Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Want Sky but no BT line

Old 12-11-2007, 20:42
wah_wah
Forum Member

Newbie here - looking to move from freeview to Sky.
I was after a Virgin bundle for tv, phone , broadband but as I'm not with BT, I would have needed a new phone number which I didn't want. My telephone provider is Talk Talk ( it was OneTel when I left BT). Bradband thru Orange.
All Sky's material refers to needing a BT line also. Does that mean I can't get the tv/ phone/ broadband bundle frm Sky either ?
And if I elect for just Sky TV only, do they need to install some other type of line to pass data between me and them..?
Would I be better just going back to BT..?

thanks in advance...
WW
wah_wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-11-2007, 20:43
mattshenton
Inactive Member

you don't need bt line, a virgin line will do.

if you pay 25 extra to sky you don't need a phone line at all
mattshenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 23:28
Orry Verducci
Forum Member

If your telephone provider is TalkTalk, then you should have a BT Line, as TalkTalk don't provide lines, BT do. TalkTalk is just your phone operator, it's still BT's network. BT Line or not though, Sky are happy to install without. If you have a Virgin Line (just about the only alternative to a BT Line), you can connect the Sky Box to the Virgin line as if it were a BT Line. If you have no phone at all, provided you aren't getting Sky Multiroom, you can pay 25 extra to get out the 12 month phone line connection requirement.
Orry Verducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 23:31
Daveoc64
Forum Member

You only need a "BT Line" if you want to get Sky Broadband and/or Sky Talk.

If you just want Sky TV any phone line will do - including a Virgin Media line or any BT based provider.
Daveoc64 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:28
Valleyman00
Forum Member

As previous op's said. for TV you dont need a BT line. any phone line that works will do.

But if you want the phone and broadband from Sky. you'll need to get your talktalk line back over to BT as they are physically the same thing, but its just TalkTalk have it just now.

then once BT have it active under them, Sky can place the phone and broadband order.
Valleyman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:36
TheFirstCut
Inactive Member

Newbie here - looking to move from freeview to Sky.
I was after a Virgin bundle for tv, phone , broadband but as I'm not with BT, I would have needed a new phone number which I didn't want. My telephone provider is Talk Talk ( it was OneTel when I left BT). Bradband thru Orange.
All Sky's material refers to needing a BT line also. Does that mean I can't get the tv/ phone/ broadband bundle frm Sky either ?
And if I elect for just Sky TV only, do they need to install some other type of line to pass data between me and them..?
Would I be better just going back to BT..?

thanks in advance...
WW

If all you are after is Sky Digital TV, then any working phone line will do, it's never been a requirement it has to be BT.

If you are having just the single box, once the installer has gone you can disconnect from the line if you wish.

Sky go on about a BT line as this is for them to offer their broadband or phone service.
TheFirstCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 01:16
raven810
Forum Member

You can even get skyplus now without a phoneline, just 25 pounds extra...go for it. You will never regret it.
raven810 is offline   Reply With Quote