Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

self install sky+ box from currys?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32
manufan200
Forum Member

I am thinking about getting sky+ from currys for 29. Sky said if I buy a sky+ box from them (sky) I can install it myself and phone them to pair my viewing card with the sky+ box. Will I be able to buy a sky+ box from currys for 29 and install it myself or do you have pay 30 for installation
manufan200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:19
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I am thinking about getting sky+ from currys for 29. Sky said if I buy a sky+ box from them (sky) I can install it myself and phone them to pair my viewing card with the sky+ box. Will I be able to buy a sky+ box from currys for 29 and install it myself or do you have pay 30 for installation
No, Currys don't even sell Sky - and if they did, they wouldn't let you walk out with a box for 29.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22
manufan200
Forum Member

is there away i can order it then currys put on the order or phone sky and say "customer will self install" so I only pay 29
Old 10-12-2007, 13:08
riando
Forum Member

Nope they will have to install it.

It's only 30... you are getting a good deal.
riando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 13:13
manufan200
Forum Member

Nope they will have to install it.

It's only 30... you are getting a good deal.
Bugger! I am going to see if sky will give me a cheaper price because they said I can install myself if i want. I don't really want them coming round my house because the dish i have got on my house aint a sky dish and I have another dish set up in the back garden for non sky stuff
Old 10-12-2007, 13:25
R V
Forum Member

Bugger! I am going to see if sky will give me a cheaper price because they said I can install myself if i want. I don't really want them coming round my house because the dish i have got on my house aint a sky dish and I have another dish set up in the back garden for non sky stuff

That'll be Frankie Vaughan
R V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 13:28
riando
Forum Member

Sky will not let you self install. Regardless of what you a told by some sales target driven sales rep.

They may however give you free installation with the Sky+ for 49 offer.

Since you like dishes if you don't want them to touch an existing dish they can install another for you. Or run the cables yourself and and they guy that comes to install it will only have to put the box in.

If you do the cables yourself and all the guy has to do is deliver the box you may be able to moan about the 30 install fee and have it credited back to you. I have heard of this before.

But they will send an installer round whether he installs or not is upto you. They will not post the box.
Old 10-12-2007, 13:32
kmusgrave
Forum Member

No, Currys don't even sell Sky - and if they did, they wouldn't let you walk out with a box for 29.
They used to. I bought mine from there
kmusgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 15:04
Maclynn
Forum Member

Always installed my own. HD and Sky+ from Ebay.
Maclynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 15:46
riando
Forum Member

Always installed my own. HD and Sky+ from Ebay.
Yeah but eBay is not the cheapest option here. Not when you can get a brand new Sky+ installed by Sky for 59.

Doing a sell install you have:
* Sky+ box;
* Quad LND;
* Extra Cable;
& delivery to pay for.
Old 10-12-2007, 16:09
AmjidS
Forum Member

I always thought that 30 install fee was a good deal, considering the amount of additional equipment requried and the time it takes.
AmjidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 16:13
Fatwaz
Forum Member

they mean if you bought a sky box from sky which they would charge you 149 for then you can fit it yourself.currys have nothing to do with sky they only sign you up then pass your details on to sky so they won't give you a box no matter the price
Fatwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 16:33
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

They used to. I bought mine from there
Long time ago!
Old 10-12-2007, 16:34
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I always thought that 30 install fee was a good deal, considering the amount of additional equipment requried and the time it takes.
Yes, it's a great deal - heavily subsidised by Sky - an independent installer gets paid 60 for the install.
Old 10-12-2007, 16:43
antonymp5
Forum Member

I bought my Sky+ Pace V1 from Currys back in 2002 for about 300 and took it home too install it myself, I also took out an extended cover from Currys for 5 years, which was useless really as the box is still going to this day lol, now though I've upgraded it for a Pace V3.
antonymp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 20:55
davemurgatroyd
Forum Member

Currys were selling refurb 40Gb Sky+boxes very recently. Out of stock now but price quoted is 30 + 6.99 delivery, no mention whatsoever about installation or subscription requirements.
davemurgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote