Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The one only thing i hate about DVD

Old 23-05-2000, 17:14
Nikhil
Forum Member

Yes, it is the compulsory advert watching that is now occuring on the latest DVD's especially the indian ones! There is no way to get out of them, i don't mind seeing it once but then every time you want to access the disc you have to wait 2 mins until you get anywhere. I don't mind the compulsory thing being used for the FBI warning thing (R1) etc but not for adverts. At least with videos you could fast forward, with DVD you can do nothing!!
Apart from this one niggle, DVD is excellent and when it becomes recordable it will be revolutionary, video watch out!!
What does everyone else think.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-05-2000, 07:42
brassd
Forum Member

Tarzan R1 has the adverts on the front but you can get rid of them quite quickly by pressing the chapter forward button on the remote. I think there will only be more of this type of shenanigans.

Dave
brassd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2000, 16:11
Nikhil
Forum Member

On some dvd's you can bypass these adverts, e.g. the chapter next button or by stopping the dvd, then pressing dvd menu. But the ones i don't like are the ones that prohibit you from touching anything and insist on you watching the advert time and time again.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2000, 07:53
brassd
Forum Member

Thankfully I haven't come across one yet!
Old 25-05-2000, 22:37
orbv
Forum Member

My DVD player will not let me skip the FBI warnings or some trailers (like on Tarzan).

What makes me even more mad is a month after I splashed the cash of my player from Techtronics, they introduced a new mod that enables you to skip these intro's.
orbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2000, 07:39
brassd
Forum Member

I guess I missed out on that too! Bugger.

Old 13-01-2013, 20:56
maryjofoley
Inactive Member

I've found that if I play a DVD on my computer via Windows Media Player on Windows 7, (it let me do it on Windows Vista too), most of the time, it lets me skip through the piracy warnings and trailers without the need for any hacks!
maryjofoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 22:27
mac2708
Forum Member

Well, here's the answer to the unskippable trailers etc
http://colinseymour.co.uk/why-pirated-dvds-are-better
mac2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 23:13
Schadenfreud

Well, here's the answer to the unskippable trailers etc
http://colinseymour.co.uk/why-pirated-dvds-are-better
I was saying pretty much the same thing to my wife yesterday.

I got the Bluray boxed set of Band of Brother as a Christmas present, and we've been watching it over the last few days. (Still fantastic at the second watching btw).

Being forced to sit through 2+ minutes of pirate warnings in three different languages has stopped me buying any more boxed sets.
I'll just download them and store them on my Nas in future.
Schadenfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:46
ironjade
Forum Member

Buying discs. How quaint.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 10:01
chrisjr
Forum Member

Buying discs. How quaint.
Be far things have changed quite a bit in the twelve and a half years since this thread was posted.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 10:56
howard h
Forum Member

Are they still at it twelve years later...filling DVD's with ads, pirate warnings (boy, that got them a long way...)??

Never bought a DVD, and don't intend to - certainly if it's full of that garbage.
howard h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 12:02
chrisjr
Forum Member

Are they still at it twelve years later...filling DVD's with ads, pirate warnings (boy, that got them a long way...)??

Never bought a DVD, and don't intend to - certainly if it's full of that garbage.
Not bought a DVD for a while, upgraded to Blu-Ray.

But none of the Blu-Ray disks I've got stop you skiping any of the rubbish that might be at the start of the disk. And as far as I recall only seen one disk with an FBI anti-piracy warning (for all of about half a second before I hit the skip button )
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:12
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

Shock Horror! a new member replies to a 12 year old thread. Welcome to DigitalSpy

Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:13
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

I was saying pretty much the same thing to my wife yesterday.

I got the Bluray boxed set of Band of Brother as a Christmas present, and we've been watching it over the last few days. (Still fantastic at the second watching btw).

Being forced to sit through 2+ minutes of pirate warnings in three different languages has stopped me buying any more boxed sets.
I'll just download them and store them on my Nas in future.
yeah it's the one thing that totally ruins that boxset.... havine those damned warnings in several languages forced onscreen for what seems like eternity. Excellent series though.
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 20:14
mooghead
Forum Member

Its disgraceful that DVD's that have been bought retail have these unskippable ads. Fair enough if its a (or an ex) rental. But this disc has been bought fair and square, hence no need for the ads or even the copyright nonsense.

We have paid to watch adverts?

Do the opposite and boycott the things you are forced to sit through.
mooghead is offline   Reply With Quote