Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can you buy alcohol in supermarkets 24/7?

Old 23-12-2007, 20:48
SteUK
Forum Member

Just wondering as i'm planning to go to Tesco tonight (00.01am!) I believe it used to be 8am - 11pm (I think?) in which people were able to purchase alcohol. Does anyone know when these hours were changed for the big stores - was in when the whole "24 hour drinking laws" were introduced? Or does it all just come down to individual stores and whether they have applied for the extended licenes?...do most supermarkets now sell it round the clock? It's a shame Tesco doesn't put the info for each store on it's website, although I could always phone I guess.

I believe in Scotland stores can open 24/7 all week if they want - out of interest does that apply to their licenses to sell booze aswell?
SteUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-12-2007, 20:52
Dissonance
Forum Member

I think it depends on the store itself, but as I am aware, Tesco now have a blanket licence for all their stores for the sale of alcohol at any time during the day.
Dissonance is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 20:55
Whirliegig
Forum Member

you can't buy alcohol in Scotland on a Sunday before 12 midday. (even chocolate liquers!)
Whirliegig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 20:57
herbthesherb

Just wondering as i'm planning to go to Tesco tonight (00.01am!) I believe it used to be 8am - 11pm (I think?) in which people were able to purchase alcohol. Does anyone know when these hours were changed for the big stores - was in when the whole "24 hour drinking laws" were introduced? Or does it all just come down to individual stores and whether they have applied for the extended licenes?...do most supermarkets now sell it round the clock? It's a shame Tesco doesn't put the info for each store on it's website, although I could always phone I guess.

I believe in Scotland stores can open 24/7 all week if they want - out of interest does that apply to their licenses to sell booze aswell?
Our local Tesco Express refused the bloke in front of me at 7.55am. The till will not work until 8.
Old 23-12-2007, 21:30
Collette
Forum Member

I didn't think Tescos were open on Sunday nights? It's the only night of the week that the 24 hour ones near us are closed - don't know whether it's different because it's near Christmas though, or maybe it's just individual stores?
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 21:50
SteUK
Forum Member

I didn't think Tescos were open on Sunday nights? It's the only night of the week that the 24 hour ones near us are closed - don't know whether it's different because it's near Christmas though, or maybe it's just individual stores?
In England and Wales the big stores are only allowed open on a Sunday for a max of 6 continuous hours (between the hours of 10am and 6pm), and most of them will then open at 8am on Monday, however there's nothing stopping them opening at a minute past midnight on Monday morning which is what a lot of them are doing this year what with Christmas eve falling on a Monday and the shorter hours the day before.
Old 23-12-2007, 22:06
mossy2103
Forum Member

As I understand it, individual Tescos stores apply for extended licences as necessary according to requirements. I am not aware that blanket ones could be issued (as they are at the behest of the Local Authorities who must also take into account any local objections).

Our Tesco Extra as a 24-hr licence (and I remember seeing the licence application in the local paper), whilst out Sainsbury's has an 8am-11pm licence (which is a bit silly as they open at 7:30 on a Saturday and thus cannot serve alcohol until 8am).
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 22:30
helo_75
Forum Member

tesco doesnt open sunday night, its only because its xmas eve, so theyre opening at 0.01, cos technically its a monday.. asda are doin it too, yet morrisons are waiting till 7
helo_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 22:35
ikkleosu
Forum Member

I'm in Scotland, so it may be different here but you can't buy booze after 10pm (or is it 10:30?) . I forgot about this, late night shopping tried to buy a Bailey's minature gift set and couldn't.
ikkleosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 23:45
JCR
Forum Member

In scotland the supermarkets can't sell booze after 10pm.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 00:13
Pint of Stella

you can't buy alcohol in Scotland on a Sunday before 12 midday. (even chocolate liquers!)
You actually can't buy booze on a Sunday before 12.30pm in Scotland. I know this as I've been caught out at our local Sainsbury's trying to buy a bottle of wine at 12.25pm on a Sunday - no dice, unless you're prepared to hang around and wait 'til 12.30.

I wasn't aware, as some others have said, that you couldn't buy booze after 10.30pm up here in off licences - is that right? Did you mean Sundays only?

Last edited by Pint of Stella : 24-12-2007 at 00:14. Reason: blithering idiot, now corrected it! :)
Old 24-12-2007, 01:08
SteUK
Forum Member

Having just got back from Tesco i'm pleased to say our does have a 24 hour licence, good job really as the place was packed even at midnight
Old 24-12-2007, 11:31
angel.vamp
Forum Member

Rules in Scotland are mon to sat 8am - 10pm and sundays 12.30pm-10pm
angel.vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 11:39
THR
Inactive Member

Sale restrictions are ridiculous. The only restriction should be that underaged people couldn't buy alcohol, they have plenty of time later on in their lives to ruin their health, but otherwise all restictions are counter-productive as people would just buy black bottles on the streets and those bottles can contain just about anything.
THR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 12:14
Hopeless_Savage
Forum Member

I remember a couple of years ago doing the midnight shop at asda (which is a waste of time, everyone has the same idea so its not less busy!!) They had the alcohol isles blocked off.
But of course since then, the 24 hour rule was passed. So like people said, it all depends whether that store in particular has applied for the licence.
Hopeless_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 12:45
k_2150
Forum Member

I must be lucky ... I live within 500 metres of a 24 hour mini-market which sells alcohol around the clock, I guess it must be OK because it's located directly opposite a Police station in N.London!
k_2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 18:58
Euan
Forum Member

Depends what shop go into although the law up here in Scotland has already been mentioned. Some shops block off the isles whereas most places just put up signs on the selves stating that alchohol cannot be purchased and the stands with alchohol are covered by netting. Personally I dont see the point in the law meaning that alchohol cant be bought before 12.30 but atleast the shops up here can open for how long they want instead of the 6h rule in England.
Euan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 02:50
Ego_Shredder
Forum Member

** Slightly off topic rant here so bear with me ***

I wish the government would not allow supermarkets to sell alcohol as it only encourages the wrong sort of people to take it home and get drunk, usually accompanied by loud music and hellish behaviour for hours. For any neighbours who are not yobs, this can over a period of time, be a very upsetting and soul destroying experience.

Restrict the sale of alcohol or push the price up......something has to be done now!
Ego_Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 10:05
_radioamerica
Forum Member

I wish the government would not allow supermarkets to sell alcohol as it only encourages the wrong sort of people to take it home and get drunk, usually accompanied by loud music and hellish behaviour for hours. For any neighbours who are not yobs, this can over a period of time, be a very upsetting and soul destroying experience.

Restrict the sale of alcohol or push the price up......something has to be done now!
So you think that because some people abuse it that someone who is who doesn't shouldn't be allowed to buy the odd bottle of wine or something with their shopping and should have to go somewhere else?

It doesn't encourage anyone. If supermarkets didn't sell it I'm sure that "yobs" would happily walk to their local offlicence.
_radioamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 11:32
TommyGavin76
Inactive Member

What a ridiculous statement, increasing the price of alcohol and restricting sale won't do a thing.
TommyGavin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 14:23
Ego_Shredder
Forum Member

Well if neither measure will work.......what can we do about it?

By the way I do not object to people buying wine to go with their meals or to cook with, but why have the supermarkets in the last few years started piling up huge stacks of bottled lager (Stella, Fosters etc) right by the front entrances? If that isn't encouraging people to buy in bulk and go home to drink it that day, well I don't know what is. I speak from my own experience here of observing how people near me behave, i.e. they are not the respectable types that want a nice bottle of wine with their meal. No they are yobs that come in and buy a twenty bottle case and walk home with it clutched to their chest, which looks really rough and common as you can imagine. Some grab a trolley and fill it ONLY with large cases of lager and again....no food or wine, they are simply yobs wanting to get drunk and cause trouble.

So I repeat...what are we the respectable 10% minority going to do about it?
Ego_Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:54
TommyGavin76
Inactive Member

Well if neither measure will work.......what can we do about it?

By the way I do not object to people buying wine to go with their meals or to cook with, but why have the supermarkets in the last few years started piling up huge stacks of bottled lager (Stella, Fosters etc) right by the front entrances? If that isn't encouraging people to buy in bulk and go home to drink it that day, well I don't know what is. I speak from my own experience here of observing how people near me behave, i.e. they are not the respectable types that want a nice bottle of wine with their meal. No they are yobs that come in and buy a twenty bottle case and walk home with it clutched to their chest, which looks really rough and common as you can imagine. Some grab a trolley and fill it ONLY with large cases of lager and again....no food or wine, they are simply yobs wanting to get drunk and cause trouble.

So I repeat...what are we the respectable 10% minority going to do about it?
I don't know, but increasing the price and restricting sale is proven not to work.
TommyGavin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 13:13
Rob Finlay
Banned User

I don't think supermarkets or convenience stores should be allowed to sell alcohol at all. It should be sold in government controlled off-licenses, at fixed prices, and no advertising of alcohol should be allowed. This system works very well in some US states and Canada, there is far less public disorder due to drunkeness there.
Rob Finlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 16:19
grumpyscot
Forum Member

I don't think supermarkets or convenience stores should be allowed to sell alcohol at all. It should be sold in government controlled off-licenses, at fixed prices, and no advertising of alcohol should be allowed. This system works very well in some US states and Canada, there is far less public disorder due to drunkeness there.
You've got a point there - don't think Tesco (who actually run UK plc) would be very happy though!

I certainly think retail prices of booze should be strictly controlled, and should not be sold to anyone under 21.
grumpyscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 16:41
AcerBen
Forum Member

If people want to get drunk in the privacy of their own home, that's their bloody choice !
AcerBen is offline   Reply With Quote