Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

european channels

Old 17-05-2003, 18:11
pjg
Forum Member

I reckon we've got just about every channel worth having now (except Sky Sports Extra). But ntl could make a real point of difference (from $ky) by having more European channels.

It's great that TV5 is part of the family package, but what about German, Italian and Spanish channels (as a start, as these are the main European languages).

I contacted DW (Deutsche Welle, the German equivalent of the BBC World Service) and got this response:
Thank-you for writing and for your interest in DW-TV.

We are only available in the UK at present via Telewest broadband. This means
that we are also only available in certain areas. However, interest in DW-TV
seems to be growing in the UK and we will certainly be more easily accessible in
the future. Exactly through what channels this will happen has not yet been
negotiated at the moment. In the meantime, you can watch DW-TV live on your PC
(see our website www.dw-world.de).

I'll pass your mail on to the distribution department, so that they are able to
see how many mails we are now receiving form viewers in the UK who are
interested in receiving us. I hope it won't be long until we are widely
available over there.

Best regards from DW-TV in Berlin!

Lindsay Jane Munro
Editorial - Viewer Correspondence
DW-TV Berlin
The mail address there is Lindsay.Munro@dw-world.de - so if you're interested please mail too.

Suggestions for the best (and most realisticly achievable) channels to campaign for from Italy and Spain..?
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-05-2003, 19:23
Swipe
Forum Member

For Spanish TV:- tve Internacional and Canal 24 horas news channel
Swipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2003, 20:45
*Joe*
Forum Member

ntl's effort with european channels is pretty hopeless. We used to get rai-uno (italian) and RTL+ (german) as well as TV5 on Analogue. So why not digital?
*Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 10:39
pyphon
Forum Member

that is down to your local cable company, my ntl: region has never had anything remotely foreign on analogue. (unless you count the weather in in Norwegian)
pyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 10:57
david16
Forum Member

Originally posted by pyphon
that is down to your local cable company, my ntl: region has never had anything remotely foreign on analogue. (unless you count the weather in in Norwegian)
Doesn't CNN, Cartoon Network, Eurosport News, CNBC, Boomerang and TCM count as foreign or European channels.
david16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 12:38
Inkblot
Forum Member

Originally posted by david16
Doesn't CNN, Cartoon Network, Eurosport News, CNBC, Boomerang and TCM count as foreign or European channels.
On that principle, five is a foreign channel.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 17:04
Daubo
Forum Member

I think it would be a good idea for cable to show some european channels, I know some people from abroad that are now residents of the UK who used to subscribe to NTL analogue due simply to the euro channels.

We used to have...

TV5, DWTV, SAT1, RTL, DSF, TVE, RaiDue and Viva.

I get all of these on digital satellite but I think it would be interesting to have a few channel from a few of the close countries in a europack. So an extra 5/month gets you...

TV5 - French
DWTV - German
BRAlpha - German (Educational)
TVE Int. - Spanish
Canal Canarias - Canaries (Turism)
RTP Int. - Portugal
BVNTV - Dutch
RaiUno Int. - Italian
Alpha Int. - Greek
TRT Int. - Turkish

Or pick just 1 (DW & BRAlpha count as 1, as do TVE & Canarias) for 1/month.

Also included in the base pack, I think ntl should broadcast
EbS - European Broadcasting System
EuroNews - European News in 7 different languages
Daubo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 19:44
Martin Curry
Forum Member

Originally posted by Daubo
I think it would be a good idea for cable to show some european channels, I know some people from abroad that are now residents of the UK who used to subscribe to NTL analogue due simply to the euro channels.

We used to have...

TV5, DWTV, SAT1, RTL, DSF, TVE, RaiDue and Viva.

I get all of these on digital satellite but I think it would be interesting to have a few channel from a few of the close countries in a europack. So an extra 5/month gets you...

TV5 - French
DWTV - German
BRAlpha - German (Educational)
TVE Int. - Spanish
Canal Canarias - Canaries (Turism)
RTP Int. - Portugal
BVNTV - Dutch
RaiUno Int. - Italian
Alpha Int. - Greek
TRT Int. - Turkish

Or pick just 1 (DW & BRAlpha count as 1, as do TVE & Canarias) for 1/month.

Also included in the base pack, I think ntl should broadcast
EbS - European Broadcasting System
EuroNews - European News in 7 different languages
I'd add arte (all three soundtracks) and S4C Digitol to this wish list.

Martin Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 20:09
pyphon
Forum Member

Originally posted by david16
i class foreign tv as in non english e.g. setv, and all them.
pyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 22:19
david16
Forum Member

Originally posted by pyphon
i class foreign tv as in non english e.g. setv, and all them.
They don't necessarily have to be in foreign language to be classed as foreign. It's where the channel's broadcast from that determines whether it's a foreign channel or not.
Old 19-05-2003, 22:32
Inspector Regan
Forum Member

Well I've seen it all now ! Guys - if you want foreign TV then move out of the country

People moan there are too many shopping channels - people moan there are too many music channels - people moan there are too many infomercial channels - people moan there are too many travelogue channels - and now people want foreign TV channels. Great suggestion Sherlocks - let's all watch Eastenders in French, German, Spanish or Italian.
Inspector Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2003, 09:03
pjg
Forum Member

I think most people knew what I meant by my original question: I was refering to channels from other (non-UK) European broadcasters with programming in (largely) non-english languages.

There seem to be a large number of channels from Asian broadcasters and/or in Asian languages (quite rightly so). But European languages (other than English - for you pedants out there, French TV5 and Welsh & Scottish Gaelic now with the addition of 2 radio stations today) seem poorly served - they would be of good educational value for language learning and insight into our neighbours' cultures and views of current affairs, and also would serve European ex-pats based in the UK (a new market for NTL?).
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2003, 18:39
Daubo
Forum Member

Originally posted by Inspector Regan
Well I've seen it all now ! Guys - if you want foreign TV then move out of the country... ...let's all watch Eastenders in French, German, Spanish or Italian.
I don't think the point is that anyone wants to watch the same show in different languages but some people do speak several languages, want to learn other languages, or perhaps are from France, Spain... and live here because of family and work and don't want to fly a few hundred miles everyday to watch the news or some first language programming.

That's why I suggested it be a subscription package, then those viewers are paying for the carridge and you don't have to watch them.

BTW Martin, I agree about Arte. I get Arte and although can't always understand as it usually is only in it's original language there are some good movies on there.
Old 21-05-2003, 13:32
timo_w2s
Forum Member

I think the problem is that these days you can buy a basic free to air digital receiver and satellite dish for about 200 and get hundreds of free European channels with no monthly fee. NTL could never compete with that and I expect most people who really want to watch TV in their own language will put up with a dish.

It's a shame though, it would be nice to see more "exotic" channels on cable like in the good old days.
timo_w2s is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 13:52
SmugMarried
Forum Member

Thanks for posting about this!

Ages ago, I signed up to pay 1 per month for TV5 but one month I was charged 70p and then it disappeared off my bill completely! I was still getting the channel so phoned NTL and they didn't know why I wasn't being charged any more!

When did they make the decision to make TV5 free? Not that I'm complaining at all - just curious!

Ta!
SmugMarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 13:58
timo_w2s
Forum Member

Originally posted by SmugMarried
When did they make the decision to make TV5 free? Not that I'm complaining at all - just curious!
TV5 is still a pay channel on NTL, but it's now included in the Family Pack.

TV5 is free via satellite (not Sky!).
timo_w2s is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 14:40
Dan27
Forum Member

My Dad is Italian, he hardly has the chance to go back to Italy once every three years or so, so it would be nice if NTL had Rai Uno and Rai Due back in their TV packages so he could at least watch a little Italian programming. Is it too much to ask when you have so many pointless timeshift and shopping channels on NTL?

Not everyone who lives in the UK is British....
Dan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 15:18
RadiorobFM
Forum Member

European channels were a feature on analogue cable so I find it odd that they are not on digital cable too.
RadiorobFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 17:33
ThePerfectOne
Forum Member

you can watch rai uno on astra 19.0 east for free .
ThePerfectOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 18:02
david16
Forum Member

Originally posted by eyeball
you can watch rai uno on astra 19.0 east for free .
Only if you have got a satellite dish.
Old 21-05-2003, 18:59
aller
Forum Member

Well I've seen it all now ! Guys - if you want foreign TV then move out of the country

We want NTL to introduce more European channels the more the better, we should be much closer to our European partners. Right now I have every intention of staying in the UK in the land of my birth, England, It's good to learn more about our nextdoor neighbours.

aller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 20:23
Daubo
Forum Member

too ture, IMHO i think it would be a good selling point over Sky, cable has always seemed like the slightly more cultural service provider (with the exception of L!VE TV)

Example:
Performance
Landscape
Travel Channel (First on cable for many years before Sky)
Old 21-05-2003, 22:27
koolax
Forum Member

People moan there are too many shopping channels - people moan there are too many music channels - people moan there are too many infomercial channels - people moan there are too many travelogue channels - and now people want foreign TV channels. Great suggestion Sherlocks - let's all watch Eastenders in French, German, Spanish or Italian.
and you always moan about people on these forums,

Believe it or not inspector Regan but there are some people who speak more than one language! You talk shite but unfortunatley that doesn't count as a second language

Some of these people who can speak these languages, or want to learn to speak them, want to watch TV programmes on those channels, why shouldn't they?
koolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 22:33
*Joe*
Forum Member

I must say, I take, french and german, and it would be nice to have channels in those languages to familiarise myself with accents etc... Things that you can only get from TV or visitng the country.
The other thing that is good about forign channels, is that you can get an international perspective of current affairs. For example, I doubt that french news stations reported the War in Iraq, in the same 'light' as UK or US stations did.
*Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 13:12
koolax
Forum Member

Originally posted by joekelly11
I must say, I take, french and german, and it would be nice to have channels in those languages to familiarise myself with accents etc... Things that you can only get from TV or visitng the country.
The other thing that is good about forign channels, is that you can get an international perspective of current affairs. For example, I doubt that french news stations reported the War in Iraq, in the same 'light' as UK or US stations did.
I was in france towards the end of the war, the News on TF 1 and LCI (french 24hour news channel) were very negative, they showed a lot more gory scenes of dead iraqis etc. i'm against the war, but their reporting was a little too biased for me, still it was a refreshing alternative to fox new's pro-war stance
koolax is offline   Reply With Quote