday), and a much moodier looking Ciaran O'Toole on Sunday.
    2pm-6pm Head the Baw (presumably some Rock n Roll Football hybrid) on Saturday, 2pm-4pm Rock A-Z and then 4pm-6pm Rock Chart.

Is that it for tonight then? Non-stop music for another 12 hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does make you wonder, why no female presenters either? Surely Lynne Hoggan would of fitted in to the evening shift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I suspected its radio on the cheap.... and its noteable there is no mention of Paisley or Renfrewshire anywhere on their website.

"We're a brand new station broadcasting across Scotland that launched on Monday 8th January 2007."

Are they nuts.....?? You cant get the thing past Langbank!!

I smell a yellow card coming if the website and the on-air identification is anything to go by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just heard a link now featuring most of the presenters. Pre-rec?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    any one like the shedule i dont like the automated shows.

Any one think thay will pull the listeners in. Where will Willie Doherty be he said he was going to there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dj dave wrote:
    any one like the shedule i dont like the automated shows.

Any one think thay will pull the listeners in. Where will Willie Doherty be he said he was going to there.

I am sure Kieran said in the first link he was overnights but the website doesn't back that up. He is probably "Wild Willie " on weekend breakfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smell a yellow card coming if the website and the on-air identification is anything to go by.
    You're having us on aren't you? Since when have Ofcom issued yellow cards on the basis of the content of websites?

The on-air branding alone wouldn't get them a warning either. Real Radio's on-air branding clearly refers to an all-Wales station even though it never gets any further north than Aberystwyth or Brecon on FM.

The format refers to local news provision for the Paisley area (amongst other things) and it's on that basis that they will be judged by Ofcom.

[URL=]http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/formats/al141-2.doc[/URL]
  • Options
    sussexsussex Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish them luck but really automated output from 6pm!,does drivetime finish by then in scotland?,no need for any live information or travel,i dont think anyone else automates before 7 do they?.
  • Options
    Eric RichardsonEric Richardson Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music mix is uninspired and uninsiring