Options

Pregnancy Heartburn - Help!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

i am 40 wks pregnant and due to give birth any day now. I'm feeling fine in general but i have terrible heartburn all day and it gets even worse at night to the point that i cant sleep at all.

I have tried all the advice - no spicy food, no caffeine, sit upright to eat, dont lie down for hours after eating etc but nothing helps at all.

I drink Gaviscon by the bucket load, chew remegel etc and these help for about 5mins until the burning comes back. Milk has no effect, yoghurt and ice cream do not help either.

Does anyone out there know of any other remedy i can try? Already i am dreading going to bed knowing i will be propped up on pillows, unable to sleep and having a sore neck by morning!!

Help!

Comments

• Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I suffer from acid reflux so I really sympathise with you despite not being pregnant!

I have omaprozole on prescription but its' nearest over the counter substitute is zantac.

Iced water helps me and sleeping on my side. I knoew the triggers too and avoid them- red peppers, brown bread, pastry etc.

Good luck honey!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    Oh - every suggestion I'd have had it looks like you've tried :(

The only thing I can say is - at worst it'll be another two weeks though I know it feels like forever at that point. Has your bump dropped yet? If not, then that may relieve some of the symptoms when it alleviates the pressure - if nothing else it always made me feel better to know I was that bit nearer to launch day :)

Good luck - and make sure you nap during the day to catch up on the sleep you're missing at night. Even if it's sitting upright in a chair with your feet on a stool :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you poor thing i suffered terribly with heartburn when i was pregnant. But congrats it is worth it in the end.

I use to sip milk but after a while it stopped working. Have you tried settlers tums. They were the only thing that worked for me but it had to be the fruity ones the minty ones were yack. If the baby has not yet dropped then you will probably notice the heartburn will calm down when baby does.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the baby has dropped and i was 1/5 engaged last time i went but it seems the heartburn has got worse!!

I cant complain too much - the first two trimesters were a breeze and i have never suffered from heartburn before and i know some people suffer all the time from it. I guess i just have to hope baby is born soon and it will go away!!

Thanks for the advice guys!!
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaviscon worked for me so I can't really offer any advice, just my sympathies. :(

You can get neck support pillows. Not sure if that'd help, but maybe worth a try.

Try lots of long walks*, sex & prune juice to get baby moving along!!! :D

* I found window shopping for all those nice post pregnancy clothes the best form of exercise :D
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    jude1979 wrote:
    Already i am dreading going to bed knowing i will be propped up on pillows, unable to sleep and having a sore neck by morning!!

Help!

Rather than having a lot of pillows to prop you up, have you considered propping the actual bed up at one end? It will probably be trial and error getting the right things to use. Start with phone books and work your way up to bricks. :D Try not to go too high though, or you might find yourself playing slides all night. :D

You have my sympathy, as I suffered dreadful heartburn during my pregnancies. My mum told me that the more heartburn, the more hair the baby has. Probably not even a hint of truth in it, but I did actually have babies with mops of hair. :D
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres no truth in the lots of hair and heartburn myth :D

I'm a student midwife and one of the remedies we've been told to recommend (apart from some of those you've tried) is watermelon.

Hope something works for you. Not long to go now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was told the story of heartburn and baby hair!! I will be able to plait it the moment she's born i think!!

Havent heard of watermelon so may give that a go today.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I suffered terribly with all three of mine with it getting progressively worse with each pregnancy so I really empathise...poor you. Bizarrely slightly flat diet cola helped me or cola watered down a bit, sounds awful I know but I was desperate and tried anything cos nothing was worse than the symptoms themselves! All my babies have had very full heads of hair at birth but I am sure that it is just an old wives tale. Good luck with the reflux and birth etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I had terrible heatburn with all 3 of my babies and they came out bald !! Bowls of Frosties helped me a little though!
    Good luck with the baby, let us know how you do!! :)