Options

Why did Paul Merton and Ian Hislop hate Angus Deayton so much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
I just watched Angus Deaytons last ever show on HIGNFY and he gets it in the neck from Merton and Hislop. I knew they disliked him but why? And why so badly? Deayton never seemed that bad to me?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    because he's smug and talentless? like Hislop and Merton or not, at least they've done something

or maybe all three just had massive egos!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Angus too.

I read somewhere that they disliked the fact that Angus thought he was the star of the show. How true that is I do not know.

His last programme was after he had been exposed in the Red Tops - usual fare, drugs & sex.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    I liked Angus too.

I read somewhere that they disliked the fact that Angus thought he was the star of the show. How true that is I do not know.

His last programme was after he had been exposed in the Red Tops - usual fare, drugs & sex.

Yes no one can read an autocue quite like Angus
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    He was someone who relied on a very smug, one-note style of humour that was largely scripted yet he basked in the misleading image of himself as some kind of 'spontaneous' wit. When you sit watching someone over about four hours every Thursday reading out the efforts of a whole team of scriptwriters, and then watch him soak up the praise, it'd probably niggle. But I think the two reacted more to the tabloid controversy that he brought on their show - the longer he stayed after that first flurry of reports (expecting, seemingly, a 'BBC defends toked-up chasers of groupies' set of headlines) the more he was undermining the future of the series.
  • Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote:
    Yes no one can read an autocue quite like Angus

No, they couldn't. Angus' delivery was always spot on. You wouldn't chastise Tony Hancock or the Two Ronnies for reading their prewritten lines with such accuracy, would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, they couldn't. Angus' delivery was always spot on. You wouldn't chastise Tony Hancock or the Two Ronnies for reading their prewritten lines with such accuracy, would you?

No, but they acted as well. They didn't just read the lines out.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They were talented and in the case of Ronnie Barker actually wrote a lot of his own material.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me that a lot of people just think of Angus as just turning up to HIGNFY on a Friday and reading the autocue. Anyone who's seen the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD will know that the host has the most work to put in during the week, and Ian Paul and the guests are the ones who just turn up on the day and do their thing. Angus has written, performed in comedy and serious roles before and after HIGNY, but never seems to get any credit for it. I've no idea if he was a bit of a diva behind the scenes, but I don't see as that's a reason to belittle his role in the show. I think the woeful guest hosts there's been since he departed has proved it's not as easy as Angus made it appeared.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rumoured that Stephen Fry refuses to come on the show after the way the BBC treated Angus by getting rid of him.Up to that point Fry was always happy to take part in the show.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote:
    It annoys me that a lot of people just think of Angus as just turning up to HIGNFY on a Friday and reading the autocue. Anyone who's seen the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD will know that the host has the most work to put in during the week, and Ian Paul and the guests are the ones who just turn up on the day and do their thing. Angus has written, performed in comedy and serious roles before and after HIGNY, but never seems to get any credit for it. I've no idea if he was a bit of a diva behind the scenes, but I don't see as that's a reason to belittle his role in the show. I think the woeful guest hosts there's been since he departed has proved it's not as easy as Angus made it appeared.

I'm sure I can recall reading that money was one significant factor, with Deayton being payed much more than the captains. On the one hand you can see why that might be the case if as described above he had to do a lot more preparation and behind the scenes work on the show, but then you can also see where Merton and Hislop might get a little miffed at being paid less while expected to be just as or more funny with no, or very little, preparation.

One of my favourite episodes was where Merton anticipated Deaytons response to one of his surreal comments by saying "Turns to camera, raises eyebrow quizzically" even as Deayton was doing just that, Merton obviously exasperated that Deayton had few tricks at his disposal when events required him to go off script.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote:
    It's rumoured that Stephen Fry refuses to come on the show after the way the BBC treated Angus by getting rid of him.Up to that point Fry was always happy to take part in the show.

Yes, I heard that as well.

Angus' delivery was seamless. I thought he was very good & some of the guest presenters have proved that.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I heard was that Paul Merton took a dislike to Angus Deaton because he made a joke at the start of one edition of HIGNFY about shagging Paul's then wife Caroline Quentin. After that Paul took and instant dislike and then wehn Angus was caught taking drugs and having sex with the hooker that then broke the camel's back and Hislop then joined in and started to hate Angus as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micksea241 wrote:
    What I heard was that Paul Merton took a dislike to Angus Deaton because he made a joke at the start of one edition of HIGNFY about shagging Paul's then wife Caroline Quentin. After that Paul took and instant dislike and then wehn Angus was caught taking drugs and having sex with the hooker that then broke the camel's back and Hislop then joined in and started to hate Angus as well.

I took that incidence as a long running joke.
    Caroline Quentin was largely unknown to the general public in 1993, but once she'd been introduced, sitting alongside Hislop, as "Mrs Merton", a new element of plot developed, as well as a running gag. Deayton casually said that some guests may sleep with a captain to get on the show; this one had gone as far as marrying him. Introduction, applause and then the comeback - "Why did I have to sleep with you as well?" "Oh, it was just in the contract. But thank-you anyway." A nice exchange, real tension between guest and host, and no further mention during the show. But the innuendo of Merton's wife and the HIGNFY host having a liaison was brought up for humour purposes by Merton himself the following week (lots of "I'll give you one" non-gags afterwards) and it went on for quite some time, beyond Quentin's second and final appearance, this time with hubby, a year later.

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/comedy/hignfy1.htm
  • Options
    autumnautumn Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angus did do a lot more than just turn up and read autocue, and he was funny in a smug way. Also Merton and Hislop knew they had to 'gen' up on topical issues. I sometimes suspected that they had been tipped off. Paul Merton is one of the unfunniest men on tv, so no doubt he'll be there till he shuffles off. Angus was worth the money, HIGNFY is nothing now that he's gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the article below, Angus' downfall was, in part, down to Piers Morgan & 'The Mirror'
    ....it proved to tabloid types with a genuine axe to grind that it was possible to disturb the show's flow, groove and impact if it could dig up sufficient dirt on either the programme or one of its protagonists....The Daily Mirror wasn't the only paper to report that Deayton's job was under threat, but it was the most vociferous in its demand that the host should be fired forthwith. Piers Morgan's agenda was clear

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/comedy/hignfy3.htm

Just one view, I know, but interesting.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought Ian particularly disliked Angus, it always seemed like it was Paul who hated him. I'd probably put that down to a simple clash of personalities.

Also, they really need to bring Angus back. The quailty of the show since they went to guest presenters (with the odd exception such as Boris or Martin Clunes) has really gone downhill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Merton once slate him in an acceptance speech?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote:
    I never thought Ian particularly disliked Angus, it always seemed like it was Paul who hated him. I'd probably put that down to a simple clash of personalities.

Also, they really need to bring Angus back. The quailty of the show since they went to guest presenters (with the odd exception such as Boris or Martin Clunes) has really gone downhill.

That will never happen, sadly. I stopped watching after the Bruce Forsyth edition, though I did see the series of "Pot Noodle" gags. If Deayton came back now, Merton would still hate him and people would say "not as good as the first few series".

It might well be how QI began, when Stephen Fry went to do his own presenting duties.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    According to the article below, Angus' downfall was, in part, down to Piers Morgan & 'The Mirror'

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/comedy/hignfy3.htm

Just one view, I know, but interesting.

I totally agree with that. I think a lot of people, who are occasional viewers of the show, assume that Angus was sacked straight after the infamous show after the tabloid headlines. The thing often said is that Angus couldn't carry on because he wouldn't be able to make jokes about drugs, infidelity, etc... but it was a good bit after that they got rid of him, when one of the tabloids dragged up some other woman who'd said she'd had an affair with him. Not very nice for his partner, of course, but I don't think there was anything about drugs involved in this story, which was surely the more serious issue. I definitely think they wanted rid of him.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Harman wrote:
    Didn't Merton once slate him in an acceptance speech?

I'm pretty sure during the making of series 4 Paul Merton won a comedy award & Angus was in the same category.I seem to recall Paul winding up Angus in the show because he won the award & Angus didn't.
  • Options
    carllumblycarllumbly Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Angus couldn't be taken seriously after he became the subject of the news.

It wasn't possible for him to take the piss out of others caught out doing what he did.

If the BBC had not sacked him I dont think he would have stayed much longer.

However ,enough time has passed to at least give him a go as guest presenter.

I watched the series for 2 or 3 seasons after he went but it went from a definite Sky+ing each week to only watching if Boris was on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aliasjones wrote:
    Yes, I heard that as well.

Angus' delivery was seamless. I thought he was very good & some of the guest presenters have proved that.

Well, why wouldn't someone who did the job week in week out seem more polished than someone who did it for a week? I prefer it without the smugness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be nice if they let him return for the final ever show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul never hid his indifference to Angus in interviews. I don't think he hated him, he certainly hated how Angus was seen to "represent" the show. In interviews from virtually the begining of the series Paul claimed that he and Ian were what made it funny and Angus was "just there", doing an important and good job, but not as significant as the team captains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team53 wrote:
    it would be nice if they let him return for the final ever show.
    I don't think he would do it.