Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Inbreeding jokes

Old 02-02-2008, 07:43
Recharge
Forum Member

I know there's probably not much funny about incest and the like, but I've noticed that in the UK we seem to talk about a few places where the entire population are apparently all related ... it seems we can't either make up our mind or half the country is supposedly inbred.

I've heard these places been made the butt of inbreeding jokes:
Cornwall
Norfolk
Somerset

I also think I've heard similar sentiments about the Scottish Highlands & Yorkshire ...

I imagine a lot of other places have been too, then there is good old Clarkson who says the middle parts of America are inbred too ...

Maybe we should see who isn't the butt of inbreeding jokes and assume its because they do it ...
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:05
palefire
Forum Member

Hi there, Recharge:

Stereotypically, those who live in poorer, rural areas are supposed to engage in inbreeding. Whilst this isn't false, it isn't just them - the aristocracy is the biggest system of inbreeding that I know of.
palefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:21
blueblade
Forum Member

Hi there, Recharge:

Stereotypically, those who live in poorer, rural areas are supposed to engage in inbreeding. Whilst this isn't false, it isn't just them - the aristocracy is the biggest system of inbreeding that I know of.
Exactly. It was inbreeding which was rumoured to be responsible for the haemophilia which affected the old Russian royal family, for example.

There may be some inbreeding, in it's truest sense, in rural areas. But I suspect that it's merely that most marriages have involved people from the same town or village.
blueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26
flicker
Forum Member

Well I'm highly suspicious of where I'm living. In my cul-de-sac of 16 houses, the occupants of 5 of them are named "Jones"
flicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:45
rob1973
Forum Member

If you enjoy incest then gimme 6!
rob1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:17
Tidosho
Forum Member

You know you're in that kind of place when some introduces you to their wife and cousin
and there's only one person next to them.
Tidosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

The winner of the recent Big Brother show made a "joke" about the circus siblings on the show being incestuous.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49
stud u like
Forum Member

I know there's probably not much funny about incest and the like, but I've noticed that in the UK we seem to talk about a few places where the entire population are apparently all related ... it seems we can't either make up our mind or half the country is supposedly inbred.

I've heard these places been made the butt of inbreeding jokes:
Cornwall
Norfolk
Somerset

I also think I've heard similar sentiments about the Scottish Highlands & Yorkshire ...

I imagine a lot of other places have been too, then there is good old Clarkson who says the middle parts of America are inbred too ...

Maybe we should see who isn't the butt of inbreeding jokes and assume its because they do it ...
Romney Marsh is often mentioned for being a place where brothers fancy their sisters and don't have televisions.

Sheep come into the equation a lot too.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:51
Caxton
Forum Member

Add Lincolnshire to that list.
Caxton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:02
ChristineCagney
Forum Member

the royal family.
ChristineCagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:03
stud u like
Forum Member

Kitty Kelly described them as "mad,bad,hairy or bisexual"
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11
Smudgie
Forum Member

Local legend regarding a hamlet near me is that 100-odd years ago all the houses were occupied by one big happy family, who not only indulged in inbreeding, but also cannibalism, preying on unwary travellers...

Of course, it's all posh types who live there now.
Smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:19
Gurgles
Forum Member

Exactly. It was inbreeding which was rumoured to be responsible for the haemophilia which affected the old Russian royal family, for example.

There may be some inbreeding, in it's truest sense, in rural areas. But I suspect that it's merely that most marriages have involved people from the same town or village.
That's true. It also affected the British royal family too, as one of Queen Victoria's sons had it.

The Amish people have an extremely high proportion of their population suffering from rare genetic illnesses due to two centuries of inbreeding.
Gurgles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28
nitpick
Forum Member

Wherever Pop Duo "Same Difference" come from?

But COUSIN marriages (still are and) have always been popular. It has been speculated that (over human history) such degrees of relationship, were actually MORE common than marriage to strangers. Mostly due to lack of potential partners and a desire to keep property within families!

Upto and including 1st cousins, e.g. the mortality rate due to "bad" (recessive etc.) genes is more than balanced by a potential rejection of a "strange" foetus by the mother. But, in the "West", we are more influenced by religious taboos, than hard science? And there is great variance...
nitpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32
peonypot
Forum Member

I once read in a mag (Biizare i think) That some council estates were really bad for inbreeding . Not sure how true it is though .

I dont know how to put this in a "PC" way , but you do tend to get certain types of familys that seem to come from these areas . You do in my town anyway
peonypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34
dorydaryl
Forum Member

Local legend regarding a hamlet near me is that 100-odd years ago all the houses were occupied by one big happy family, who not only indulged in inbreeding, but also cannibalism, preying on unwary travellers...

Of course, it's all posh types who live there now.

Oh, yes. They covered that in Torchwood!
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13
sweeney123
Forum Member

If you enjoy incest then gimme 6!
Funniest thing so far today
sweeney123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:22
Nicol(in)a
Forum Member

I once read in a mag (Biizare i think) That some council estates were really bad for inbreeding . Not sure how true it is though .
My OH and I were discussing this. Imagine in big communities like an estate, how many illegiatimate children there could be - you could end up dating you half-bro or sis and not realise!
Nicol(in)a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25
mollymorals
Banned User

just the thought of ever getting it together with one of my cousins makes me cringe....sorry

molly x
mollymorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35
Ignazio
Forum Member

Well it's not a joke, but didn't King George III have porphyria and it's almost certain that William of Gloucester (elder brother of the present duke) had the disease. There seems to be strong evidence that other other members of the Royal Family also carried the gene, which originated according to this article with Mary Queen of Scots.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office.../article1.html

Of course various cults forbid marriage outside the following - no doubt with similar consequences.

Last edited by Ignazio : 02-02-2008 at 11:42. Reason: added to post
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:10
newwoman

Norwich Football Club often get this chanted at them from opposition fans

(To the tune of The Addams Family)
Your sister is your mother,
Your uncle is your brother
You all f@*k one another,
The Norwich family der der der der clap clap etc