Options

Birthday Present for an 18 year old boy

Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm hoping you kind folks can help me out. I know nothing about 18 year old boys since I was, well, about 18 I suppose.

My nephew is 18 next month. I don't see him very often and so we are not close and I don't really know a lot about what his likes and dislikes are. However, he is going to Australia at the end of February for a few months so I thought I might get him something that would be helpful while he is travelling. Any suggestions, please?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A phone call to ask what he wants or a cheque. Seriously!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bankgal wrote: »
    A phone call to ask what he wants or a cheque. Seriously!

Well I don't like giving money for presents - especially an 18th. And I would like it to be a surprise. I have asked my mum, who sees him fairly regularly, if she can try to find out what he wants and she will do that. But I just thought I might get a fresh angle on it from here.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iTunes vouchers? Then he can choose the music he wants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't like giving money for presents - especially an 18th. And I would like it to be a surprise. I have asked my mum, who sees him fairly regularly, if she can try to find out what he wants and she will do that. But I just thought I might get a fresh angle on it from here.

Normally, I would agree with you - as he is traveling, he may have specifics in mind. If not, the money would be a great help to him, even if it 'only' covers a night or two in a hostel! When I was planning my travels, many years ago - cash was my #1 priority!!

Hope your Mum gets a few good ideas! Hope she's notlike MY Mum (i.e. 'Bankgal wants it to be a surprise so won't ask what you want, you may as well tell me though'!!)
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much are you thinking of spending, Babe?
  • Options
    *Liam**Liam* Posts: 4,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im hoping for tonnes of money for my 18th in a fortnight...........:D:o
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Spearmint Rhino gift vouchers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I'm turning 18 in March, I would be happy with Topman, iTunes or HMV vouchers, but if I was moving to Australia I would probably want money to use once I get there.

But if you're really not comfortable in giving him money, you'll have to find out what he's interested in. Maybe a computer game or DVD?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also suggest money...I don't like giving it as a gift either, but it will really help in.

failing that how a bout a litre of vodka?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I also vote for money. Normally, I disapprove of giving money as presents (though not of receiving it) but in this case, he's making a big move and money would come in handy.
  • Options
    PopLarkinPopLarkin Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Lonely Planet guide to Australia would be handy.
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PopLarkin wrote: »
    Lonely Planet guide to Australia would be handy.

From my experience, when someone is going traveling, EVERYONE goes with this option.

Seriously, I bet he gets at least 2 or 3.

Id go for money as well, but since youve already said you don't want to give him that im not sure.

My aunt got me Premium Bonds for my 18th (and a bottle of Vodka :D ) and although it seems a tad dull, he certainly won't think that when he starts winning :)

Also from my experience, I would much rather get cash than a voucher. Someone always sends me a voucher for a shop that I don't normlly shop in, and I find myself in there just choosing something that I don't really want, because it has to be spent in there. Don't get me wrong, im greatful, but as a preference, id rather have cash to the same value :)

Good luck.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy him a nice new watch that has dual time or even better tells the time in different zones.

Get it engraved so that he'll always remember it was from his favourite Auntie Rainbow. :_)
  • Options
    RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about tickets to see something for whatever area he's going to? Eg Theatre tickets, sports match tickets, adventure day experience of some type?? Or if he's Backpacking - how about a big backpack??! You could even put some useful bits and pieces inside it, like cards!
  • Options
    UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a boring suggestion, but give him money. That's what I was most interested in having when I was 18!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not exciting, but how about a phone card? Do people still use those?
    Or some obscure, small, really handy gadget he might use in his travels.

Itunes vouchers is a good safe bet if he has an ipod.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah money is okay, sometimes I want money but you get a really good feeling from being given a present that you actually like and someone else has put thought and effort into.

I like the watch idea because its something he can keep forever and remember where it came from when he sees it. I was thinking personalised dog tags but everyone has those now.

Its probably not the same with lads but I was well chuffed when I got expensive (ish) perfume for my 16th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    iTunes vouchers? Then he can choose the music he wants.
    Buy him a nice new watch that has dual time or even better tells the time in different zones.

Get it engraved so that he'll always remember it was from his favourite Auntie Rainbow. :_)

I like both these ideas - I think it may end up being one of these.

Jimmy - If he ever ever EVER calls me a**tie, I will shoot him - he calls me Babe like everyone else :p

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions :)
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eight cans of Fosters? He's not going to be able to get any when he gets out there. The Aussies have never heard of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about giving him money - but in Australian dollars - which would be more personal (showing you've thought about it) but also welcome and useful?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Present for an 18 year old boy? Hmmm.... How about an nice 18 year old girl to keep him company on his travels ;)

Seriously though, a bit boring but how about a high quality multi-tool such as a leatherman or similiar, you could even have it engraved. Would almost *certainly* come in handy at some stage during his travels!

have a look at www.minitools.co.uk
  • Options
    housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not make him a book of vouchers that he can redeem from you anytime?
    Eg, he needs a lift somewhere so gives you the appropriate voucher and so you take him wherever.

Other voucher ideas could include - cooking him a meal, running an errand, running a bath, bj, cleaning up, reverse charge calls etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    housewife wrote: »
    Eg, he needs a lift somewhere so gives you the appropriate voucher and so you take him wherever.

Other voucher ideas could include - cooking him a meal, running an errand, running a bath, bj, cleaning up, reverse charge calls etc

HOUSEWIFE!!!!!! A bj? This is her nephew!!!!!
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mallard33 wrote: »
    HOUSEWIFE!!!!!! A bj? This is her nephew!!!!!

She suggests that as a present for everybody. Even for women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housewife wrote: »

Well - as he is my step-nephew and there is actually no blood between us then this would not actually be illegal - but he is 18 4fuxake - why would I want to blow an 18 year old boy and why in the name of god would he want to be blown by a 48 year old woman.

But then I suppose different posters have different relationships with their nephews :rolleyes: :o