Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Wrong Region Set on New Sky Box - Help Please

Old 22-11-2007, 10:40
Jamesessex69
Forum Member

A Colleague of mine has finally had Sky+ fitted however he has had BBC East set as default, rather than BBC London.

Can this be changed? If so how?

Many Thanks
Jamesessex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:47
pkc
Forum Member

A Colleague of mine has finally had Sky+ fitted however he has had BBC East set as default, rather than BBC London.

Can this be changed? If so how?

Many Thanks
Its done by SKY via the postcode.. Depending on his postcode, he could be seen by them as being in the BBC East Region.
pkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 10:48
Digifriendly
Forum Member

Simply ring up Sky and tell them wrong region is set. If card in box is registered to address in BBC London region they should reset region over the 'phone. AFAIK BBC London is actually default setting for boxes with no card or cards not yet activated.
Digifriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 10:49
Dot Cotton
Forum Member

My Sky Digital box went mad once although I live in East London I got Central West late news I was laying in bed confused!!!!
Dot Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 10:52
Digifriendly
Forum Member

My Sky Digital box went mad once although I live in East London I got Central West late news I was laying in bed confused!!!!
ITV Central West is ITV region default on Sky boxes without card or card not activated!
Old 22-11-2007, 10:57
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Simply ring up Sky and tell them wrong region is set. If card in box is registered to address in BBC London region they should reset region over the 'phone. AFAIK BBC London is actually default setting for boxes with no card or cards not yet activated.
Except Sky aren't allowed to change it, it's set from data provided by the BBC based on the postcode if the card has been genuinely set to the wrong region for the postcode supplied, then they can probably correct it - but if that's the correct region for the postcode then you're stuck with it.

However, he's not mentioned either the area, or the postcode - so who knows?.
Nigel Goodwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 11:12
pkc
Forum Member

Except Sky aren't allowed to change it, it's set from data provided by the BBC based on the postcode if the card has been genuinely set to the wrong region for the postcode supplied, then they can probably correct it - but if that's the correct region for the postcode then you're stuck with it.

However, he's not mentioned either the area, or the postcode - so who knows?.

I get BBC South on terrestial and Freeview and BBC south East on my digibox.. So somebody somewhere has made a big fubar.
Old 22-11-2007, 11:13
pkc
Forum Member

ITV Central West is ITV region default on Sky boxes without card or card not activated!

Mine on Reboot and no card says "BBC London"
Old 22-11-2007, 11:23
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I get BBC South on terrestial and Freeview and BBC south East on my digibox.. So somebody somewhere has made a big fubar.
Not really, you're probably getting your terrestrial TV reception from outside your geographical area. I'm the same, I get Yorkshire terrestrially (from Emley Moor), yet my Sky region is East Midlands.

What you get terrestrially has no bearing on your correct region.
Old 22-11-2007, 13:07
Digifriendly
Forum Member

Mine on Reboot and no card says "BBC London"
It was ITV region I referred to not BBC as you rightly quoted me! Default is BBC London for BBC region and ITV Central West for ITV region!
Old 22-11-2007, 13:16
Digifriendly
Forum Member

Not really, you're probably getting your terrestrial TV reception from outside your geographical area. I'm the same, I get Yorkshire terrestrially (from Emley Moor), yet my Sky region is East Midlands.

What you get terrestrially has no bearing on your correct region.
If this last comment is correct are there not a considerable amount of people out there who have Sky Digital with a region different to the region on their analogue or Freeview (if they have it) ? For those who have converted completely over to Sky and no longer have either analogue and do not have Freeview and they want to timer record say their local news is this not a problem as their local ITV region can only be added under 'Other Channels' (except it is ITV London) and is not on the EPG or am I wrong here? Also won't new BBC/ITV Freesat be the answer for these people as all ITV regions will be on EPG?
Old 22-11-2007, 15:23
rai uno
Inactive Member

Also won't new BBC/ITV Freesat be the answer for these people as all ITV regions will be on EPG?
Difficult one: Regionalisation is still an issue. Advertisers needs have to be satisfied, so free access needs to be looked at very carefully.

That said, any of us can view other regions whether on a custom EPG (Sky of PSB Freesat, or whatever) anyway.
rai uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 15:23
pkc
Forum Member

It was ITV region I referred to not BBC as you rightly quoted me! Default is BBC London for BBC region and ITV Central West for ITV region!
My box showed ITV SE I think - lol.. I know it said. It would be nice if SKY allowed users to configure their region via mysky.
Old 22-11-2007, 15:25
pkc
Forum Member

If this last comment is correct are there not a considerable amount of people out there who have Sky Digital with a region different to the region on their analogue or Freeview (if they have it) ? For those who have converted completely over to Sky and no longer have either analogue and do not have Freeview and they want to timer record say their local news is this not a problem as their local ITV region can only be added under 'Other Channels' (except it is ITV London) and is not on the EPG or am I wrong here? Also won't new BBC/ITV Freesat be the answer for these people as all ITV regions will be on EPG?
Drive my neighbours mad.. We have SKY on BBC 1 SE and FREEVIEW on BBC 1 South.. at the same time, not only is there a delay, but there is program differences.
Old 22-11-2007, 15:39
sodafountain
Forum Member

I presume it comes down to you receiving your analogue transmission from a different transmitter than you should?

In a perfect world, your postcode would tie you to a certain area, and you receive your telly from the transmitter for that area.

Of course, in the real world, it doesn't work like that, there might be a hill in the way, so you get your telly from a different mast, which happens to be classed as a different area, but as everyone in your area gets the same, you assume thats the correct transmission for your area.

But along come Sky, where hills don't matter for masts, and you get what is supposed to be your region, but you think it's wrong, because you never used to get that one.

Is that maybe how it works?
sodafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 17:20
SilentLoner
Forum Member

Its alot simpler in Wales, we all get one region (drives me mad we get adverts saying "new store open!!" and its in Cardiff etc!!) Also hate how the weather reports on news channels just go " its going to be a cold one in wales. Its a big place you know :P
SilentLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 17:26
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

My box showed ITV SE I think - lol.. I know it said. It would be nice if SKY allowed users to configure their region via mysky.
Don't blame Sky, the allocations are done by the BBC and IBA, presumably it's them who set the restrictions?. They pay Sky a considerable amount of money for this service, and Sky are bound to follow their instructions.
Old 22-11-2007, 17:49
rai uno
Inactive Member

Don't blame Sky, the allocations are done by the BBC and IBA
IBA defunct circa 1990/1991.

Gosh, you must be very, very old!

I know I am
rai uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 17:52
SilentLoner
Forum Member

iba??
Old 22-11-2007, 17:56
Rick Shutterman
Forum Member

Strange things do happen though

When we were living in Orpington we got London ITV1 but BBC South East on the Digibox.

Freeview was London as that came from Crystal Palace
Rick Shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 18:09
Analoguesat
Forum Member

Independant Broadcasting Authority

A long gone organisation
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 19:28
SilentLoner
Forum Member

haha, maybe it should of been needed with all the phone in things lol
Old 24-11-2007, 15:14
Martyn1
Forum Member

Why is the default ITV region Central West???

Surely it should be ITV1 London????? It seams strange for ITV to use Central as the default! Its like them using UTV as a default? Not right!
Martyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 16:04
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Why is the default ITV region Central West???

Surely it should be ITV1 London????? It seams strange for ITV to use Central as the default! Its like them using UTV as a default? Not right!
Probably because it's in the middle of the country?, makes more sense than using London that's way down South!.
Old 24-11-2007, 16:13
cowman
Forum Member

Probably because it's in the middle of the country?, makes more sense than using London that's way down South!.
I think it is because the ITV Duty Office is based at the old Carlton Central base at Gas Street in Birmingham. Are people aware that the old ATV Centre not far away from the above is being demolished, part of the fall out of a single ITV company
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote