Virgin Media OnDemand Fault?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
I have been unable to access on demand all day today. I get a message telling me it is 'temporarily unavailable'. Is anyone else experiencing this? I can't bear the thought of having to call them again (I have to do this at least once a month).

Comments

• TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I have been unable to access on demand all day today. I get a message telling me it is 'temporarily unavailable'. Is anyone else experiencing this? I can't bear the thought of having to call them again (I have to do this at least once a month).

Why call them?

If you also have broadband from Virgin, simply post in their support newsgroups.

For TV: virginmedia.support.tv

( If xNTL use: news.cable.ntlworld.com

If xBY use: text.news.virginmedia.com

for the News Server ).

You could try the 230v mains reset, might have to do that 2 or 3 times.

Also check whether there's a local / national fault at: http://status2.virginmedia.com/

and / or: The status line on: 0800 561 0061
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    How do I post a TV Interactive fault on the faults page?
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    How do I post a TV Interactive fault on the faults page?

You don't.

You need to contact support, you can do that by posting in the support newsgroup.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't look at 'On demand' very often but I was getting that message on Monday and Tuesday..........haven't checked since then..........
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been unavailable here for the past two or three weeks! Error code: 1021
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK here in NW London.

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reboot the box, mine does it all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    It's been unavailable here for the past two or three weeks! Error code: 1021

That wont get fixed til you call faults, probably need a tech
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    israel01 wrote: »
    Just reboot the box, mine does it all the time.

Every time I've done this, the on demand stuff works again.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Every time I've done this, the on demand stuff works again.

Yep, works for me everytime too. I lose EPG info regular too. I don't bother with a tech it don't take me 2 mins to reset the box and have it up and working again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I had no interactive functions this morning. I rebooted but it still took half an hour (to load I guess) before it started working again.

Oddly enough my bb has only just started working as well. It's been flashing like a disco all morning.
  • mastermindmastermind Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As there is a fault regarding this in Edinburgh, and I believe it also to affect other areas now, can I ask anyone that uses Virgin Media on demand TV catch up to report if they are still experiencing viewing problems while watching anything on their catch up service.

Thanks in advance.
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    mastermind wrote: »
    As there is a fault regarding this in Edinburgh, and I believe it also to affect other areas now, can I ask anyone that uses Virgin Media on demand TV catch up to report if they are still experiencing viewing problems while watching anything on their catch up service.

Thanks in advance.

We have had problems for a week or two when watching on demand. The picture will sometimes freeze or break up and go all pixelated. Today I tried to reboot and now I think the box has died:confused: When I plugged back in the display is almost blank apart from a very faint flickering of the words "standby, modem & remote" and it looked like any minute they will go blank too. I wished I hadn't tried to reboot now but it's the first thing they tell you to do. No TV till Thursday:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxysiren wrote: »
    We have had problems for a week or two when watching on demand. The picture will sometimes freeze or break up and go all pixelated. Today I tried to reboot and now I think the box has died:confused: When I plugged back in the display is almost blank apart from a very faint flickering of the words "standby, modem & remote" and it looked like any minute they will go blank too. I wished I hadn't tried to reboot now but it's the first thing they tell you to do. No TV till Thursday:mad:

Strange, have you tried again this morning?

Can I ask where in the country you are based?

Looks like just a coincidence that your box was about to go during this time.

Please report back with updates.

Thank you.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also lost on demand services yesterday afternoon but it was working fine up until about 1pm. 1021 code error message showing up. Have reboooted the box a few times with no change. I checked the service status page yesterday to see if anything had been posted but nothing had so thought it was just me.

Just checked again after reading this thread and it is still down. Birmingham B45 area for reference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also lost on demand services yesterday afternoon but it was working fine up until about 1pm. 1021 code error message showing up. Have reboooted the box a few times with no change. I checked the service status page yesterday to see if anything had been posted but nothing had so thought it was just me.

Just checked again after reading this thread and it is still down. Birmingham B45 area for reference.

When you re-booted did you just press the front button till you saw STOP, or did you take out the power for 10 seconds and turn it back on again?
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tried both methods with no luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tried both methods with no luck.

Go into option 8 settings, then option 6 tech stuff, I bet it has 0.0.0.0 for the IP address. If it does then this is what happened to me.

I would wait till later this evening, then ring 151, option 2, then 1, and wait till you hear a message telling you to do what I asked you to do earlier, because as soon as I did this the IP address came back to normal, and the on-demand service was fully restored.
  • maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever it doesn't work,ring them and ask for £10 off your next bill...you dont pay to look at a blank screen or en error message
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever it doesn't work,ring them and ask for £10 off your next bill...you dont pay to look at a blank screen or en error message

If you're on XL then you don't pay for VOD.

This sort of comment is typical of Britain today.

If it doesn't work - Phone faults! Its not difficult, the faults guys are UK based, and you're guaranteed to get the problem sorted. Don't bitch and moan about the fact it hasn't worked for X number of days - if it doesn't work, PHONE VIRGIN!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    If you're on XL then you don't pay for VOD.

This sort of comment is typical of Britain today.

If it doesn't work - Phone faults! Its not difficult, the faults guys are UK based, and you're guaranteed to get the problem sorted. Don't bitch and moan about the fact it hasn't worked for X number of days - if it doesn't work, PHONE VIRGIN!

Eh, calm down, you are wrong on many things here, firstly it CAN be difficult to speak with anyone in faults, obviously you have never had to wait around 15 -20 minutes then get cut off.

Secondly, when I did manage to speak to faults they were based in India, so I don't know were you get that they are UK based.

You say we are guaranteed to get the problem sorted, again you are mistaken, I have had a problem with VOD for a month now, and have required 2 tech visits and still it's not fixed!

And whether or not a customer pays for the service or not doesn't really make a difference, if it's part of the TV set up then Virgin Media should be fixing the fault and automatically reducing the bill by a certain amount.

So before you come on here bitching at a members post have a thought first.

:rolleyes:
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mastermind wrote: »
    Eh, calm down, you are wrong on many things here

Sorry Sir, obviously my opinions aren't valid around you.
    I should have stated in my experience on some of those points.
    , firstly it CAN be difficult to speak with anyone in faults, obviously you have never had to wait around 15 -20 minutes then get cut off.
    I have had to call Faults of an evening a number of times now and I have never spoken to an Indian. I always get through to the UK call centres having called 151 from the landline. My friend, who's set top box recently blew up, called 151 and got straight through to a Welshman.
    Secondly, when I did manage to speak to faults they were based in India, so I don't know were you get that they are UK based.
    I'm only talking about my experiences, which, as we know, are not valid.
    You say we are guaranteed to get the problem sorted, again you are mistaken, I have had a problem with VOD for a month now, and have required 2 tech visits and still it's not fixed!
    Theres always a minority, perhaps I should have said "for the most part, you're guaranteed".
    And whether or not a customer pays for the service or not doesn't really make a difference, if it's part of the TV set up then Virgin Media should be fixing the fault and automatically reducing the bill by a certain amount.
    Virgin do not know if there is a fault or not until one tells them that there is a problem. Don't expect to be compensated for a problem you have just sat on for a few months.

What would be stopping me calling them up tomorrow and claiming that my Broadband hasn't been working for 3 months and I'd like to be compensated?
    So before you come on here bitching at a members post have a thought first.

:rolleyes:
    Oh I did have a thought first, but as my views don't match yours my thoughts, experiences and opinions are obviously not valid.

Massive edit:
    In fact, I recall I have spoken to the Indian call centre with regards to a fault - however it was still resolved swiftly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »

The 151 line for TV at least is sometimes answered in the UK if you are lucky. I have found recently that getting them to recognise there is a problem, even with multiple customers reporting it in an area, is nigh on impossible (link).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I've had my v-box for a week now and twice I have had to ring them up using the 151 from my landline and waited min 20mins and both times I have been put through to a Indian call center.

Plus couldn't understand what what they were say nor could they understand me had to put my partner on instead as I was feeling like a fool.

Also on demand didn't work tonight said try again later I did and now it is working.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I get this all the time, they have told me I need an engineer out but I can't be bothered to stay in and book an appointment. On demand has only ever worked 50% of the time and I get a 4 digit error code the rest of the time 3045 or something I cant remember the exact number.

It happened on my old box at another address too which was in a different town (different county) and I know they swapped the V+ box when I moved because they weren't compatible apparently and I know they swapped it because the 'new' (2nd hand) box they gave me sounds like it's grinding rock inside when it's recording.