Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pregnancy test confusion

Old 18-04-2007, 20:21
The Markster
Forum Member

Hi
I am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers here. My girlfriend has developed symptoms of pregnancy, so she took a test that she bought from asda.

If it was a positive result, apparently there would be a vertical line in both boxes on the stick, and only in one if it was negative. What is confusing is that the line which is meant to appear in the window for a positive text came out horizontal instead of vertical.

This happened on 2 tests. Does anyone know what this means?
The Markster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:22
fluffybunyip
Forum Member

Originally Posted by The Markster
Hi
I am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers here. My girlfriend has developed symptoms of pregnancy, so she took a test that she bought from asda.

If it was a positive result, apparently there would be a vertical line in both boxes on the stick, and only in one if it was negative. What is confusing is that the line which is meant to appear in the window for a positive text came out horizontal instead of vertical.

This happened on 2 tests. Does anyone know what this means?
Hmm.. .that IS odd. Perhaps they put the testing strip in the wrong way round? Either way, worth another test I'd say.
fluffybunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 20:25
The Markster
Forum Member

it is odd. both tests came from different batches. she messed up the first one, the second came back with the line the wrong way. she took another which was negative, and still not convinced we took another and the line re-appeared.

however she been to her doc and her doc said she sounds pregnant through what she has told her, and she has given the doctor a sample, so we get to know soon.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:28
newwoman

I'd recommend buying one of those digital tests where the result actually says the words pregnant or not pregnant. There is definitely no doubt then.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:29
fluffybunyip
Forum Member

Originally Posted by newwoman
I'd recommend buying one of those digital tests where the result actually says the words pregnant or not pregnant. There is definitely no doubt then.
Yes, that's great advice! I've always squinted at my tests imagining lines but these are probably the best.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:43
snowstorms

apparently there would be a vertical line in both boxes on the stick, and only in one if it was negative. What is confusing is that the line which is meant to appear in the window for a positive text came out horizontal instead of vertical
I hate to ask this, and don't wish to make you or me look daft but, you are holding it the right way up aren't you?

Last edited by kittycate : 18-04-2007 at 20:46.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:49
ItsMyLife
Forum Member

Hi Markster
If 2 lines are appearing I'd imagine it is positive. The 3rd one could have been nagative if she done it wrong again (done that myself).
The most sensible thing to do would be buy a different test like a clear blue brand or predictor. You don't need a digital one, some of them can be done by peeing into a cup and dipping them. Much easier than holding in the right position for so many seconds as the timing is so precise on some of them.
Good luck, I hope you get the result you both want.
ItsMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 21:25
Plum Bob
Forum Member

I had to go to the doctors to get a test as all mine came out negative.

It's possible to get a false negative but never a false positive.

Good luck!
Plum Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 22:04
The Markster
Forum Member

Originally Posted by kittycate
I hate to ask this, and don't wish to make you or me look daft but, you are holding it the right way up aren't you?
ha ha yeah im sure she was holding it right way up. the line in one window was vertical as stated on box, but the line in the other window (the one which would only show if it was positive) was horizontal instead of vertical
Old 18-04-2007, 22:17
The Markster
Forum Member

Originally Posted by ItsMyLife
Hi Markster
If 2 lines are appearing I'd imagine it is positive. The 3rd one could have been nagative if she done it wrong again (done that myself).
The most sensible thing to do would be buy a different test like a clear blue brand or predictor. You don't need a digital one, some of them can be done by peeing into a cup and dipping them. Much easier than holding in the right position for so many seconds as the timing is so precise on some of them.
Good luck, I hope you get the result you both want.
thanks.

she has been to docs and we find the result 2moro i think.

i brought the subject up a few weeks ago about what we would do if she fell pregnant and we both said we prob wouldnt manage and it would be abortion or adoption, but after this incident making us have a good think we both would love a junior.

i got me fingers crossed
Old 18-04-2007, 22:39
snowstorms

ha ha yeah im sure she was holding it right way up. the line in one window was vertical as stated on box, but the line in the other window (the one which would only show if it was positive) was horizontal instead of vertical
Lol, thought I'd just check
Old 19-04-2007, 01:05
princesskate
Forum Member

Those digital tests are the best thing to be invented for Soap Opera writers! Previously there would have to be a friend with them 'Okay, one stripe is pregnant' etc!
princesskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 01:07
fluffybunyip
Forum Member

Originally Posted by princesskate
Those digital tests are the best thing to be invented for Soap Opera writers! Previously there would have to be a friend with them 'Okay, one stripe is pregnant' etc!
Lol, the best thing or the death of such a nail-biting scene?
Old 19-04-2007, 08:43
crdallig
Forum Member

thanks.

i brought the subject up a few weeks ago about what we would do if she fell pregnant and we both said we prob wouldnt manage and it would be abortion or adoption, but after this incident making us have a good think we both would love a junior.

i got me fingers crossed
It is funny that isn't it. My partner and I both agree that we are not yet in a situation where we could plan to try for kids. However we both said if it happened by accident after the initial shock we would both be overjoyed!
crdallig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 08:53
katclarkeukkK
Forum Member

It was probably just a water mark
katclarkeukkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 09:40
kyresa
Forum Member

Originally Posted by fluffybunyip
Yes, that's great advice! I've always squinted at my tests imagining lines but these are probably the best.

Hahaha.. I've Sooooooooo been there !!
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 10:00
AS1

Which test was it?
Old 19-04-2007, 11:05
ItsMyLife
Forum Member

thanks.

i got me fingers crossed
I'm crossing mine for you as well then.
There is never a perfect time for most people, but everything else seems like nonsense when it does happen. You won't be long figuring out what's what.

Let us know.
ItsMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 11:11
jessica~rabbit
Forum Member

thanks.

i got me fingers crossed
our first wasnt a planned pregnancy - a very planned for baby, once we found out (16 weeks in ), but not a planned pregnancy.

whatever the outcome, the best of luck and love to you both
jessica~rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 08:27
crdallig
Forum Member

come on dont leave us hanging OP. Did you get the results?
crdallig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 08:55
natalie*
Forum Member

Yes we are all in suspence!!! come on!!
natalie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:14
jessica~rabbit
Forum Member

Originally Posted by natalie*
Yes we are all in suspence!!! come on!!
i read that as suspenders

sorry

maybe its a result that didnt make op and his oh very happy ... in which case, im sure he'll come back in his own time.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:16
natalie*
Forum Member

lol!!! (dont even know if ive spelt it right!! im so crap with spelling!!!

You may have hit the nail on the head with that!!! we will just sit here and keep an eye on it ...........................................(0) (0) (there my eyes if anyone was wondering!!) lol

Last edited by natalie* : 20-04-2007 at 11:17.
natalie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:23
quinie
Forum Member

.......Is she or isn't she?
quinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 14:48
jessica~rabbit
Forum Member

shameless bump ...