Options

4OD error - what is Kservice??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 504
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi All

Im getting the error 1920 Kservice unable to start when installing 4OD can anyone tell me what this is? and what I have to do to get it to work?

Comments

• Options
    GratingCheeseGratingCheese Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother installing 4od - it will slow down your computer no end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother installing 4od - it will slow down your computer no end.

I have been using 4OD for a while now and it hasnt slowed down my machines (Both PC and Laptop).

That could possibly be, Because I dont download anything, I just use the streaming facility. But even then, The KService is open and running and that is what is supposed to do the slowing down.

Sorry I cant help with your problem branaghburgers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Is it another of those Kontiki Services similar to iPlayer's designed to turn your PC into a distribution drone?
  • Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote: »
    Is it another of those Kontiki Services similar to iPlayer's designed to turn your PC into a distribution drone?

Yes, it's the Skype of TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FiberOptic wrote: »
    I have been using 4OD for a while now and it hasnt slowed down my machines (Both PC and Laptop).

That could possibly be, Because I dont download anything, I just use the streaming facility. But even then, The KService is open and running and that is what is supposed to do the slowing down.

Sorry I cant help with your problem branaghburgers.

Erm no matter how good or bad your computer is having 4OD (Kservice.exe) WILL slow down (just like ANY other piece of software) your computer.

If you don't believe me go into the processes tab on task manager and look and how much memory it is using it also uses a lot of processor time.

It dosnt matter if you dont download anything from 4OD. It is peer to peer based. 4OD is bad because they use your bandwidth to send other people content sort of like an uncontrollable torrent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Eamondo wrote: »
    Erm no matter how good or bad your computer is having 4OD (Kservice.exe) WILL slow down (just like ANY other piece of software) your computer.

If you don't believe me go into the processes tab on task manager and look and how much memory it is using it also uses a lot of processor time.

It dosnt matter if you dont download anything from 4OD. It is peer to peer based. 4OD is bad because they use your bandwidth to send other people content sort of like an uncontrollable torrent.

Never mind the memory usage, i downloaded an episode of hollyoaks, and was shocked to notice that over a course of 2 days it had uploaded 17gb using my connection! as a virgin media customer and with upload stm, this could have been a big problem!

Thank god for DU meter, i can now keep an eye on whats uploading using my connection (never normally more than 0.2kb)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eamondo wrote: »
    Yes, it's P2P, it shares what you've downloaded with others. If you dont download anything, it won't use your bandwidth as there is nothing for you to share.