Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Help with dvd burning ?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:53
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

Hi Folks, I bought a new pc a few months ago and im having a first go at burning a dvd. It is a avi video file i am trying to burn to dvd so i can watch it on tv.

I am aware i would need some type of software, so i have Roxio My dvd which came with the pc, however when trying to add files im getting this error message::: The software thats being used to decode the media is not available on this system. Installing the correct decoders for the files you are working with may help correct the problem...

I looked in the user guide for supported files and apparently AVI is supported so where am i going wrong, any help would be appreciated, i am a bit of a pc numpty
LuckyBxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:09
stvn758
Forum Member

http://www.free-codecs.com/

Klite codec pack will give you all the codecs you need and Media Player Classic. You could just download a single codec like Xvid or install DivX.

You might have an OEM copy of Roxio, if it's like NERO you get a free trial then you have to buy an Mpeg plugin if you want to burn video.

Free Trials of NERO & Ulead Movie Factory will burn your avi video if all else fails, Ulead is very easy to use.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

http://www.free-codecs.com/

Klite codec pack will give you all the codecs you need and Media Player Classic. You could just download a single codec like Xvid or install DivX.

You might have an OEM copy of Roxio, if it's like NERO you get a free trial then you have to buy an Mpeg plugin if you want to burn video.

Free Trials of NERO & Ulead Movie Factory will burn your avi video if all else fails, Ulead is very easy to use.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php
Thanks for that but arghhhh lol

Ok i downloaded the Klite codec pack, installed it, tried Roxio again and am now getting the message ::: Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installled.

Why are these things so difficult
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

I might try Ulead later then as i am getting a bit frustrated now and may just chuck my computer out the window.

I need something like dvd burning for dummies
Old 07-07-2007, 11:47
stvn758
Forum Member

If the Roxio software is a full version and you have the CD, try reinstalling it. I'm assuming the freebies never are.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:49
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

If the Roxio software is a full version and you have the CD, try reinstalling it. I'm assuming the freebies never are.
no its just a trial thingy, no cd.
Old 07-07-2007, 22:02
Trollheart
Forum Member

Try this
http://www.winavi.com/avi-to-dvd.htm
You'll probably have to pay for the full version for it to work (if it does), or else google around for "avi to dvd": there are plenty of programs which should convert your files for you so that you can then burn to DVD.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 22:41
Troy Tempest
Forum Member

Oki Doki

You need to convert the AVI video to DVD video so your DVD player can read it.

Lots of programmes to do this out there (Google is your friend) I use AVI2DVD from here http://avi2dvd.en.softonic.com/

Instructions on how to use from here http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...vd_avi2dvd.cfm

The resulting file will be in an ISO format, ie. "myvideo.iso"

Burn this iso file using Roxio, Nero or Pinnacle (or whatever you find for free from google!) to DVD.

Open beer and watch DVD
Troy Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:57
fletchem
Forum Member

An even simpler approach is to use DVDFlick - it includes IMGBurn so, as long as you set it up correctly, once the conversion is finished, it burns the ISO to disk automatically.

I have used both DVDFlick and AVI2DVD. AVI2DVD gives a better output, DVDFlick is just simpler.
fletchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 15:40
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

An even simpler approach is to use DVDFlick - it includes IMGBurn so, as long as you set it up correctly, once the conversion is finished, it burns the ISO to disk automatically.

I have used both DVDFlick and AVI2DVD. AVI2DVD gives a better output, DVDFlick is just simpler.
Thanks everyone

I went with DVD flick and you said it was simple. So i downloaed it and opened the guide and worked through it.

When i got to the end bit to burn the disc i am getting this message....

Your project dvd disc is full. You must remove titles or audio tracks, or set a different target bitrate in order to be able to fit the contents of your project onto the target disc specified. Are you sure you want to continue.

What should i do here, im stuck
Old 08-07-2007, 15:45
fletchem
Forum Member

It looks to me like the target disk is either full or the computer thinks its full.

When you configure DVDFlick you should specify where you want it to be burnt - that way it will not create files too large for the desintation media.

Adjusting the bit rate will shrink the file size.

Sounds to me like you may be trying to burn it to a disk that already has stuff on it. If that is the case - download the standalone version of IMGBurn from HERE and delete the disk contents using one of the options in the pull down menus.

DVDFlick should have kept a copy of the ISO file - look in the setting to see where it stores the temp files it creates. You can then use your newly acquired copy of IMGBurn to burn the image (ISO) to the now blank DVD...
Old 08-07-2007, 15:46
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

Just to say, i tried removing one of the items to be burned to disc, thinking i am maybe trying to burn too much on the disc but that aint working either.
Old 08-07-2007, 15:47
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

It looks to me like the target disk is either full or the computer thinks its full.

When you configure DVDFlick you should specify where you want it to be burnt - that way it will not create files too large for the desintation media.

Adjusting the bit rate will shrink the file size.

Sounds to me like you may be trying to burn it to a disk that already has stuff on it. If that is the case - download the standalone version of IMGBurn from HERE and delete the disk contents using one of the options in the pull down menus. DVDFlick should have kept a copy of the ISO file - look in the setting to see where it stores the temp files it creates.
No the disc is blank, never been used.
Old 08-07-2007, 19:29
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

Well i got it too work after removing 2 of the files i wanted to burn however it did not work on the dvd player lol which does take copies..... oh well back to the drawing board
Old 09-07-2007, 08:52
fletchem
Forum Member

In DVDFlick in the project settings (fourth icon along) you can specify the target media. Is it set to DVD?

I have no idea why it may think the target media is too small - unless you have a duff disk or are trying to burn to CD...

In the fourth tab along in project settings, you can get the programme to "create ISO" - this is the disk image that is later burnt to DVD. If your burn fails for some reason - this ISO can be burnt at a later date so you don't have to go through the encoding porcess again.

Once you have burnt a successful disk, delete the ISO - unless you have a huge harddrive and can store them - they tend to be very big
Old 09-07-2007, 11:42
LuckyBxx
Forum Member

Hi again,

I realised what i was doing wrong, i was burning it to cd disc instead of dvd disc lol

Its working now, thanks for all you help xx
Old 10-03-2009, 09:04
The Cad
Inactive Member

Thanks for that but arghhhh lol

Ok i downloaded the Klite codec pack, installed it, tried Roxio again and am now getting the message ::: Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installled.

"Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installed. -47010”

Try this, hope it helps.

Go to:
Start
All programs
Divx
DivX codec
Decoder Configuration Utility

Uncheck the box that says “use advanced hardware overlay”
The Cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12
zx50
Forum Member

Hi again,

I realised what i was doing wrong, i was burning it to cd disc instead of dvd disc lol

Its working now, thanks for all you help xx

I wouldn't worry about it, as we've all likely made the daftest of mistakes when we first start out with something. You'll get better as you go on.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:31
tuppy26
Forum Member

I wouldnt worry either when I 1st used DVDflick my IMGBURN wouldnt automatically start and I would have to force it (didnt realise at 1st) so went to work one day assuming that after 7 hours it would burn and nah, forced it into it when got home to realise I hadnt actually clicked the burn to DVD/CD in the project setting, so in effect wasted about 10 hours to get a blank DVD............I can laugh these days but was mighty peeved back then (We all have to learn)
tuppy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27
cardbus
Forum Member

I wouldnt worry either when I 1st used DVDflick my IMGBURN wouldnt automatically start and I would have to force it (didnt realise at 1st) so went to work one day assuming that after 7 hours it would burn and nah, forced it into it when got home to realise I hadnt actually clicked the burn to DVD/CD in the project setting, so in effect wasted about 10 hours to get a blank DVD............I can laugh these days but was mighty peeved back then (We all have to learn)
remember it well
cardbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:32
ironjade
Forum Member

DVD Flick has an "Autofit" option which will lower the quality a bit to fit everything on to the disc. Saves faffing with bitrates etc.
DeVeDe is very good for creating disc image .isos which can then be burnt using another program.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48
Gill P
Forum Member

I was having this problem and a forum member suggested DVD Flick which is simple to use and free! Perfectly adequate for my purposes.

Here is the link to the thread with my query. DVD Flick
Gill P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:12
merlin777
Forum Member

I'm using DVD flick for the first time but I have 2 problems.

I can't find the check box for activating the menu as shown in the guide (I only have 3 check boxes).

When I click on create dvd, it says my disc is full but I'm burning 3 fles to disc, total 2.83 gig so I can't see why it might be full. I have checked auto fit and chosen dvd 4.3 for the media.

I haven't actually put a disc in the drive yet but I expected to get this far without doing so. I tried selecting the create iso option and deselecting the burn disc option but I get the same error.

Any ideas?
merlin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:28
merlin777
Forum Member

I realise this may be a dumb question, but do you need to install imgburn seperately or does it install with dvdflick? The download page says all needed components are installed.
merlin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:42
Stig
Forum Member

I realise this may be a dumb question, but do you need to install imgburn seperately or does it install with dvdflick? The download page says all needed components are installed.
Press Start, type imgburn and find out if it's installed!

Also, why are you bumping a thread from 2009?
Stig is online now   Reply With Quote