Options

Why do we let bad drivers push in? (moaning thread)

snorksnork Posts: 1,464
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, I don't drive, but as a passenger I find the following scenarios really, really irritating.

When there is a traffic jam on the motorway, people who can't be be bothered to wait drive up the hard shoulder. Then they push in further up the que.

Another one, the outside lane of motorway is closing so everyone gets into the slow and middle lanes, well apart from the tool who drives at break-neck speed to the end of the closing lane and then aggressively pushes in.

Why do we let them in?

Is anyone going to admit to driving down the hard shoulder when it is not permitted? Why do you do it, how much time do you actually save?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snork wrote: »
    Ok, I don't drive, but as a passenger I find the following scenarios really, really irritating.

When there is a traffic jam on the motorway, people who can't be be bothered to wait drive up the hard shoulder. Then they push in further up the que.

Another one, the outside lane of motorway is closing so everyone gets into the slow and middle lanes, well apart from the tool who drives at break-neck speed to the end of the closing lane and then aggressively pushes in.

Why do we let them in?

Is anyone going to admit to driving down the hard shoulder when it is not permitted? Why do you do it, how much time do you actually save?

We let them in because we're better than them.
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    I try not to let them in as they are blatantely getting as far up the front of the queue as they can, But sometimes, they leave it til the last minute and push in I have no choice to let them go before me otherwise they look like they are going to hit me:eek: .

Its the English among us, we are too polite and do anything for a quite life:cool:
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    If everybody stays in the 3 lanes up to a short distance before the point where the lane is closed then no one can push in. Near the restriction if all three lanes leave a gap between cars then all can filter nicely.

If everyone piles into lane 1000 yards before the obstruction of course the idiots will push in.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't have much choice when the option is losing your front wing. They don't actually indicate and wait for some king soul to usher them into the lane. On the contrary they PUSH, BARGE and sometimes BASH their way back in. It annoys me, but what can you do short of having an accident?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont let them in. If i see someone coming up in my wing mirror is stick like glue to the guy in front. Same as this big roundabout, where people cut in to jump the queue i use every day.
    how much time do you actually save?
    Regarding this though, it could be hours in mile long gridlocks i've been in before, given the speed you go compared to either 30mph makes a big difference. Thats why i view ahead on the motorway on my way to work and go what i call 'off road', using my tomtom to get to work if i see any hazard lights ahead. It works better than breaking laws and being dangerous by cutting up on the hard shoulder and stuff.

/rant.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I hate drivers cutting in but I have had a problem at some local roadworks- its a dual carriageway and one lane was closed. There were signs all along the road saying "Use both lanes and merge in turn". It was the evening rush hour but I was going to work to teach a fitness class. Anyway- most people were ignoring the signs saying "Use both lanes" and just queuing in the left hand lane. As I was a bit late I decided to keep going in the right hand lane ie using both lanes AS INSTRUCTED and when I reached the bit where it said "Merge now" no-one would let me in and some bloke in a white van called me a stupid c***. Was I right to do this or should I have ignored the signs although when people do zip merge correctly it helps traffic flow?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I let them in because they're not worth having an accident for. I even try not to get annoyed because they're not worth having high blood pressure for. But i'm always rather pleased when an enterprising lorry driver sees them coming and drives on the white line so they can't get past :D
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I hate drivers cutting in but I have had a problem at some local roadworks- its a dual carriageway and one lane was closed. There were signs all along the road saying "Use both lanes and merge in turn". It was the evening rush hour but I was going to work to teach a fitness class. Anyway- most people were ignoring the signs saying "Use both lanes" and just queuing in the left hand lane. As I was a bit late I decided to keep going in the right hand lane ie using both lanes AS INSTRUCTED and when I reached the bit where it said "Merge now" no-one would let me in and some bloke in a white van called me a stupid c***. Was I right to do this or should I have ignored the signs although when people do zip merge correctly it helps traffic flow?

You were right and the bloke in the van was a cad as well as wrong.
    Although if you belted down the outside in a flashy Beemer or a large 4x4 and tried to force your way in at the end it could be viewed in a different light.
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes sense to use as much motorway as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try not to let them in if traffic is moving slowly. However, on dual carriageways and motorways, I normally end up letting them get their pushy little way due to fear of damage to my vehicle and/or violence. I once had a woman chase me in my car for about a mile mouthing obscenities at me and driving far too close to my bumper.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gunneruk wrote: »
    We let them in because we're better than them.
    I'm not :D I never let them in (even if it means driving 1cm from the car in front to stop them squeezing in). Let the obnoxious b***tards wait for ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really annoys me when there's roadworks going on. You can blatantly see the signs telling you that one lane ahead is closed and all the traffic is queueing in the open lane yet there's always the self-important t**** that head down the closed land knowing that some soft so and so will let them in. It drives me potty. I never let people in who do this.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I read on here that getting into a car makes us relive our evolution over the past two million years, it's all about territory and aggression. Which is daft when we're each in a machine that could kill.

I try to cultivate a non-aggressive attitude but being realistic I play "spot the tosser" to feel better.

:D
  • Options
    nadiasantosnadiasantos Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never get in with me.

Had a tussle with a 4x4 on a roundabout yesterday.

Luckily my van was the same size as him.

Unfortunately I had to drive a hundred years on a bit of cross hatch but he didn't get in.

This type of thing seems to be getting common.

I now have a baseball bat with me at all times
  • Options
    Warfield RoyalWarfield Royal Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Use both lanes then merge in turn. It is fair for everyone.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A van actually cut me up a few weeks ago, going around a roundabout. So i flashed him and stuck 2 fingers up at him in his wing mirror, i was quite annoyed.

Stopped at red lights on roundabout.

Then the next lane was clear so i thought i'd just go past him, and his door opened, and he started getting out of the van, but i was already on my way into the other lane, and the lights turned amber.

I think i missed a scrape of death there with road rage. Its the closest i've ever got to it. To have another driver actually get out of his van, and he wasn't slender.
  • Options
    the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people didn't drive so closely on motorways, then using all lanes till they close is better because drivers would be able to merge in turn into the traffic flow.

Driving too close to the car in front means you'll be stop-starting more frequently.

I aim to move in around the 200yds marker and don't force my way in, but as I get closer I look for a gap.
  • Options
    nadiasantosnadiasantos Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A van actually cut me up a few weeks ago, going around a roundabout. So i flashed him and stuck 2 fingers up at him in his wing mirror, i was quite annoyed.

Stopped at red lights on roundabout.

Then the next lane was clear so i thought i'd just go past him, and his door opened, and he started getting out of the van, but i was already on my way into the other lane, and the lights turned amber.

I think i missed a scrape of death there with road rage. Its the closest i've ever got to it. To have another driver actually get out of his van, and he wasn't slender.

Thats when the baseball bat comes in handy
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I happily let them in, since I'm quite secure with my masculinity and don't need to get in to a dick size competition with other drivers about who gets to go first.

Let someone in and you lose a whole one car length of space in front of you. Something that'll take you less than a second to make up once the traffic starts moving again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I drive a 14 year old Corsa, they don't push in front of me, because nine times out of ten, they have a better car than mine! :D
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are two completely different things:-
    It is illegal and dangerous to drive on the hard shoulder.
    Guidance from the Police and other experts is that traffic flow is improved (and pushing in avoided) by "merging in turn" at the last point before the lane restriction. Most coned-off areas are shaped to suggest that this is what drivers should do.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote: »
    I drive a 14 year old Corsa, they don't push in front of me, because nine times out of ten, they have a better car than mine! :D

I used to have a 2CV - it was great, no-one came anywhere near me! I let people in because I figure they'll get theirs some day. I'm thinking of buying a Centurion tank someday and letting the b****rs try to get past that!
  • Options
    SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once this idiot tried to cut in front of me. I was in a foul mood. He turned his car towards the front of mine while I was stationery. So when I started moving again he just looked at me and waved as if to tell me that I will be letting him in. I didn't stop just continued to drive and just kept a very smug and superior look on my face. He beeped as I went past I just looked at him and shook my head whilst rolling my eyes. I'm not a lipreader but I know he was calling me a "[something] bas*ard". :D
  • Options
    deeemgeedeeemgee Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive a BMW and take pleasure in driving with the best common coutesy and decency. I always prefer to pull into inside lane at roadworks, I can live with arrogant clowns pushing in at last minute and I take mild pleasure in usually allowing drivers to cross me at junctions where safe.

I prefer to get home to my family in one piece and try not to see driving as a combatative endurance test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    deeemgee wrote: »
    I drive a BMW and take pleasure in driving with the best common coutesy and decency. I always prefer to pull into inside lane at roadworks, I can live with arrogant clowns pushing in at last minute and I take mild pleasure in usually allowing drivers to cross me at junctions where safe.

I prefer to get home to my family in one piece and try not to see driving as a combatative endurance test.
    If only all BMW drivers were like you.