Who is Better Lampard or Gerrard?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have to go with Lampard, here are some of the reasons why:

61 league goals for chelsea in 6 seasons.
223 league appearances for chelsea out of 228.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with Stevie Gerrard. Lampard is a quality player for Chelsea when he has Makelele, Essien or Mikel to do most of his dirtywork but stick him as part of a midfield two and his lack of allround ability compromises his effectiveness. Lampard is mainly about goals. He is one of the best finishers and long range goal getters from midfield in european football. Twenty goals a season from that position is top class.

Gerrard, on the other hand, is a classic box to box midfielder. Can do everything expected of a player in that position be it tackling, passing, driving the team forward and is close to Lampard when it comes to attacking qualities. England's midfield does look badly balanced and I reckon Hargreaves and Gerrard should be the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it hurts to say as a United fan Gerrard pisses all over Lampard.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with Lampard. More effective for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    JamieBarry wrote: »
    I have to go with Lampard, here are some of the reasons why:

That may be te case,,, but who would you rather have???

A player that scores loads and sets up little,,, or a player who scores less but sets up more???

Stevie G is far better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bartyj11 wrote: »
    That may be te case,,, but who would you rather have???

A player that scores loads and sets up little,,, or a player who scores less but sets up more???

Stevie G is far better!

Lampard for me.

Lampard has had more assists than Gerrard in the premier league in the last 3 years.

So I'd like a player who scores loads and assists more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As painful as it is, Gerrard is better.

Paul Scholes is better than both of them though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Id go for Gerrard every time
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard by a country mile, look how good he was for England with Lampard out of the team.
    I dont think there is one football pundit or expert that would put Lampard ahead of Gerrard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lampard scores more, assists more and is the least injury prone player in the prem. Gerrard just makes a difference in big games, if not for the fa cup and champs league finals we wouldnt be having this discussion.

The argument about enlgand, when was the last time lampard played without gerrard? and anyway Gerrard gets rested fr pool, lamps doesnt for chelsea. His performances are expected to be worse for england. Even though he has scored more england goals than gerrard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerrard only managed 7 league goals last season. I know it's not all about goals but his assist record wasn't too good either.

For a player who earns 100k per week I'd expect more from him.
  • The DivinationThe Divination Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard - he's an inspiration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    I think they're both overrated by the English media, imo Mascherano is the best midfielder at Liverpool and Essien the best at Chelsea.

Out of the two, Gerrard is the better, he has far more to his game. Lampard wouldn't be half as good if he didn't have the likes of Makelele and Essien doing all the defensive work behind him.
  • wolverinewolverine Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard is the lesser of two evils
  • bwilliamsbwilliams Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it has to be Gerrard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    It has to be Gerrard.

Far better midfielder than Lampard.
  • DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lampard is much better than the overrated one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to see all the people that favour Lampard use his higher goal scoring ratio, assists and good attendance.

People who prefer Gerrard, choose to use the Makelele/ Essien do all the work for Lamprd argument which doesn't really make Gerrard look any better.

Gerrard is overrated. He tends to score spectacular goals in cup finals and that's pretty much all he does.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Gerrard has a better all round game. He can mix it with passing, taking a player on and regular bursts into the box. Lampard has a good shot and can time his runs into the box well but apart from that I struggle to think why so many people like him. He gets found out whenever he plays in Europe or International football IMO. Gerrard is a big game player compared to Lampard. Lampard hasn't performed against top quality opposition compared to Gerrard producing when it really matters.

This is another reason why I rate Kaka more than Ronaldo. In bigger games Kaka has produced.

Anyhow Gerrard is winning 10-6 in this who is better contest :D
  • grotbags1975grotbags1975 Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tibsy wrote: »
    As painful as it is, Gerrard is better.

Paul Scholes is better than both of them though

And Ronaldinho is better than Scholes, but thats not the point.

IMO Gerrard is the better player of the 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Ronaldinho is better than Scholes, but thats not the point.

IMO Gerrard is the better player of the 2

:p give Tibsy a break - that admission must have really hurt :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    well the stats in the first post are always going to be useless without the stats for Gerrard to go with them

got these from Wiki and it claims Gerrard has

64 total goals in 6 seasons

of course stats are useless as you can just select the column where Lampard is higher to make a point :D

I'd have to say Gerrard is better.. just look at England the one who is more versitile and can play all over the park in Gerrard, Lampard can only play in one fixed position and can't even really cover for the defensive duties when Gerrard or other players go forward.

Could you see Lampard playing at right back at the end of a game ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherer wrote: »
    well the stats in the first post are always going to be useless without the stats for Gerrard to go with them

of course stats are useless as you can just select the column where Lampard is higher to make a point :D

I'd have to say Gerrard is better.. just look at England the one who is more versitile and can play all over the park in Gerrard, Lampard can only play in one fixed position and can't even really cover for the defensive duties when Gerrard or other players go forward.

Of course, there's lies, damned lies and statistics ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stats for Lampard:

Stats for Gerrard in same period:

36 league goals for liverpool in 6 seasons.
    193 league appearances for chelsea out of 228.

If you are going to use total goals then Lampard's stats p!$$ all over Gerrards even more. Lampard has 90 goals in 6 seasons :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but that viewpoint can be reversed, your team is 2-1 down and you need a goal, Lampard's a far better attacker.

Why's Gerrard always got to keep playing all over the field anyway, have the defenders and strikers gone on holiday?
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I'd side with Gerrard. (I'm a Liverpook fan so I expect my choice to be ignored!:D )

A couple of years ago it might have been different, but Lamps just seems like an average player of late, hopefully the rest will bring him back up to form again. Even I can admit when he's on form he's great to watch. (as long as he's not playing us!)