Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

New Virgin remote control

Old 07-06-2007, 12:01
frankiew1
Forum Member

Has anyone had any luck buying one of these from the Virgin Media website? I just get stuck on a 'checking stock' message and when I phone customer services they tell me it's because I use Norton firewall/anti-virus/pop-up blocker and I will have to turn them all off so that I can place an order. Not a road I want to go down.

If I buy one from Ebay for less than Virgin want will they have any right to get the hump? Can they even tell?
frankiew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-06-2007, 14:45
davethorp
Forum Member

I can't see how they would be able to tell.

Is there any reason you want a virgin remote or is it just so it's got the correct brand on? Your old telewest/NTL would still work
davethorp is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:25
frankiew1
Forum Member

I need to buy a new one because the old one has ceased to function. The red light is on all the time it has a battery in and the digibox doesn't respond to it. I don't really care what brand it is I just want one that works.
Old 07-06-2007, 16:29
Toilet-Duck
Forum Member

I need to buy a new one because the old one has ceased to function. The red light is on all the time it has a battery in and the digibox doesn't respond to it. I don't really care what brand it is I just want one that works.
Buy one off ebay.
Toilet-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:29
mcin
Forum Member

In the telewest days they gave you a free replacement remote? Is this no longer the case
mcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:38
Dean Lambert
Forum Member

In the telewest days they gave you a free replacement remote? Is this no longer the case
They still do the replacement remotes, I got 2 this morning when I only ordered 1
Dean Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:43
Shepard
Forum Member

yes they do, if you call them they will arrange one for you. they will prob ask to send the old one back, or they used too lol
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44
anna_r
Forum Member

Got my free replacement yesterday too, have to send it back within 7 days otherwise they'll charge me. Typically, my broken telewest remote now works after dropping it on the floor again!
anna_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58
Steven L Hunter
Forum Member

So what is the remote they send you if you want a replacement?
Steven L Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07
Digital Fanantic

That sounds like the battery is faulty/low. The light on the remote can do that when the batts are flat.

So long as you send the old remote back when your new one arrives they wont charge you.

Old 08-06-2007, 14:43
goomba
Forum Member

Got my free replacement yesterday too, have to send it back within 7 days otherwise they'll charge me. Typically, my broken telewest remote now works after dropping it on the floor again!
I had a similar thing with mine a few weeks ago. The light was working on it but it didn't do anything even with fresh batteries. Gave it a good bang against my hand and it sprung back into life
goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 15:47
Free-who
Forum Member

I rang virgin this morning and my box keeps rebooting its self she tested it and it was fine then she said about the remote control and said it was a fault with the remote so she is sending me another one FREE of charge all i have to do is send the old one back.
Free-who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 20:53
brizzle42
Forum Member

Has anyone had any luck buying one of these from the Virgin Media website? I just get stuck on a 'checking stock' message and when I phone customer services they tell me it's because I use Norton firewall/anti-virus/pop-up blocker and I will have to turn them all off so that I can place an order. Not a road I want to go down.

If I buy one from Ebay for less than Virgin want will they have any right to get the hump? Can they even tell?
Where do they sell them on the website? All I can find them selling is NTL ones?
brizzle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 21:27
Free-who
Forum Member

Where do they sell them on the website? All I can find them selling is NTL ones?
Ring virgin and ask them for a remote control and see what they say .....u dont know unless u ask..
Free-who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49
frankiew1
Forum Member

I rang virgin this morning and my box keeps rebooting its self she tested it and it was fine then she said about the remote control and said it was a fault with the remote so she is sending me another one FREE of charge all i have to do is send the old one back.

Sadly too late for a freebie for me now, bought a new one off Ebay and hubby chucked the old one in the bin with the dog poo! No amount of new batteries or impact engineering would fix it so it's gone to a better place. Maybe if this one dies I'll try for a free one.