Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How much for a new clutch?

Old 22-11-2007, 12:15
Charlie Coo
Forum Member

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of you have had a new clutch fitted and how much it cost - want to check if I'm being ripped off (don't think I am but then I don't know much about it!)

Ta
C
Charlie Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-11-2007, 12:17
A-Friend
Forum Member

Call a few different garages and ask them to quote you a price. If you want comments from here it will also help to tell us the car model and age. Check spares websites as well.
A-Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 12:20
Charlie Coo
Forum Member

Thanks a friend - well it's a peugeot 106 and it's 12 years old. I've actually gone ahead and told them to do it (took it in for something else and they noticed it - I'm new to driving and just thought there was a high biting point) they're charging me 355 including labour - did they see me coming?
Old 22-11-2007, 12:22
stephenc40
Forum Member

they seen you coming i had a 106 quiksilver 2000 reg and i got mine for 110. im thinking yours would have been a bit cheaper because it was a bit older? you should have tried the back street garages! that is if they are only doing the clutch and nothing else
stephenc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 12:24
jasvinyl
Forum Member

Thanks a friend - well it's a peugeot 106 and it's 12 years old. I've actually gone ahead and told them to do it (took it in for something else and they noticed it - I'm new to driving and just thought there was a high biting point) they're charging me 355 including labour - did they see me coming?

Hmmm, seems a bit high to me. We had ours done the other week, on a less common model of car (Fiat Doblo) and it was 230.00 all in. Still, the quotes we got ranged as high as 700+
jasvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 12:29
Charlie Coo
Forum Member

You know when you wish you hadn't asked something to be honest I'm going on a long journey this weekend so really needed to get it done - I'll just have to swallow it and shop around next time!

Thanks for your replies!
Old 22-11-2007, 12:41
Errodiel
Forum Member

Remember that the difference in price is all in the labour - it might just be that you live in a more expensive area when it comes to garages! But it always pays to shop around if you can
Errodiel is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 13:05
stephenc40
Forum Member

i tend to like the back street garages as they appreciate you more and dont charge you as much as the big shops would. plus they can normally fit you in straight away and they do a good job!
Old 22-11-2007, 23:19
SuperFool
Forum Member

A 12 year old Peugeot 106 wouldn't be worth much more than 355 I should expect...
SuperFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 23:39
Rebel MC
Forum Member

And this is where it always goes wrong.

One poster suggests that because a car is slightly older, it should cost less, but why?

The older car might use a less in demand componant that costs more, plus it's been subject to more wear and corrosion, so it might take longer to take apart and cost a bit more in replacing parts that break when you try and remove them (and by the way stephenc40, can you tell me where you can get a clutch done by a reputable garage on a 106 for 110 including all parts, labour and VAT, I'll farm all my future 106 clutches out to them)

Another suggests that a totally different make and model of car cost them less for the same job, but that's like comparing chalk and cheese.

If it's any consolation Charlie, on the face of it 355 doesn't sound massively OTT, if you could just tell me what engine your car has got and (if you're remotely interested) I'll check on the what I would charge you and report back tomorrow.
Rebel MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 09:03
bigc127
Forum Member

Look, my Alfa needed a new clutch in February after the snow and my poor driving. It cost me over 500 as they had to take the whole front end off. It aint a cheap job. I would snap their hands off at just over 350
bigc127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 09:18
stephenc40
Forum Member

And this is where it always goes wrong.

One poster suggests that because a car is slightly older, it should cost less, but why?

The older car might use a less in demand componant that costs more, plus it's been subject to more wear and corrosion, so it might take longer to take apart and cost a bit more in replacing parts that break when you try and remove them (and by the way stephenc40, can you tell me where you can get a clutch done by a reputable garage on a 106 for 110 including all parts, labour and VAT, I'll farm all my future 106 clutches out to them)

Another suggests that a totally different make and model of car cost them less for the same job, but that's like comparing chalk and cheese.

If it's any consolation Charlie, on the face of it 355 doesn't sound massively OTT, if you could just tell me what engine your car has got and (if you're remotely interested) I'll check on the what I would charge you and report back tomorrow.

Maybe its where you live. i got quoted close to 300 from kwik fit bit more from another big garage then went down a back street garage that could fit me in the next day and orderd the part straight away. 110 pound for a clutch kit and i was on my way! i live in warrington btw if you wanted to know!
Old 23-11-2007, 10:02
the chimp
Forum Member

Look, my Alfa needed a new clutch in February after the snow and my poor driving. It cost me over 500 as they had to take the whole front end off. It aint a cheap job. I would snap their hands off at just over 350
Cost me 330 when I had it done on my old 156, but 600 in my van as they had to take the engine out to get at it (thank god that one was tax deductable )
the chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 10:10
paulyoung666
Forum Member

110 pound for a clutch kit and i was on my way!!

but was that including fitting as well
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 10:18
sallygill1961
Forum Member

when we had our car i always used a mobile mechanic i suppose it depends where you take it as well i presume dealerships are dearer
sallygill1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 10:32
Charlie Coo
Forum Member

Thanks all - I feel better about it now - am just pleased I'll have it sorted!
Old 23-11-2007, 18:46
Rebel MC
Forum Member

Well, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I did check and here's the result;

The parts cost vary depending on engine size, so I plumped for a 1.1 and the cheapest clutch I could find for that (that would be worth fitting) was 60.

The Autodata quoted time for fitting is 3.4 hours (for all models) but that assumes that everything comes apart easily and there are no other difficulties, so we'll add on a bit for unforseen extra problems and call it 4 hours.

My place is one of those 'back street garages' that has been mentioned, but we are in London, so we charge 55 per hour (typically about half the labour rate of main dealers locally).

So, add that lot up and put on the Chancellor's bit and you end up with 330; not a million miles from 355 and that's using cheaper than OE parts and not making a profit on them either.

There you go Charlie, you can be safe in the knowledge you weren't ripped off at all.
Old 23-11-2007, 18:59
fat controller
Forum Member

Without being too specific, where in London is your garage Rebel MC? Might be needing a clutch myself soon
fat controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 23:15
Sam Radford.
Forum Member

I got a clutch replaced on a Mk1 Astra some years ago. A few months later I was just coming home after a 400 mile round trip and the car lost all drive as if the clutch had broken! I was so close to home that I was able to coast up the street and onto my driveway. Turned out that the garage had missed out (or reused) a circlip - should always fit a new one. As a result, the drive shaft through the centre of the clutch had moved out 2 cm and was no longer connected to the clutch plate splines. (Getting technical here!)

Anyway, bottom line, be wary of a too-cheap job. I was lucky. If the darn thing had failed while I was overtaking, I could be dead.
Sam Radford. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 23:49
james_19742000
Forum Member

While we are talking about clutches, I have a Pug 406 1.9TD which I use for a general run around second car, it is reliable, clean, tidy etc very good for 1998 car, but the clutch doesnt have much left on it, I know there is no adjustment on these 406 clutches so it is a replacement job.

Anyone know how much roughly a replacement clutch for a 1900TD 1998 406 would be at all? I expect more than what the car is worth but I really dont want to bin the car, it is too good really.

Thanks in advance.

James
james_19742000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 00:13
Rebel MC
Forum Member

While we are talking about clutches, I have a Pug 406 1.9TD which I use for a general run around second car, it is reliable, clean, tidy etc very good for 1998 car, but the clutch doesnt have much left on it, I know there is no adjustment on these 406 clutches so it is a replacement job.

Anyone know how much roughly a replacement clutch for a 1900TD 1998 406 would be at all? I expect more than what the car is worth but I really dont want to bin the car, it is too good really.

Thanks in advance.

James
They aren't too bad to do, parts around 100, labour about 4 hours, plus the dreaded Vodka And Tonic, somewhere around 350 would (once again) be about right.
Old 24-11-2007, 07:48
paulyoung666
Forum Member

Well, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I did check and here's the result;

The parts cost vary depending on engine size, so I plumped for a 1.1 and the cheapest clutch I could find for that (that would be worth fitting) was 60.

The Autodata quoted time for fitting is 3.4 hours (for all models) but that assumes that everything comes apart easily and there are no other difficulties, so we'll add on a bit for unforseen extra problems and call it 4 hours.

My place is one of those 'back street garages' that has been mentioned, but we are in London, so we charge 55 per hour (typically about half the labour rate of main dealers locally).

So, add that lot up and put on the Chancellor's bit and you end up with 330; not a million miles from 355 and that's using cheaper than OE parts and not making a profit on them either.

There you go Charlie, you can be safe in the knowledge you weren't ripped off at all.

sounds right to me
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 10:49
Justmadeit
Forum Member

i guess it depends on the car, i paid about 150 for the clutch on my nissan micra to be replaced, shop around
Justmadeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 11:00
james_19742000
Forum Member

They aren't too bad to do, parts around 100, labour about 4 hours, plus the dreaded Vodka And Tonic, somewhere around 350 would (once again) be about right.
Thanks for that, the problem is that I have the old Peugeot as a run around and at the price that I paid I would struggle to get something else that is as good, so I figure that when it goes it would be better to spend money on getting it repaired than having to go out and find something to replace it with.

Appreciate the quick reply

James
james_19742000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 16:26
sarahcs
Forum Member

Mine cost me about 300 too. Rebel MC helped me with that too! (About a year ago)
sarahcs is offline   Reply With Quote