Maplin - Camping Satellite Kits

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm interested in purchasing one of the camping satellite kits "in a case" from Maplin.

Basically, I'm intrigued as to what is hovering above us, I don't want to buy anything too expensive, but the kits here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=217921&doy=30m7

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=48737&doy=30m7

sound ideal.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two?! And are they any good?

Also - I live near Newcastle in NE UK, will the dish etc be OK to receive Hotbird, Hispasat, Astra 19, Heallsat etc? I'm not really interested in Astra 28 as we already have Sky.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking very quickly I think the only difference is the receiver that comes with the kit.

If you're prepared to spend the money and have a play then go for it.

Expect a lot of frustration however as the 39cm dish is pretty small which means you'll need to be absolutely spot on with your aim and the slightest gust of wind will likely cause a signal drop-out. As for the receivers, they are both free to air so you wouldn't be able to watch a lot of interesting channels that are available.;)

If you're really wanting to get into this hobby its best to fit at least an 80cm motorised dish, preferably 100cm if you can, and have unobstructed views to 42 east and 30 west. Then you'll be able to play to your hearts content.

Hope this helps.
    p.s I also live in Newcastle and have a 100cm motorised dish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the second one (the "satellite suitcase") - I think the difference is down to the various ways of mounting the dish.

I seem to recall the camping one came with a mini tripod, and the suitcase came with a clamp, some suction cups and some other bits. Neither is really suitable for permanent installation - they're a bit messy! Best bet is to open them both up in the shop and see what's in there... the assistants will normally be quite helpful.

The suction cup way was the easiest and pretty sturdy - I just stuck mine to the outside of a double glazed window!

All I could really get using the dish supplied was 28.2 (Sky), 19.2 (Astra 1), 13.0 (Hotbird) and 5W (French).

Hellasat (39.0) and Eutelsat (16.0) is a bit weak here (and I'm further south east than you, so I would have thought it might be more of a problem for you).

The receiver that came with it is OK though, and the sat finder feature is worth it's wait in gold - I've just added a larger dish with a motor, and it works quite well.
  • merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fully agree with whats said,the kit is really for Euro use,the dish is so small it will annoy you,so if the lidl dish is still avail get it for 14 quid.

Bob Wrexham
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I got the second one, like you just as I was curious to see what I could receive.
    Just used the dish within it's case on a table and played around being able to get the three satellites I tried no problem: Hotbirds, Astra 19.2 and Astra 28.2 (I'm in Middlesbrough). Haven't tried to get any of the other satellites yet, but this system re-fired my interest so I've now reinstalled my old 80cm dish onto the side of the garage and have 3 separate LNBs pointing to the three satellites above, via a DiscqEq switch to the receiver in the Maplin pack (SL6512), and split signal to another Maplin receiver (Touchbox3).
    Wanted mainly the multitude of music channels available FTA, but do lose quite a lot of signals in bad weather.
    I'm going to play around with the suitcase one again sometime soon to see if it can pick up any of the other birds.
  • merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good luck, but with sat the bigger the dish the better the picture. I bought a 0.1LNB for £10, made a big difference. Great hobby though, remember your better half will soon get fed up, if you involve her in the setting up:eek:

Bob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i went ahead and bought the second one from Maplin for £60.

Tried it last night - very good - managed to pick up both Astras and Hotbird @ 13.

Only problem was the kit doesnt come with a sat finder (even though their website says it does) - good job I have one on loan from someone else - and it only comes with a sucker, so I need to sort out a pole or some other bracket so I can play will my heart is content.

So for £60 I'm more than happy. My other half isn't like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i went ahead and bought the second one from Maplin for £60.

Tried it last night - very good - managed to pick up both Astras and Hotbird @ 13.

Only problem was the kit doesnt come with a sat finder (even though their website says it does) - good job I have one on loan from someone else - and it only comes with a sucker, so I need to sort out a pole or some other bracket so I can play will my heart is content.

So for £60 I'm more than happy. My other half isn't like.

You should e-mail Maplin about the website mistake and either try and blag a satfinder kit or get them to remove the reference as it's against the Sale of Goods Act to misrepresent something for sale (or is it only an online offer?)

I'm pleased that you've got a signal. Turn it to 30W after midnight (after you OH has gone to bed) :eek:
  • YorkshireTeaYorkshireTea Posts: 1,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get good signals on 19.2east and 5w when its raining really bad with no picture breakup with the 35cm black dish.

Hotbird is quite weak on this dish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The satfinder they talk about is kind of two fold - first you get a really cruddy compass that points just about anywhere but south, and the second is built into the receiver...

...just tune the receiver into a channel you interested in, press info and you will get up the quality/signal bars, then press 1 and you will hear a tone that goes up in pitch as the signal improves. Just whack up the telly volume so you can hear it outside... the picture will start to show around 50% quality, but you should have no problem hitting 75-80% with this method.

It's not ideal if your telly is in the lounge and you're hanging off the chimney, but I found it pretty easy to use (I live in a bungalow, and the dish is fixed at ground level)...