Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Response from Act Against Bullying.

Old 15-01-2007, 15:29
caitlin_24
Forum Member

I emailed AAB today as Jade Goody is one of their sponsors (incredibly!)

Here's their response....it appears that morals are all well and good, but ultimately, money talks.

'I think we all know that on Big Brother people are put together in an artificial environment to stimulate aggression and confrontation and this often results in atypical behaviour. It would appear Jade has been no exception. She has supported the charity in the past and endorses our objectives, and yet she herself has proven vulnerable to letting out the aggressive instincts we all have. While it is unforgivable it is perhaps understandable.

We at Act Against Bullying do not condone any form of intimidating behaviour whether it be by Jade Goody or anybody else. We are very sorry if anyone we promote occasionally gives offence in this manner.'

Louise Burfitt-Dons, founder of Act Against Bullying, issued 15th January in response to public emails to the charity.
caitlin_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2007, 15:33
Charlottesweb
Forum Member

'We at Act Against Bullying do not condone any form of intimidating behaviour whether it be by Jade Goody or anybody else. We are very sorry if anyone we promote occasionally gives offence in this manner'

The above will come back to haunt them. jade and the charity.

How can you excuse on eperson due to circumstances and not others?

If Jade has mitigating factors, Im sure the same harsh environment ( at home, etc) could be used for many bullies.

Its either bullying or it isnt.

there is simply no excuse for taking out your troubles at dealing with a situation on another human being.
Charlottesweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:34
bilijojimbob
Banned User

that's a fantastic cop-out,
bilijojimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:37
vidalia
Forum Member

Not everyone that goes on BB lets the aggressive instincts (that we all have apparently) out. Jade has done so not only on BB but in a variety of reality programmes. Maybe she should accept that doing reality TV is not good for her or the viewers.
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:38
ZCMD94
Forum Member

What a load of bollocks!
ZCMD94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:41
Gutbomber
Forum Member

What a piece of crap response that is.
Gutbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:42
Chisato Geeste
Forum Member

An anti-bullying charity uses Jade Goody as a sponsor? The woman who has made her fortune by bullying her way through successive reality shows? The most famous bully in the UK?

"Don't bully people kids or you might become rich and famous like Jade Goody despite having absolutely no talent"

Dear God.
Chisato Geeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:44
ZCMD94
Forum Member

Exactly. There's a slight irony of it all.

They're promoting anti-bullying but using Jade Goody as a sponsor?

UH-DUH
ZCMD94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:45
caitlin_24
Forum Member

Here's a link www.actagainstbullying.com

Beggars belief
Old 15-01-2007, 15:46
Seveneyes
Forum Member

"While it is unforgivable it is perhaps understandable."
"this often results in atypical behaviour"

crap response but they are admitting she is bullying it seems....thats from an authority on the subject.
Seveneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:47
Alrightmate
Forum Member

'We at Act Against Bullying do not condone any form of intimidating behaviour whether it be by Jade Goody or anybody else. We are very sorry if anyone we promote occasionally gives offence in this manner'
Then they go on to condone it....

She has supported the charity in the past and endorses our objectives, and yet she herself has proven vulnerable to letting out the aggressive instincts we all have. While it is unforgivable it is perhaps understandable.
They've just given her an excuse to let her off the hook.
It's an excuse that any bully could use to defend themselves.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:47
caitlin_24
Forum Member

Pity they haven't dropped her like a hot potato though. I'm disappointed.
Old 15-01-2007, 15:50
radioahead
Forum Member

Originally Posted by AAB
'We are very sorry if anyone we promote occasionally gives offence in this manner.'
I thought Jade was supposed to promote them.
radioahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:54
caitlin_24
Forum Member

Follow the links and email your concerns to the charity. Maybe we can get them to drop her as a sponsor and teach Jade that she is regarded far and wide as a bully.
Old 15-01-2007, 16:00
DebbieH

Originally Posted by Alrightmate
Then they go on to condone it....

They've just given her an excuse to let her off the hook.
It's an excuse that any bully could use to defend themselves.
Exactly, and if they are willing to excuse Jade’s bullying away in this manner what are they actually trying to achieve? *is genuinely perplexed*

Originally Posted by caitlin_24
Pity they haven't dropped her like a hot potato though. I'm disappointed.
A case of all talk and no ‘action’?
Old 15-01-2007, 16:06
caitlin_24
Forum Member

Originally Posted by DebbieH
A case of all talk and no ‘action’?
I've replied to them stating as much, and saying that the patronage of Ms Goody, financial or otherwise, is obviously more important to them than their integrity.
Old 15-01-2007, 16:08
kedo
Forum Member

I think the people at Act Against Bullying have their hearts in the right place - it is an important issue for thousands of children. But they were unwise to use Jade Goody for promotional purposes, especially as she seems to be the very thing that they campaign against - see quote below.

Maybe if anyone on this board has any (real) celebrity friends they could point them in the direction of AAB and ask them to endorse the charity so that AAB can completely disassociate itself from Jade Goody and send out the message that bullying BB housemates aren't cool.

From the Act Against Bullying Website:

Does violent activity on television and in the media encourage copy cat behaviour amongst young people? Well a 15 year study carried out by the University of Michigan .. found this to be true.

Role models are used to influence impressionable minds. They are found naturally in honourable activity in society and are usually people of modest character, placid, selfless, disciplined and effective. But today they are provided by the media. These are the more colourful, ratings-driven characters who display narcissistic, aggressive, extrovertish traits. Depicted regularly on TV and in the fashionable media these characters become acceptable, credible celebrity culture.

When characters behave overly aggressively on TV the effect is the same. This is more so if the viewer is convinced that society applauds how they are behaving. Children think ‘If I behave like that I’ll end up in the cool crowd and in the celebrity magazines.’
kedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:08
bspace
Forum Member

well if i receive this pathetic responce
i for one am not going to let it stop there

i will point out to them the sort of bad publicity this responce
could lay them open to
they appear to have all but admited that jades behaviour is bullying
and i'm sure some sections of the press would be more than
interested in such a story
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:10
mattstar
Forum Member

I emailed AAB today as Jade Goody is one of their sponsors (incredibly!)

Here's their response....it appears that morals are all well and good, but ultimately, money talks.

'I think we all know that on Big Brother people are put together in an artificial environment to stimulate aggression and confrontation and this often results in atypical behaviour. It would appear Jade has been no exception. She has supported the charity in the past and endorses our objectives, and yet she herself has proven vulnerable to letting out the aggressive instincts we all have. While it is unforgivable it is perhaps understandable.

We at Act Against Bullying do not condone any form of intimidating behaviour whether it be by Jade Goody or anybody else. We are very sorry if anyone we promote occasionally gives offence in this manner.'

Louise Burfitt-Dons, founder of Act Against Bullying, issued 15th January in response to public emails to the charity.
I emailed earlier on in the morning , but didn't get a response will email them again

Very interesting response maybe you should forward your initial email and response to the following email address:

fiona.cummins@mirror.co.uk

Last edited by mattstar : 15-01-2007 at 16:19.
mattstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:14
willywonker
Forum Member

Here's a link www.actagainstbullying.com

Beggars belief
Perhaps we should all email them and put our views across
willywonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:14
MadonnaMIX
Forum Member

In other words she gives us money so its ok for her to bully
MadonnaMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:16
Dominatrix_Bex
Banned User

That's disgusting. It really is. You would expect a charity like that to be deeply disappointed by her actions and end their association. But like other people said, money obviously talks doesn't it?

I noticed they've removed her picture from the front page though...
Dominatrix_Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:21
Specktater
Forum Member

>%...
Louise Burfitt-Dons,founder of Act Against Bullying, issued 15th January in response to public emails to the charity.
Oops, can't even blame a minion. That's an unbelievable response.
Specktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:23
caitlin_24
Forum Member

Originally Posted by willywonker
Perhaps we should all email them and put our views across
The more, the merrier in this case. I think we could make a difference in this case, unlike complaining to C4 or Endecash.
Old 15-01-2007, 16:23
foxyred
Forum Member

So what they are saying is that because Jade gives them money, they can't comment on her behaviour in the house.
foxyred is offline   Reply With Quote