Options

plasma tv damaged

i have a 42" plasma tv which is 13 month and last night the kids were messing and toy fighting and the one push the other and knocked my prized telly over.

i could of killed them but came to my senses.

well the screen will not come on any more

would i have any trouble claiming off my house insurane

anyone done this

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daz_f wrote:
    i have a 42" plasma tv which is 13 month and last night the kids were messing and toy fighting and the one push the other and knocked my prized telly over.

i could of killed them but came to my senses.

well the screen will not come on any more

would i have any trouble claiming off my house insurane

anyone done this

if u have accidental damage u will be ok,
    what insurer are you with
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Good god, flames must have been coming outta yer ears..!!!!
  • Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    i am insured with norwich union
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daz_f wrote:
    i am insured with norwich union

just let them know, they will ask you what happened over the phone, they may send someone out to take a picture of the damage, depends on the value of the claim.

they will then send you a cheque minus the xs(usually £60 on home insurance)

what they may do is try and repair first of all, but prob no chance at all with that.

you should have anew telly within a week
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,582
    Forum Member
    They normally ask for a written engineers report (I do a lot of these for insurance claims) - as with most companies we charge for this, but will credit it against a new set.

Be aware that the insurance will probably try and supply you a set direct - if so be careful over what you accept, they will often try and supply you a cheaper set than the damaged one - also confirm the warranty details on the set, often the insurance will provide the set with no warranty, and get a discount for that.
  • Options
    cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but my 42"plasma screen was pulled off of it's stand last week & i am currently going through a contents claim with L & G. I have a question which is, i have someone coming to look at it on Thursday & was wondering what happens with the tv ?. Do the insurers get someone to take it away as i'm pretty sure they won't be able to repair it.

The screen is cracked all away across the screen & the front panel also has a 2"scratch on it.

Many thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cockney wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but my 42"plasma screen was pulled off of it's stand last week & i am currently going through a contents claim with L & G. I have a question which is, i have someone coming to look at it on Thursday & was wondering what happens with the tv ?. Do the insurers get someone to take it away as i'm pretty sure they won't be able to repair it.

The screen is cracked all away across the screen & the front panel also has a 2"scratch on it.

It depends who is coming?, he may examine it in the house, or take it away for examination - assuming the insurance company pay the claim, the old TV becomes their property, and they 'may' want to take it away anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well 2 men came yesterday & just took it away, i did confirm with the insurance company that these people were genuine though. Just a waiting game now :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

The insurers inspection company took my TV away on 21st August so i rang them yesterday (11 days later) & they said that the engineer was still inspecting it, does it really take 11 days to inspect a screen that is totally smashed & that also has no power ?.

So it has got me wondering whether they could repair it ?

Is this possible to do on a TV that in all reallity is worth around £600 ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they will replace the panel - however this is usually around the same cost as a new tv so they will probably give you money to the value of a new tv of same/similer specs

Question though - Why isnt it on the wall where it cant be knocked over by kids?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point & i am seriously thinking about that, should find out tomorrow what's gonna happen :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UPDATE:

The insurers inspection company took my TV away on 21st August so i rang them yesterday (11 days later) & they said that the engineer was still inspecting it, does it really take 11 days to inspect a screen that is totally smashed & that also has no power ?.

No, it might take half an hour (if the decide to take the back off), but if the screen was obviously smashed (I've seen plenty that have been) I wouldn't even bother doing that as you're just wasting your time.

So it has got me wondering whether they could repair it ?

As suggested, it depends on the price of a replacement panel, and what the insurance value the set at - normally they depreciate the set at 10% per year for insurance purposes. However, if the price of new equivilent models has dropped far faster, they may use that as the value instead.

We've just had an insurance company pay out £777 for replacing the LCD panel in a smashed Sony KDL40W2000, about 11 months old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the insurance company called today & said that they were not going to approve the claim as the inspection people said that there was a fault with the power unit so it wasn't working at the time it crashed to the floor. My wife then stated that my son was playing a game on it at the time so it was working so the insurance company then called back the inspection company who apparently couldn't categorically say 100% that there was a fault so we have now had the claim approved. Apparently Empire direct will now call us to offer us another TV but can you upgrade as such by asking for something different & paying the difference ?

Many thanks for all your help with replies,

Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a call from Empire this morning & they offered an LG 42" replacement plasma. I enquired about upgrading for a Samsung said that they could do a Samsung PS50A457P1D but i would have to pay £13 extra to do this.

Needless to say i did this & it's being delivered Tuesday :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got a call from Empire this morning & they offered an LG 42" replacement plasma. I enquired about upgrading for a Samsung said that they could do a Samsung PS50A457P1D but i would have to pay £13 extra to do this.

What make was your original one?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a Philips 42PF5521D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a Philips 42PF5521D

So at least by offering an LG they were replacing with a known brand, of a probable similar quality. We've had occasions in the past where they try to replace a Sony or Panasonic with a Bush or something else cheap and nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having never claimed on insurance before do you still get a warranty with the new unit & is it a new unit you get ?

Many thanks for all your replies,

Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having never claimed on insurance before do you still get a warranty with the new unit & is it a new unit you get ?

It depends on the supplier, and their deal with the insurance company - sets we supply for insurance come with the normal manufacturers guarantee via ourselves. However, some insurance companies screw a lower price from the supplier by 'buying out' the guarantee, and supplying the set with no guarantee. You also have the problem of usually having no proof of date of sale for warranty proof.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the supplier, and their deal with the insurance company - sets we supply for insurance come with the normal manufacturers guarantee via ourselves. However, some insurance companies screw a lower price from the supplier by 'buying out' the guarantee, and supplying the set with no guarantee. You also have the problem of usually having no proof of date of sale for warranty proof.

Thanks again Nigel
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will really appreciate the jump from 42" to 50". Enjoy your new TV, and don't forget the wall brackets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    You will really appreciate the jump from 42" to 50". Enjoy your new TV, and don't forget the wall brackets

I won't, cheers matty :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

Had the replacement TV just over 2 months & the picture has a problem, do i contact Empire commercial who delivered on behalf of L &G or do i contact L & G ?

Nigel was right about the lack of paperwork & warranty as i have none of these :(