Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Do you get charged for using supermarket "cashback" facilities by credit card company

Old 17-01-2008, 19:25
stevenoon
Forum Member

Hi all,

I was wondering - instead of paying a fee to use my credit card in the cash machine (which I don't anyway out of principle) - if I used the "cash back" facility which has been offered in the past by ASDA - due either the supermarket or credit card company make any charges?

I haven't heard ASDA offering "cash back" for a while now - does anyone know if they still offer the service?

When I last heard them offer it I didn't have a credit card but I do now and was wondering if the service would be useful to me?

Many thanks,

Steve.
stevenoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-01-2008, 19:27
DinkyDoo
Forum Member

I work at Asda and I can tell you now, that you wont ever get asked if you want cashback if you are using a credit card.

The tills dont offer the option when paying by credit card, only debit cards give the option to get cashback.
DinkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:28
grtrekkie
Forum Member

you will only get charged if you use the credit card in a cash machine to withdraw money. normally about 2%
grtrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:43
stevenoon
Forum Member

Many thanks for the info - I was just curious to see if it was possible to avoid the cash advance fee (either 2.5 or 3% not sure which need to find out).

I guess the credit card companies don't allow retailers to offer cash back on credit card transactions because they wouldn't be able to collect their cash advance fee from the ATM's. I appreciate the cost of the logistics involved to keep the ATM's restocked but I think 2-3 percent is a bit steep perhaps?

Steve.
stevenoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:48
stud u like
Forum Member

Some credit cards give you cash back when you shop in a supermarket. Barclaycard does.

However from what I read this is a different terminology and they give you the money as a loyalty bonus for how much you spend.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:55
Dissonance
Forum Member

If you have a local independent shop that has a card machine separate to their till units, and a good rapport with the cashier, then it is possible that they can 'overcharge' you on the cad machine and give you the 'change'. I have done this a few times, but don't do it that often - I think if you did it a lot then they wouldn't do it. Like I say, you will probably need to know the person behind the counter and it is probable that very few places will do it...
Dissonance is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:35
duffystev
Forum Member

Remember not only do you pay a fee for cash from Credit Card but the interest rate for cash is high as well.
It's not a good idea to get cash off your Credit Card.
duffystev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:42
cordunkni
Forum Member

Remember not only do you pay a fee for cash from Credit Card but the interest rate for cash is high as well.
It's not a good idea to get cash off your Credit Card.
And interest is charged from that day - there's no grace period like there is for purchases.
cordunkni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:51
duffystev
Forum Member

And interest is charged from that day - there's no grace period like there is for purchases.

I didn't know that but I don't use my credit card for cash.
duffystev is offline   Reply With Quote