Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Passport Expiry question..pleassseee help!

Old 05-02-2007, 19:25
Corrianda

My lovely boyfriend has decided he wants to take me to Paris in march, BUT...my passport expires in June ...does anyone know the rules for travelling with a soon to expire passport please?

Thank you.x
Corrianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-02-2007, 19:28
skp20040
Forum Member

A British citizen can travel to France up until the expiry of their travel documents.

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/...id_article=460

And airlines etc require you to have a Passport that is valid for the duration of your trip, including the day you return.

Last edited by skp20040 : 05-02-2007 at 19:29.
skp20040 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
DinoAndana

Surely as long as it hasn't expired, and as long as it doesn't expire during your trip, it shouldn't matter.
Elliebee
Forum Member

As long as you come back before June you will be fine.
But dont forget to renew it so you can have more romantic getaways
Elliebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 19:34
AubreyStevens
Banned User

I believe for some countries you have to have at least six months left on your passport before you can enter.
AubreyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 19:35
stumblebum
Forum Member

Originally Posted by AubreyStevens
I believe for some countries you have to have at least six months left on your passport before you can enter.
Yes this is true - a friend has just fallen foul of this
stumblebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 19:45
RJS96

Originally Posted by stumblebum
Yes this is true - a friend has just fallen foul of this

I don't think France is one of them ... but check. Or send your pp off now to be renewed it doesnt have to have expired
Old 05-02-2007, 19:46
solitaire1
Forum Member

I've got to renew mine soon... £66!!! I couldn't believe it.. that much just for a renewel!!!
solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 20:20
sparkles.
Forum Member

I had the very same problem recently. The rule is that to travel in the EU you need to have three months remaining on your passport. You could risk it but I really didn't want to. Good news is that I managed to get mine renewed within five days with the Post Office check and send service (they say up to two weeks) cost me the £66 renewel fee plus £7 for the check and send. Off I go on Friday....
sparkles. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 20:22
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Cant you travel in the EU with just photo ID anyway and dont need a passport?
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 20:27
RJS96

Originally Posted by whoever,hey
No thats only the UK eg London to Edinburgh
Old 05-02-2007, 20:28
Saishoyw
Forum Member

Originally Posted by whoever,hey
This only applies between member states that are party to the Schengen Treaty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Treaty )

The UK and the Republic of Ireland are not parties to this treaty and so you still need your passport to travel into and back from other EU states.

Perversely there is no need for a passport for British and Irish citizens when travelling between their respective states.

In answer to the OP, you can travel to France and Germany provided your passport does not expire while you are there. This I know from personal experience.
Saishoyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 20:44
gomezz
Forum Member

You can renew up to nine months before expiry and have that time added to the new passport. You have left it tight to renew now though.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 21:01
Touché Rupert
Forum Member

Hello, a friend of mine had a similar problem only her passport runs out next week, and she went to France last week.

After a few calls to the british, and french embassy, it turns out as long as your passport is within date whilst you travel you are ok.

Renew it when you get back though !
Touché Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 19:14
PhilH36
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Saishoyw
This only applies between member states that are party to the Schengen Treaty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Treaty )

The UK and the Republic of Ireland are not parties to this treaty and so you still need your passport to travel into and back from other EU states.

Perversely there is no need for a passport for British and Irish citizens when travelling between their respective states.

In answer to the OP, you can travel to France and Germany provided your passport does not expire while you are there. This I know from personal experience.
When I came back from a weekend in Dublin a few years back as I came off the plane at Stansted I was stopped by an official and asked for my passport.
PhilH36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 23:07
Corrianda

Thank you all for the replies. We are now looking at next weekend (24th/25th) so i will def not have time to renew it..i hope those answers about it being ok for france are right, cos if so i will be soooo happy!
Old 13-02-2007, 13:02
Chili Con Carne
Forum Member

When I went to Cyprus this time last year, I had until August on my passport and they even questioned me about this (At Gatwick), they said did I know it was soon to run out.

Also in May of last year we sent of my passport with 4 weeks before I was due to go away (needed to renew and change my name on it) and we had problems with them, my passport only arrived the day before I left.

So advice never ever leave it at least 4 weeks before you travel to get your passport. We had to pay about £30 extra for it to even get here that quickly.
Chili Con Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 13:25
kraktoa
Banned User

EU law states that all EU citizens have the right to travel through member countries. To prove your citizenship you need a passport or Id card. By EU law an expired passport can still suffice. just because your passport has expired does not mean you stop being british. You wont believe this but everyday thousands of EU nationals travel to other EU countries on expired passports. A phone call from the airline to the immigration authorities usually is enough. yesterday i made the call to british immigration and they authorised the travel of a french national on an expired passport (off by 1.5 years). it happens daily and i am not joking. i make this type of call atleast once a day if not more and the answer is always yes.
kraktoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 16:16
Corrianda

Thank you..cos how gutted would i be if they said no!!!! lol...