Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Free HD channels

Old 01-05-2007, 12:27
slysi
Forum Member

I'm currently paying 10 for a Sky+ subscription and freesat.

I have been offered a cheap HD Sky box from a friend. Would I be able to watch any HD channels (i.e. BBCHD) without increasing my monthly subsciption.
slysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32
slacker17
Forum Member

BBC only AFAIK (on astra 2 at least)
slacker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:48
vinnie
Forum Member

if you already pay the sky+ 10 then the HD wont cost any more and you will get all the HD channels except Movies & Sport unless you subscribe to the Movies & Sports packs.
vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54
Blake Connolly
Forum Member

Originally Posted by vinnie
if you already pay the sky+ 10 then the HD wont cost any more and you will get all the HD channels except Movies & Sport unless you subscribe to the Movies & Sports packs.
That's only the case if the person subscribes to any of the mixes, and as they say, they have freesat. So it is only BBC HD you'll get.

If the OP is prepared to pay an extra 15 a month for two mixes, you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick, with the 10 a month already paid for Sky+ being the HD sub which includes the Sky+ features.
Blake Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 22:08
cocks3
Forum Member

Hi, when you say "you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick" am i right in thinking you are saying that i would get sky one HD even if i did not pick the entertainment mix? Or Discovery HD even if i don't take the knowledge mix as i have paid the tenner HD subs?

I did not know that!
cocks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 23:04
poppasmurf
Forum Member

Originally Posted by cocks3
Hi, when you say "you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick" am i right in thinking you are saying that i would get sky one HD even if i did not pick the entertainment mix? Or Discovery HD even if i don't take the knowledge mix as i have paid the tenner HD subs?

I did not know that!
Sorry, but no you won't.
poppasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51
firestarter.uk
Forum Member

Yes you will.

I get NatGeoHD, DiscHD, HistHD and ArtsHD even though I don't subscribe to the Docs and Lifestyle & Culture mixes.

(No idea why some people can & some can't receive them)
firestarter.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:54
Blake Connolly
Forum Member

Originally Posted by cocks3

I did not know that!
Yes, it certainly was the case at launch, don't think they've changed it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31
gocat
Forum Member

Originally Posted by vinnie
Yep I get all that for 10 a month even though many on here were telling me I wouldnt get it as we got our HD from that offer of get a TV and get HD box installed for 150 thing about 6 months ago.
gocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:47
trenry
Forum Member

What are the current list of free to air HD channels available through my sky hd box.
trenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:49
Snoods
Forum Member

What are the current list of free to air HD channels available through my sky hd box.

BBC HD, Luxe TV HD, Ch4 HD is FTV so needs a card. ITV HD isn't available at all on Sky. Think that's it.
Snoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 02:03
jdslater1
Forum Member

There is RushHD but I'm not sure what cards are nneded to get this.
jdslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 07:21
not007
Forum Member

BBC HD, Luxe TV HD, Ch4 HD is FTV so needs a card. ITV HD isn't available at all on Sky. Think that's it.
I get these channels and can watch/record BBC HD. I can only watch Ch 4 HD and not able to record this channel, is this correct?
not007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 08:48
BKM
Forum Member

I get these channels and can watch/record BBC HD. I can only watch Ch 4 HD and not able to record this channel, is this correct?
If this is a statement and not a question the answer is - no it is not correct! You should be able to record C4HD!

If you cannot it is most likely that you have not had the smartcard paired with the Sky+HD box.
BKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:10
Blake Connolly
Forum Member

There is RushHD but I'm not sure what cards are nneded to get this.
Rush HD is a subscription channel and is part of the HD Mix.
Old 25-09-2008, 10:51
andybno1
Forum Member

surely if a person has freesat they would get bbchd aswell? no need for skyHD sub? as this is the only free to view channel
andybno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:58
Snoods
Forum Member

surely if a person has freesat they would get bbchd aswell? no need for skyHD sub? as this is the only free to view channel
I have freesat (BBC/ITV) and the HD channels i get are BBC HD, ITV HD, Luxe TV HD.

The only other one that is missing is CH4 HD but you need a freesatfromsky card for that as it's not FTA, it's FTV.

ITV HD isn't available on Sky as you probably know.
Snoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:59
Willie Wontie
Inactive Member

Not sure I understand your point. Everybody knows that BBC HD is available on a Freesat HD box (but not a standard Freesat box) - along with ITV HD.

Everybody knows that BBC HD is available for free on a Sky HD box - along with Luxe HD and C4 HD. So it obviously isn't the only free to view channel - both platforms offer other FTA/FTV high definition output also.

What point are you trying to get across? That somebody who only wants BBC HD could get it using a Freesat HD box? Correct. But nobody other than you has mentioned Freesat HD - the question was "If I cancel my Sky HD subscription what high definition channels will I still be able to receive on my Sky HD box?".

The OP has FreesatfromSky (note, this thread was started almost 18 months ago, long before the BBC/ITV Freesat platform existed) - but doesn't have Freesat HD.
Willie Wontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 11:23
gazzer1970
Forum Member

Yes you will.

I get NatGeoHD, DiscHD, HistHD and ArtsHD even though I don't subscribe to the Docs and Lifestyle & Culture mixes.

(No idea why some people can & some can't receive them)
you get these channels as part of the HD mix it doesn't depend on whether or not you subscribe to the other mixes
gazzer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 13:02
andybno1
Forum Member

Not sure I understand your point. Everybody knows that BBC HD is available on a Freesat HD box (but not a standard Freesat box) - along with ITV HD.

Everybody knows that BBC HD is available for free on a Sky HD box - along with Luxe HD and C4 HD. So it obviously isn't the only free to view channel - both platforms offer other FTA/FTV high definition output also.

What point are you trying to get across? That somebody who only wants BBC HD could get it using a Freesat HD box? Correct. But nobody other than you has mentioned Freesat HD - the question was "If I cancel my Sky HD subscription what high definition channels will I still be able to receive on my Sky HD box?".

The OP has FreesatfromSky (note, this thread was started almost 18 months ago, long before the BBC/ITV Freesat platform existed) - but doesn't have Freesat HD.
wow...... just wow
andybno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 23:18
markfraser
Forum Member

After reading some information on the subject on this forum (not this thread) I cancelled by HD sub and all premium channels. I now have all mixes at 22 per month. I was expecting to get BBC HD, C4 HD and Luxe HD but I can receive none of them.
markfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 23:22
BKM
Forum Member

After reading some information on the subject on this forum (not this thread) I cancelled by HD sub and all premium channels. I now have all mixes at 22 per month. I was expecting to get BBC HD, C4 HD and Luxe HD but I can receive none of them.
Pardon?? BBCHD and LuxeTV are not encrypted!

What happens when you tune to them??
BKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 09:45
Willie Wontie
Inactive Member

Are you sure you still have a Sky HD box?
Willie Wontie is offline   Reply With Quote