Options

Moving Abroad - Would you pay your debts?

N-I-C-KN-I-C-K Posts: 3,268
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a interesting question... right here we go.

Your planning on emigrating to Australia, you have a few credit card debts, an overdraft and a small bank loan. In total say £6000.

Would you carry on paying them off, pay them off in full before you left or slope off without telling them you were emigrating.

Just interesting to read what other people whould do. :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would end up paying or go bankrupt before clearing off.
    Not sure if it's the case but someone said to me before if your out of the country for 7 years the debt gets wiped, probably just a bullshit billy:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would end up paying or go bankrupt before clearing off.
    Not sure if it's the case but someone said to me before if your out of the country for 7 years the debt gets wiped, probably just a bullshit billy:D

It's 6 years I think... If you can't be contacted regarding a debt after this time, although they can still chase you for the money it can't be taken to court.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you own money on credit cards, loans etc and you move abroad, you don't have to pay anything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would want to pay off everything before I left. I would want a fresh start without anything left hanging over my head.

http://ezinearticles.com/?UK-Debt-When-Moving-Abroad&id=6081
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends if you move to a country that doesn't have an extradition agreement in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if you move to a country that doesn't have an extradition agreement in place.

How would the debt collectors know that you've emigrated, as far as they were aware you could of moved 2 streets away - never mind the other side of the world.

I can't decide myself what i'd do, I suppose if they can't find you they would chase your family. But I suppose if you don't have any family (well not any you like) and are not planning on moving back home - WHY NOT?
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of my mates looked into emigrating to Oz a while back, apparently they will only let you in after doing a very, very thorough check. I'm guessing owing that amount of money may come up somewhere along the line...........

Good thought though!!
  • Options
    HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N-I-C-K wrote: »

Your planning on emigrating to Australia, you have a few credit card debts, an overdraft and a small bank loan. In total say £6000.

Would you carry on paying them off, pay them off in full before you left or slope off without telling them you were emigrating.

noooooooo just go.. what the hell
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello?
    Australia is hardly 5 months sea voyage away these days... with phone and internet etc it would be silly to think that they wouldn't catch up with you
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Id get as much from the loan sellers as I could and be off like a shot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont know if this is true or not but a friend of my sister in law's moved to fuerta ventura (spelling) and i know its not oz but she says she left a lot of debt at home and is not allowed back into the country unless it is paid back, i ont know how they know where she is or anything.

I would imagine though that australia would be right on top of things though considering it is so hard to emmigrate there in the first place you have to have x amount of £'s and have a profession etc and they do a lot of background checks before they will consider allowing you in.
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not believe in using credit cards for running up debt. I only ever use mine for emergencies. I also do not have an overdraft.
    I would however pay any outstanding bills before I emigrated & make sure all my finances were in order.
    You never know when you may need to come back to the country.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the in laws emigrated years ago they ran up huge bills before leaving, they done the same when moving from Spain to the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can barely keep up with them in THIS country :(
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    When the in laws emigrated years ago they ran up huge bills before leaving, they done the same when moving from Spain to the US.
    They sound just like my (former) in-laws.... out-laws more like!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacquiann wrote: »
    I do not believe in using credit cards for running up debt. I only ever use mine for emergencies. I also do not have an overdraft.
    I would however pay any outstanding bills before I emigrated & make sure all my finances were in order.
    You never know when you may need to come back to the country.

Are you married :confused:

If not, why not ????

I think I'm in love :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd try to clear the debts before I left the country. None of us know what the future holds, & you might find you unexpectedly need to return to the UK to live, or the country you go to might set up an agreement with the UK regarding tracing debtors. People are so much more easily found these days - people use credit cards in shops & ATMs, have bills in their name, shop online etc. If I was going overseas to start a new life, it would be extra pressure to remember not to do anything that might lead to me being found. I don't think I'd want that, even if I could cope with it, which I doubt.
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify things :-

If you leave the country you must ensure that all of your creditors change your account address to the foreign one.

Once the address on the account has been changed, it is impossible for them to blacklist you or take you to court - you have to be a UK resident for this to happen.

As for extradition, this only happens in criminal cases and as debt is a matter for the civil courts, there is nothing they can do (unless they believe fraud has been committed).

If you return to the UK, as long as they can't find you, which they often don't due to resources, you effectively 'get away with it'.

After 6 years they are not able to take any action of the debt.

I know, I have unintentionally been in this exact situation as described above.
  • Options
    jezzerjezzer Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just remember that you might have to move back,if you do you are going to be hit fast

once you are in debt and you try to apply for tv licence gas/water etc you will find out that it wasn't a good idea not to pay your debts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't chance it when it comes to Australia, as there is some sort of agreement with Australia in place. One of my relatives (by marriage) left Australia to live in the UK for a few years. She went back to Australia on holiday expecting a tax rebate, but instead found that not only did she not get a rebate, the tax office told her she owed them money. She didn't pay it, & came back to the UK - when she started work, the tax office back home was informed & money was deducted from her salary earned here at source to pay them. It wasn't just tax she owed either. When she tried to get a credit card & was turned down, she got a copy of her credit file & found details relating to her Australian credit card debts & a loan there. She's back in Australia now (probably for good), & has found her credit records now also show her UK debts on them. She now has to pay all those debts off if she's to have any hope of credit either there or in the UK in the future - her UK credit file will be affected for 6 years, I don't know about the Australian credit reference agencies.

The debts have also affected her freedom to travel. She was born in Australia, but has received a letter advising her that, until the debts are cleared or satisfied, if she leaves Australia for more than 3 months and wishes to return, she will be expected to provide the same level of financial information as someone wishing to emigrate would have been. In Australia, other than her Single Parent Pension and help with housing, she's not entitled to any help whatsoever, & therefore has to work to pay her way, with part of her salary going to pay her debts. She wasn't entitled to benefits in the UK until she got her residency sorted out (5 years, I think), but now she's been told that if she returns to the UK, any benefits she's entitled to may be subject to deductions. She's now wishing she'd never left the debts behind the first time - so much does hang on them being able to find you, but it's actually quite hard to hide unless you've got a lot of resources to help you do it, especially if you have family, want/need to work etc. One debt can affect many other areas of your life. If you can pay up, I think it's better to do so even if you'd rather not. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member

Pay them. If you ever have to return to the UK to live again you would have great difficulty getting credit or accommodation to rent.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i wouldn't like to carry the bad credit records over with me. In this electronic age, your so easily tracked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I know someone from New Zealand who did that. She then came back here with fake documents or something. She changed her name too. I don't know if it was a legal name change.

Either way, far too much hassle. People need to repay their debts especially if the debt is over luxury items.:confused:

I wouldn't chance it when it comes to Australia, as there is some sort of agreement with Australia in place. One of my relatives (by marriage) left Australia to live in the UK for a few years. She went back to Australia on holiday expecting a tax rebate, but instead found that not only did she not get a rebate, the tax office told her she owed them money. She didn't pay it, & came back to the UK - when she started work, the tax office back home was informed & money was deducted from her salary earned here at source to pay them. It wasn't just tax she owed either. When she tried to get a credit card & was turned down, she got a copy of her credit file & found details relating to her Australian credit card debts & a loan there. She's back in Australia now (probably for good), & has found her credit records now also show her UK debts on them. She now has to pay all those debts off if she's to have any hope of credit either there or in the UK in the future - her UK credit file will be affected for 6 years, I don't know about the Australian credit reference agencies.

The debts have also affected her freedom to travel. She was born in Australia, but has received a letter advising her that, until the debts are cleared or satisfied, if she leaves Australia for more than 3 months and wishes to return, she will be expected to provide the same level of financial information as someone wishing to emigrate would have been. In Australia, other than her Single Parent Pension and help with housing, she's not entitled to any help whatsoever, & therefore has to work to pay her way, with part of her salary going to pay her debts. She wasn't entitled to benefits in the UK until she got her residency sorted out (5 years, I think), but now she's been told that if she returns to the UK, any benefits she's entitled to may be subject to deductions. She's now wishing she'd never left the debts behind the first time - so much does hang on them being able to find you, but it's actually quite hard to hide unless you've got a lot of resources to help you do it, especially if you have family, want/need to work etc. One debt can affect many other areas of your life. If you can pay up, I think it's better to do so even if you'd rather not. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would the debt collectors know that you've emigrated, as far as they were aware you could of moved 2 streets away - never mind the other side of the world.

I can't decide myself what i'd do, I suppose if they can't find you they would chase your family. But I suppose if you don't have any family (well not any you like) and are not planning on moving back home - WHY NOT?

Because it's stealing - why do people think it's OK? :confused:
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a few people who have left to go to Oz, and they left varying degress of debt, one of them a few hundred pounds, they had contacted the bank and told them they were moving and passed on contact details but the bank didnt bother to chase them up. Another took the complete p1ss and made sure they got as many loans and racked up thier credit cards.

Of course they got checked before they left (i think criminal records are given a good going over) but as they didnt fall behind til they got there, they got away with it. Aparently you start with a clean slate there anyway.

I imagine its highly unlikely they will catch up with them. what is barclaycard going to do, send the baliffs to australia??? The creditors will just write the debt off.
    pluck fest wrote: »
    Pay them. If you ever have to return to the UK to live again you would have great difficulty getting credit or accommodation to rent.

True, but everyone I know that has ever emigrated to australia or wherever, never wants to come back! :p