Options

Contact Lens stuck in eye

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
Forum Member
Please can anyone help me?

I was getting ready to go out and was putting my contact into my left eye, i thought it had gone in but when i blinked i was still short sighted.

I can feel it in my upper eye lid but i can't see it and my eye is getting red,what do i do? I'm scared, can anyone that wears contacts please help me. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put your eye in a cup of water and try pulling the lens out? Or maybe try crying? I dunno :confused:
  • Options
    magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will eject itself. The eye is excellent at exiting foreign bodies from it.

If you want to jolly it along a bit, i would suggest closing your eyes and coercing it gently with your finger to the bottom of your lid or into the duct.

If you have to resort to flushing the eye with water...make sure its boiled or purified water.

Edit: It is impossible for a contact lens to go behind the eye...so dont panic :)
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get someone to very gently (with clean hands) lift your eyelid, and even more gently try and catch the lens and get it back down onto the front of your eyeball, or even better out of your eye altogether.

Failing that, you'd be best to pop to casualty or a local walk-in centre and get them to help.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leilanii wrote:
    Please can anyone help me?

I was getting ready to go out and was putting my contact into my left eye, i thought it had gone in but when i blinked i was still short sighted.

I can feel it in my upper eye lid but i can't see it and my eye is getting red,what do i do? I'm scared, can anyone that wears contacts please help me. :cry:

Get off DS and phone an opticians, NHS Direct, your doctor's etc. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    One of my contacts once broke in HALF in my right eye and I only managed to get half of it out, the other half was somewhere in my upper left eye, and it was very painful! What I did was close the eye and basically rub the eye really hard which got it out. On another occasion i've got a contact stuck i've got a cotton bud,, lifted the eyelid up and gently pushed the bud into the inside of the eyelid to slide it out.
  • Options
    ~Polecat~~Polecat~ Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Don't panic! Happens to me a far bit and I have been wearing contact lenses for.. hmm.. well lets just say quite a bit over 10 years....
    If you can with one hand pull up your eyelid so that you can just see the contact lense under your lid, look down and with the other hand try to slide the lense down, preferably at the side of your eye rather than over your iris, this way it doesn't sting or catch you by suprise.

Don't panic, as said above the lense can't disappear behind you eye, it can only stay under your lid.
    If you don't manage to get it out first time, take a deep breath and try again.

Please don't let this put you off wearing contacts. Good Luck :)
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MY wife (an optical adviser no less) says if you havent yet gone please go to your local A and E asap.
    Thre lens cant go behind your eye but needs to be removed before there is a problem.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often got a contact lens stuck, but never had to go to A&E! Who has time to wait for 3 hours unless necessary? Try pulling your upper lid right down over the lower one and then sliding it back up again, that will often dislodge the lens. Do NOT keep rubbing your eye, though, it will obviously get red if you do that! There's no harm in leaving the lens there for a bit, just don't panic - it will come out eventually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A trip to the Emergency Department seems a little extreme for a contact lens. I'd only go after trying everything I could think of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hover the hoover tube over your eye! :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenshukai wrote:
    Hover the hoover tube over your eye! :eek: :D

Possibly a little extreme! If they're monthly lenses, try washing out your eye with some of the lens solution, otherwise get some Optrex drops and try that.
  • Options
    ellie4265ellie4265 Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you'll have got it out by now, but if not try this - keep your head still, look down at your chest, hold one fingertip gently over your eyelid (where the lens is trapped), then, whilst keeping your fingertip there, slowly look up again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happened to me at a filling station. I'd inadvertently rubbed my eye, which was itching, then discovered everything was blurred. I assumed the lens had fallen to the ground but I couldn't see it and gave up looking, paid for the petrol and drove home - thankfully not far.

My eye was very sore but I just thought that was because I'd rubbed it. Two hours later the lens popped out from behind my eyelid, curled into a tube! It was quite a surprise.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A trip to the Emergency Department seems a little extreme for a contact lens. I'd only go after trying everything I could think of.
    Fair enough but my wife has seen some nasty infections caused when an adrift lens scratches the eye ball.
    Dont take any risks with eye sight!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Bextor wrote:
    Get off DS and phone an opticians, NHS Direct, your doctor's etc. :rolleyes:

I was only asking for advice, this is an 'advice' forum :rolleyes: there's always one...

For all the kind people that gave advice, i mananged to get it out using water, thank you! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this link: http://www.goaskalice-cms.org/1344.html.

I repeat - this is NOT a situation to panic about, certainly not in the short term. People have had contact lenses lost in their eyes for days and have suffered no ill effects, but the lens has always reappeared. The OP could quite easily wait until tomorrow morning and pop into the optician if still worried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    That happens to me all the time..
    When I got o take the contact out my long nails sometimes splits the contact and only half comes out and the other half is somewhere in the eye!
    Just gentle massage the eye where you think the contact is! Top, bottom, corner and then you will feel it come back out!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like FM 'BooBoo_kw', this used to happen to me quite often when I wore Gas permeable / 'hard' lenses.

I just use to close my eyes and 'massage' where the lens was, and after a few minutes it would go to the corner of my eye where I could then use my finger to move it to the correct position.

As others have said, there is no need to worry about it, A&E seems a little OTT.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had gas permeable lenses disappear in my eye and a bit of gentle massaging and pulling and pushing of the eyelid will usually get them back.
    However, with the daily disposables, I once tore one in my eye unknown to myself and only got most of it out.
    I only ever used to wear them when I was going out socially, and I wore my glasses for work and at the rest of the time. Anyway, for about a week afterwards I had a twitch in that eye and I couldn't think what had caused it, then, one evening while I was watching the telly, I rubbed my eye and the piece of ripped lens came out, complete with some sort of green goo. Yak. :eek:
    I went to the opticians the next day to get my eye checked out and the optician said I was fine, but to be more careful in future.
    Ooops. :o

I have been very careful since, because the sight of the green goo seemed to suggest to me some sort of an infection, but I never had any trouble with that eye since and I've had a few eye exams since then, for glasses and lenses.
  • Options
    union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me a couple of times. First time was when I first used contact lenses, and I was serving a customer. Second time was just before a film began in the cinema. Quite annoying.