Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

KALMS- Do they work fr you?

Old 26-03-2007, 21:02
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

Following on from another thread, do these tablets work??
sgt.cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-03-2007, 21:12
Silas Marner

Originally Posted by sgt.cryer
KALMS- Do they work fr you?

For very mild anxiety they are quite good.
Bachs Rescue Remedy is also good. I think the cost would be similar to a bottle of Kalms.
Old 26-03-2007, 21:12
pault2006
Banned User

I'm a 27 year-old man and I was taking Kalms for about two months six months ago.

I was getting anxious about going to work meetings etc (I think it was a formalness of them) or going to busy places like a pub or bar.

I think the Kalms helped psychologically. I was thinking, "I'm not going to have a panic attack and faint because I've taken these tablets and they help".

About two months, we had a whole day of workshops at work (sitting in a room with lots of people and listening to talks) and I managed to go to all the workshops.
pault2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 21:14
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

Originally Posted by pault2006
I'm a 27 year-old man and I was taking Kalms for about two months six months ago.

I was getting anxious about going to work meetings etc (I think it was a formalness of them) or going to busy places like a pub or bar.

I think the Kalms helped psychologically. I was thinking, "I'm not going to have a panic attack and faint because I've taken these tablets and they help".

About two months, we had a whole day of workshops at work (sitting in a room with lots of people and listening to talks) and I managed to go to all the workshops.
See, im 25 and pretty much in the same situation! Althogh im always tired as well and apparently they help that as well. I've only started taking them tis evening.
Old 26-03-2007, 21:16
pault2006
Banned User

If you're really anxious, maybe it'll be a good idea to go to the doctor (they can give you things like beta-blockers or teach you how to deal with panic attacks).

Do you know why you're on edge or having trouble sleeping?
pault2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 21:17
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

Originally Posted by pault2006
If you're really anxious, maybe it'll be a good idea to go to the doctor (they can give you things like beta-blockers or teach you how to deal with panic attacks).

Do you know why you're on edge or having trouble sleeping?

According to the ever helpfull doctor, i'm just stressed
Old 26-03-2007, 21:29
sean_brom
Forum Member

I am very scared of flying and it was suggested i used these. Personally i think they are a waste of time. I was happier when i went to the doctor and he gave me diasapan.
sean_brom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 21:30
jen0607
Forum Member

I found they didn't work for me, but I have friends that swear by them.
jen0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:00
jaffered
Forum Member

I have took the night time Kalms, beause i used to worry alot before i went to bed and found it so hard to sleep. they worked quite well, it was either that or sleeping tablets and i didnt want to be knocked out every night.
I guess there worth a try and have different effects on people.
jaffered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:24
louisa320
Forum Member

Not for me they didn't!
louisa320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:28
AcerBen
Forum Member

I don't think that anyone has ever proven that things like this work. I used to take Rescue Remedy all the time but I realised I was wasting my money. It's just placebo IMHO.
AcerBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:35
louisa320
Forum Member

Originally Posted by AcerBen
I don't think that anyone has ever proven that things like this work. I used to take Rescue Remedy all the time but I realised I was wasting my money. It's just placebo IMHO.
You're probably right......I think it's placebo too!
louisa320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:37
ludovica
Forum Member

I think they (KALMS) are amazing. They ABSOLUTELY do work!!
I havent needed any for quite a long time but they seriously do make a definite difference if you are prone to anxiety and panic attacks
ludovica is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 22:55
Beth Hart
Forum Member

Originally Posted by AcerBen
An effective one then, it was all I needed to see me through 3 labours and births - labour hurts much less when relaxed.
Beth Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:54
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

Originally Posted by ludovica
I think they (KALMS) are amazing. They ABSOLUTELY do work!!
I havent needed any for quite a long time but they seriously do make a definite difference if you are prone to anxiety and panic attacks
how long did it take for them to work for you. I've had 4 so far (2 last night and 2 this morning) and managed to get as far as the work car park before coming home. Yesterday, i didnt get out of bed until quite late.

Last edited by sgt.cryer : 27-03-2007 at 09:59.
Old 27-03-2007, 09:56
Mr. X
Banned User

What are they? Is it something similar to St. John's Wort that you get from wholefood shops (like that one in Chorlton where they always want to argue about football when you go in ), or do you get it from the pharmacy?
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:57
sinkingradio
Forum Member

They worked for me. I had tried quite a few other things before Kalms too and Kalms were the only thing that made a difference.
sinkingradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 10:10
Silas Marner

how long did it take for them to work for you. I've had 4 so far (2 last night and 2 this morning) and managed to get as far as the work car park before coming home. Yesterday, i didnt get out of bed until quite late.
They should have an immediate affect and the fact that you made it as far as your works car park when yesterday you didn't get out of bed says they must have helped you somewhat.

Have you considered visiting your GP to discuss your anxiety issues and see if they can recommend anything to help you, such relaxation classes.
Old 27-03-2007, 10:12
ludovica
Forum Member

I found they worked for me within just a couple of hours
Old 27-03-2007, 10:13
ludovica
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Stockport Road
What are they? Is it something similar to St. John's Wort that you get from wholefood shops (like that one in Chorlton where they always want to argue about football when you go in ), or do you get it from the pharmacy?
I *think* the active ingredient is based on a plant called Gentian.. but I cant remember tbh
Old 27-03-2007, 10:16
Mr. X
Banned User

I have dreadful trouble with feeling anxious and panicky; when I wake up in the morning I get this god-awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm not sure why, mind -- there's nothing particularly bad in my life at present, not even a looming essay deadline! (I've got a month.)

I feel really shaky right now for no apparent reason. Do you think this'd help? If I knew what sort of shop sold them, I'd dodge off for a bit and get some to try
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 10:20
Cstar2229
Forum Member

You can get them in the larger supermarkets too
Cstar2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 10:21
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

I have dreadful trouble with feeling anxious and panicky; when I wake up in the morning I get this god-awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm not sure why, mind -- there's nothing particularly bad in my life at present, not even a looming essay deadline! (I've got a month.)

I feel really shaky right now for no apparent reason. Do you think this'd help? If I knew what sort of shop sold them, I'd dodge off for a bit and get some to try
Sainsburys! 3.99.

I'm going to stick with them and hope tomorrow i make it further than the car park.

Im not sure why i have the feelngs either!
Old 27-03-2007, 10:22
ludovica
Forum Member

Yes I do think they could help. Your symptoms sound very familiar to me...Most regular pharmacies stock Kalms (a day version and a night version) straight off the shelf. They are about 7 quid for a big bottle but there are lots in it. Read the directions (obviously) but I really dont think you can go far wrong with them. I dont know of any chemists near me that dont stock them
I only ever take them now before going to the dentist, but I would take them before any stressful situation

edit: the price I quoted is obviously from somewhere with a rip-off mark up! compared to Sainsbury's anyway!

Last edited by ludovica : 27-03-2007 at 10:25.
Old 27-03-2007, 10:42
sgt.cryer
Inactive Member

The 3.99 is for the bottle of 100.

Although my sleep wasnt much improved with the tablets, it was better than the previous nights