Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Which shops do you refuse to step foot in?

Old 07-03-2007, 22:14
Mr Giggles
Inactive Member

Oh I have to laugh at Curry's, dvd players, once years ago they state the don't sell multi-region dvd players so I had a word with a couple of members of staff.

The members I spoke to confirmed they don't sell multi-region players but I managed to prove them wrong when I produced the hacks for the players they were selling.
Mr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-03-2007, 22:16
flicker
Forum Member

I will never shop in Asda again after they shot and killed a little pair of House Sparrows recently, because they couldn't be arsed to set proper humane traps and take advice from bird organisations to safely remove them from one of their stores.
flicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:20
Ads
Forum Member

Originally Posted by flicker
I will never shop in Asda again after they shot and killed a little pair of House Sparrows recently, because they couldn't be arsed to set proper humane traps and take advice from bird organisations to safely remove them from one of their stores.
The Sparrows probably ended up being labelled small chickens, and got put in the store's frozen meats section
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:21
anniesou
Forum Member

I remember a branch of Wyevales Garden Centres did something similar a couple of years ago. A robin had nested in their tea room. They said they would lose money if they closed the tea room until the fledglings had flown. It was against Health and Safety regs to leave them where people were eating. So they had the birds killed.
anniesou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:27
charlie1
Forum Member

Poor things!

I've just looked up info about the birds and apparently it's not illegal to shoot them.

I read about 1 woman who traps them and cuts off their heads using a sharp pair of scissors.

She did try another method where she put them in bags and tied them to the exhaust pipe on her car, but that's wasn't an efficient method for her.
charlie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:35
Grand Dizzy
Forum Member

I won't shop at ASDA because of the subliminal advertising and child exploitation.

I generally avoid any shop with loudspeaker advertising, although it's not as bad if you can clearly hear what they're saying. (I have to stop and listen.) Some shops though (like ASDA) play it too quiet to consciously hear, ie subliminally. No way I'm going anywhere near that and being brainwashed into buying their crap!

Last edited by Grand Dizzy : 07-03-2007 at 22:37.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:38
Zack
Forum Member

Womans shops, even with my gf i would stay outside lol

oh and burger king, horrible
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:46
Smeggypants
Banned User

Originally Posted by Eternal Life
PC World as I dont like the staff that shop there and prices..
I couldn't agree more. The prices are horrendous
Smeggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:51
Dan Sette
Forum Member

I'm with the original poster.

ASDA. Awful awful place.

I've only been in one, but that was enough. I felt like I'd walked onto the set of "Deliverance". I expected to see a toothless banjo player at the end of each aisle.

Do they bus the customers in specially?

Dan
Dan Sette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:57
charlie1
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Dan Sette
I'm with the original poster.

ASDA. Awful awful place.

I've only been in one, but that was enough. I felt like I'd walked onto the set of "Deliverance". I expected to see a toothless banjo player at the end of each aisle.

Do they bus the customers in specially?

Dan
Despite what Flicker mentioned earlier, I do think that the staff in Asda are one of the friendliest out of all the supermarkets.

But as for some of the customers!
charlie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:58
Sprogg
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Radiomaniac
I manage to buy all I need at prices as low or lower than Tesco and I don't need their pathetic 'every little helps' rubbish. Read Welsh-lad's post for verifying exactly my point about them taking over.
I wasn't being sarcastic. If you look through my posts you will see that I can't bear Tesco. A hideous company.
Sprogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:00
Cstar2229
Forum Member

Vision Express. The one in the Gyle Edinburgh didn't last long. They were OK to start with then the staff got really rude. I wrote a very strong letter to their HO.
Cstar2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:08
habby
Forum Member

I once made the mistake of going in Phones 4 U to buy a phone. They have lots of tables at the back of their shops where you get interrogated in why you want the phone & they want loads of other details. I must have been in there for about 20 mins

And as soon as you walk in their shops you get pounced on by the staff straight away as theyre hanging around by the entrance all the time.

I'll stick to Carphone Warehouse
habby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:17
Eater Sundae
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Radiomaniac
I'm not in the least bit snobbish about any store or shop. I shop anywhere from Fortnum and Mason to Lidl and everywhere in between.

But, I absolutely refuse to shop in Tesco as they are intent on taking over the world and closing down every individual shop. One day, all there will be to shop in will be Tesco.
Reminds me of a cartoon in Private Eye, a couple of months ago, of a car passing a sign at the side of the road "Last Tesco for 400 yards".

They took over a local petrol station a couple of years ago and opened one of their small supermarkets. The local newsagent has since closed, and another local corner shop is clearly struggling. Although to be fair Tesco sells a much wider range, and were originally well priced.

I've noticed that over the last 5 or 6 months, the prices have steadily risen, esp for wine, and fruit and veg. They've also gone over to selling more expensive "value added" small pre-prepared packs of vegetables, and less and less cheap loose vegetables. Also, you can now only buy small packets of other products, which are more expensive.
Eater Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:19
donlothario
Inactive Member

Some people on here are sad, sorry, snobs with their heads so firmly inserted in their nether regions that it is a wonder they can actually see what town they are in, let alone what shop!
donlothario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:20
001_ATLANTIS
Forum Member

I might be totally wrong but I have this mental ranking of the various supermarkets. It doesn't stop me shopping in any of them though.

Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!
Morrisons - Ditto
Tesco - For the masses
Sainsbury's - Bit posher
Waitrose - For the toffs!
001_ATLANTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:21
RH Freeview

Lush and any other store that smells of sh*t.
Old 07-03-2007, 23:23
Dan Sette
Forum Member

Originally Posted by 001_ATLANTIS
Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!
Burberry by George.
Dan Sette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:28
SULLA
Forum Member

Originally Posted by c0lefax
i.e. Beaties?
No Beatties is OK

I am also boycotting Comet because they are taking over 2 weeks to get my fridge freezer sorted
SULLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:30
ForestChav
Forum Member

Originally Posted by pault2006
I used to think PC World was good - until I got the Internet!

Have you seen the 'Brown-box' range?

No instructions or bubble-wrap inside.
I like them. My latest HDD came from there, dirt cheap. No real boxes or manuals or anything, but I resent paying for that with components, because I build PCs!

Originally Posted by Ads
Dixons (now called Curry Digital) - the world's most clueless shop staff. Do they actually train their staff on what they are selling?
No, they train them to sell, that's their job.

Plus if they had to train them on the products, they'd spend more time in the classroom than on the shop floor.

Knowing a bit about everything is better than knowing about a short range of products on sale especially in a store like Currys who sell washing machines, AV equipment, Hifi, TV, PCs etc etc.
ForestChav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:30
ForestChav
Forum Member

Originally Posted by 001_ATLANTIS
I might be totally wrong but I have this mental ranking of the various supermarkets. It doesn't stop me shopping in any of them though.

Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!
Morrisons - Ditto
Tesco - For the masses
Sainsbury's - Bit posher
Waitrose - For the toffs!
Morrisons is not chavy. It's good value for money and to be honest, the Morrisons own brand stuff is better than Tesco. Waitrose rules though, but there's too many chavs in Nottm to have one!
Old 07-03-2007, 23:31
ScottishWoody
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Sayhey
Sainsbury's - Some staff and customers are a bit snobish for my liking.

Music Zone - One of there staff made a bitchy comment about my taste in music, advised him that I was there to make a purchase not for his opinion. I believe they have gone under.
Hey!
ScottishWoody is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:34
CHUTNEY
Banned User

Originally Posted by SULLA
No Beatties is OK

I am also boycotting Comet because they are taking over 2 weeks to get my fridge freezer sorted
More fool you for going there in the first place.
(My tv from Comet is A1........... )
CHUTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:34
RH Freeview

Originally Posted by ForestChav
Morrisons is not chavy. It's good value for money and to be honest, the Morrisons own brand stuff is better than Tesco. Waitrose rules though, but there's too many chavs in Nottm to have one!
Agreed. I always shop at Morrisons.
Old 07-03-2007, 23:35
ForestChav
Forum Member

Originally Posted by CHUTNEY
More fool you for going there in the first place.
(My tv from Comet is A1........... )
That kind of thing isn't the store's fault though, they can't be responsible for defects caused by the manufacturer. They're meant to resolve it, but that's different, and in any case they will just refer it to the manufacturer anyway.

Few retailers have the methods to repair goods themselves.