Nissan Micra Power Steering

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
Forum Member
I have a 06 plate Nissan Micra and today when I switched the engine on, the Power Steering light stayed on and the car has lost its power steering. Anybody know what the problem might be?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont know about Micra but possible cause is broken pump drive belt. This is easy to check
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Showed it to a mate, and he says all the belts seem fine. He was thinking it may have something to do with lack of fluid, but couldn't find anywhere the fluid could go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still under warranty isnt it. Take it back
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Thought Micra power steering was electric pump - so no drive belts. Anyway, what does the handbook say about that warning light. And if it's '06 it'll still be under warranty - so best contact the main dealer for advice.

EDIT - duffystev beat me to it on the warranty pont.
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Thought Micra power steering was electric pump - so no drive belts. Anyway, what does the handbook say about that warning light. And if it's '06 it'll still be under warranty - so best contact the main dealer for advice.

EDIT - duffystev beat me to it on the warranty pont.

i just had a look at the manual and it says that if the light remains on then contact the dealer. Looks as if I'm going to have to take it to the dealer's tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you are not a typical Micra driver? ;)

I had one today who cut me up on a roundabout and then proceeded to drive at about 20 mph! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Don't want to hijack this thread, sorry OP, but I have to agree. I travel all over the country and meet many "Micra" drivers and it seems that back home here in Leeds we have more than our fair share of them!!!

I'm sure some of them sit at home and think "What shall I do today? - I know I'll go for a drive and see how many people I can pi$$ off" or "Maybe I'll go on the motorway and sit in the middle lane at 50 with nothing else around me, thereby making 3 lanes into 1" or "Maybe I'll just put my sidelights on even though it's pitch black outside - I'm sure everyone will see me"

Shall I go on?

LCDMAN..........Knows exactly what you mean when you say "Micra driver!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    The power steering fluid often has a cap with steering wheel on it - if that's any help! Best get it checked out though.

My car had to be towed to the garage the other day because the power steering fluid pipe had melted through next to the exhaust! The engine was making a strange noise and there was smoke coming from under the bonnet :eek:
    Forum Member
    I looked to see if there was anywhere I could put some power steering fluid but there was no cap. I've booked it in with the dealers for Monday, so hopefully they should sort it out.

LCDMAN - I don't drive like that at all :D.
  • jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *taz* wrote: »
    I looked to see if there was anywhere I could put some power steering fluid but there was no cap. I've booked it in with the dealers for Monday, so hopefully they should sort it out.

LCDMAN - I don't drive like that at all :D.

maybe not buy you should still be ashamed! a grown man driving a..... i cant even say it! lol:D